test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spike

Politics & Stuff

Started by Spike,

8,623 posts in this topic

The irony of Donny "mobster" Trump accusing anyone of being a criminal... :D I mean, the guy who tampered with a witness via twitter! 

"To be sure, Trump's upbringing in Queens, where the Mafia was ubiquitous, helped form his wiseguy persona." https://www.newsweek.com/2019/01/18/donald-trump-mafia-connections-decades-later-linked-mob-1285771.html

doesn't that explain a lot?

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy,” Trump told New York Magazine that year for a story headlined “Jeffrey Epstein: International Moneyman of Mystery.” “He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”

Now if almost half the population is that stupid, I'm not sure we deserve anything better. I mean how how many times can you listen to an anti-masker talk about how masks are not "effective" for me me me... :(  I feel for the rest of the world, I really do, but Trump remaining in power will just accelerate the inevitable... the irony of it all is that when the USA experiment finally fails, the rightwing supporters will end up in all the wrong places (countries) - at which point they may finally understand where all that money actually came from.

11Drogba and Vesper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

The irony of Donny "mobster" Trump accusing anyone of being a criminal... :D I mean, the guy who tampered with a witness via twitter! 

"To be sure, Trump's upbringing in Queens, where the Mafia was ubiquitous, helped form his wiseguy persona." https://www.newsweek.com/2019/01/18/donald-trump-mafia-connections-decades-later-linked-mob-1285771.html

doesn't that explain a lot?

"I’ve known Jeff for fifteen years. Terrific guy,” Trump told New York Magazine that year for a story headlined “Jeffrey Epstein: International Moneyman of Mystery.” “He’s a lot of fun to be with. It is even said that he likes beautiful women as much as I do, and many of them are on the younger side. No doubt about it — Jeffrey enjoys his social life.”

Now if almost half the population is that stupid, I'm not sure we deserve anything better. I mean how how many times can you listen to an anti-masker talk about how masks are not "effective" for me me me... :(  I feel for the rest of the world, I really do, but Trump remaining in power will just accelerate the inevitable... the irony of it all is that when the USA experiment finally fails, the rightwing supporters will end up in the wrong places (countries) - then they may finally understand where all that money actually came from.

 

Donald Trump thinks Ivanka is 'hot' and would 'date her if she wasn't my daughter

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/donald-trump-thinks-ivanka-hot-22781403

Back in 2003, when Ivanka was just 22, Trump appeared on the Howard Stern Show, where he described her as "one of the great beauties of the world".

So far, so good. But then Trump went on to say "my daughter, Ivanka. She’s 6 feet tall, she’s got the best body" before bragging about how much money she'd made from modelling.

The following year, in a New York magazine interview, Trump went further.

He said: "Ivanka is a great, great beauty. Every guy in the country wants to go out with my daughter. But she’s got a boyfriend."

And things went from bad to worse when Trump, once again on the Howard Stern Show, agreed that his daughter was "a piece of ass".

Two years later, while promoting their new series of The Apprentice, Donald and Ivanka appeared on talk show, The View - and things got really weird.

Trump was asked how he would have felt in Ivanka had posed in Playboy during her modelling days.

He replied: "It would be really disappointing — not really — but it would depend on what's inside the magazine.

"I don't think Ivanka would do that, although she does have a very nice figure. I've said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her."

“Isn’t that terrible? How terrible? Is that terrible?” 

In an interview with CBS News, Ivanka admitted she found claims made in a New York Times article that Trump had asked people if they thought she was "hot" "pretty disturbing".

 

Donald Trump's comments about daughter raise eyebrows - CNN VideoThe connections between Jeffrey Epstein and Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort -  Business InsiderRemembering Ivanka Trump's Life Before Things Got Complicated - E! OnlineThese photos of Trump and Ivanka will make you deeply uncomfortable - Metro  USTeen models, powerful men and private dinners: when Trump hosted Look of  the Year | US news | The GuardianPaul Leigh on Twitter: "Donald, Melania, Epstein and Ghislaine were thick  as thieves in the 80s.… "Ivanka Trump to Assume First Lady Role. Why Is Our Media Pretending This Is  Normal??What Can Ivanka Trump Possibly Do for Women Who Work? | The NationTrump banned Jeffrey Epstein from Mar-a-Lago for hitting on girl

robsblubot and Atomiswave like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry can't click like on your post... just does not feel... right. :)

heh the religious right isn't what it used to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Yorker Suspends Jeffrey Toobin for Masturbating on Zoom Call

The call was an election simulation featuring New Yorker all-stars. Toobin apologized for the "embarrassingly stupid mistake."
 
Jeffrey Toobin suspended from New Yorker, on leave from CNN, after  accidentally exposing himself on Zoom call - CNN
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bat Shit Crazy GIFs | Tenor

Pat Robertson: Trump will be reelected — and then the End Times will begin

https://deadstate.org/pat-robertson-trump-will-be-reelected-and-then-the-end-times-will-begin/

pat-robertsonscreen-grab-via-youtube-.jpeg

Speaking on his 700 Club TV show this Tuesday, evangelist Pat Robertson had some bittersweet news for supporters of President Trump. Robertson says God told him Trump will be reelected, but the End Times will start soon thereafter.

The veteran Christian evangelist said that Trump is going to win “without question,” but after he’s is sworn in, “trouble is going to happen.”

According to Robertson, Trump will face challenges from the Chinese, a nuclear-armed North Korea, the Russians — “after Trump is sworn in, we’re going to see civic disobedience in America that will just be mind-boggling.” He then cited more than one passage from the Bible to back up his assertions about future world events.

Robertson said that after these tribulations, there will be a “great spiritual revival” all over the world, proceeded by a period of peace — and then possibly an asteroid hitting the earth, bringing about the End Times.

That’s a hell of an endorsement for Trump.

Watch the video below:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Nigeria the Army opened fire on peaceful #EndSARS Protesters even as they all sat down singing the national anthem.

The world is not speaking enough about this. There is a dictator in power here

Fulham Broadway and Vesper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robsblubot said:

there is an opinion article on NYT today about it https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/opinion/chimamanda-adichie-nigeria-protests.html
it's prob behind a paywall though.

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Nigeria Is Murdering Its Citizens

Under President Muhammadu Buhari, there is a sense that the country could burn to the ground.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/opinion/chimamanda-adichie-nigeria-protests.html

21adichie-01-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

LAGOS, Nigeria — For years, the name SARS hung in the air here in Nigeria like a putrid fog. SARS, which stood for Special Anti-Robbery Squad, was supposed to be the elite Nigerian police unit dedicated to fighting crime, but it was really a moneymaking terror squad with no accountability. SARS was random, vicious, vilely extortionist. SARS officers would raid bars or stop buses on the road and arbitrarily arrest young men for such crimes as wearing their hair in dreadlocks, having tattoos, holding a nice phone or a laptop, driving a nice car. Then they would demand large amounts of money as “bail.”

SARS officers once arrested my cousin at a beer parlor because he arrived driving a Mercedes. They accused him of being an armed robber, ignored the work ID cards he showed them, took him to a station where they threatened to photograph him next to a gun and claim he was a robber, unless he paid them a large sum of money. My cousin is one of the fortunate few who could pay an amount large enough for SARS, and who was released. He is not one of the many tortured, or the many disappeared, like Chijioke Iloanya.

In 2012 Mr. Iloanya was 20 when SARS officers arrested him at a child dedication ceremony in Anambra State. He had committed no crime. His family tried to pay to have him released but were asked to bring more money than they had. So they sold their property to raise money and went back to the SARS office but Mr. Iloanya was no longer there. They have not seen him since. Photos of him on social media show a young man, still almost a child, with sensitive eyes and a future waiting for him. There are so many families like the Iloanyas who are caught between pain and hope, because their sons and brothers were arrested by SARS and they fear the worst, knowing the reputation of SARS, but still they dare to hope in the desperate way we humans do for those we love.

There have been End SARS protests, since 2016, but October 2020 was different, a tipping point had been reached. The protests signaled the overturning of convention — the protesters insisted on not having a central leadership, it was social rather than traditional media that documented the protests, and, in a country with firm class divisions, the protests cut across class. The protests were peaceful, insistently peaceful, consistently peaceful. They were organized mostly on social media by young Nigerians, born in the 1980s and 1990s, a disaffected generation with the courage to act. Their bravery is inspiring. They speak to hope and to the possibility of what Nigeria could become. Of those involved in the organization, none is more remarkable than a group called Feminist Coalition, set up by Nigerian feminists, who have raised more than $180,000, and have provided legal aid, security and food to protesters.

But the Nigerian government tried to disrupt their fund-raising. The Nigerian government has reportedly accused Flutterwave, the company through which the donation link was created, of accepting funds from terrorists, even though it is clear that Feminist Coalition’s members are not terrorists. Their fund-raising link suddenly stopped working. Still, they persisted, and began to raise money through Bitcoin.

From the capital city of Abuja to the small town of Ogbomosho, state agents attacked and beat up protesters. The police killed a few and detained many others, until social media and video evidence forced them to release some of the detained. Still, the protesters persisted.

The Lagos State government accused protesters of violence, but it defied common sense that a protest so consistently committed to peaceful means would suddenly turn around and become violent. Protesters know they have everything to lose in a country like Nigeria where the mere hint of violence gives free reign to murderous security forces. Nigeria’s political culture is steeped in state-sponsored thuggery. Politicians routinely hire thugs to cause chaos, especially during elections, and many people believed that thugs had been hired to compromise the protests. On social media, videos that attested to this — of thugs getting into SUVs that belonged to the government, of hardened and hungry young men admitting they were paid to join the protests and become violent. Still, the protesters persisted.

At about noon on Oct. 20, 2020, about two weeks into the protests, the Lagos State governor suddenly announced a curfew that would begin at 4 p.m., which gave people in a famously traffic-clogged state only a few hours to get home and hunker down. I feared that a curfew would provide an excuse for state violence, that in the name of restoring order, the army and police would unleash violence. Still, I was unprepared for the carnage that followed at the Lekki Toll Gate, the most prominent in Lagos. Government officials reportedly cut the security cameras, then cut off the bright floodlights, leaving only a darkness heavy with foreboding. The protesters were holding Nigerian flags, sitting on the ground, some kneeling, some singing the national anthem, peaceful and determined.

A blurry video of what happened next has gone viral — soldiers walk toward the protesters with a terrifyingly casual calm, the kind of calm you cannot have if you are under attack, and they shoot, not up in the air, which anyway would still be an atrocity when dealing with peaceful protesters, but with their guns at arm level, shooting into a crowd of people, shooting to kill. Sparks of gunfire taint the air. It is still unclear how many died. Those at the scene say that the Nigerian army took away some bodies, and prevented ambulances from getting in to help the injured, and that there was still shooting going on hours later, in the morning.

The Nigerian state has turned on its people. The only reason to shoot into a crowd of peaceful citizens is to terrorize: to kill some and make the others back down. It is a colossal and unforgivable crime. The brazenness is chilling, that the state would murder its citizens, in such an obviously premeditated way, as though certain of the lack of consequences.

It is anarchy, a friend told me. Nigeria is descending into chaos, another friend said. They may be right, but “anarchy” and “chaos” are different ways of using language to shield what is fundamentally to blame — a failure of leadership. It did not have to be like this. The government of President Muhammadu Buhari has long been ineffectual, with a kind of willful indifference. Under his leadership, insecurity has worsened; there is the sense that Nigeria could very well burn to the ground while the president remains malevolently aloof. The president himself has often telegraphed a contemptuous self-righteousness, as though engaging fully with Nigerians is beneath him. Twelve hours after soldiers shot peaceful protesters, Mr. Buhari still had not addressed the nation.

A movement cannot spread so organically and widely across Nigeria if it does not legitimately reflect the grievances of ordinary people. A democratically elected government that is unable or unwilling to fully address those grievances has failed.

In the first week of the protests, the president sent out a tweet and then gave a flaccid speech about ending SARS. The inspector general of police has announced that SARS has been scrapped, but the government has announced the dissolution of SARS a few times in the past, starting in 2017. Because Nigerians are so accustomed to the two-faced nature of their governments, to promises destroyed even before being made, it is unsurprising that the protesters distrust the government and are demanding clear actions rather than words.

For weeks I have been in my ancestral hometown, where we first buried my beloved father, and then a week later, buried his only sister, my Aunt Rebecca. Immersed in my own raw grief, the frequent moments of stunned sorrow, thinking of my father’s casket being lowered into the rain-softened earth, wondering if it might still all be a bad dream, I think with a new kind of poignancy about those who have been killed. I think of their families brutally plunged into the terrible abyss of grief, made more terrible by the knowledge that their loved ones were killed by their country. And for what? Because they peacefully asked to be allowed to live.

 

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a novelist and the author, most recently, of “Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions.”

robsblubot and kellzfresh like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Vesper said:

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Nigeria Is Murdering Its Citizens

Under President Muhammadu Buhari, there is a sense that the country could burn to the ground.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/21/opinion/chimamanda-adichie-nigeria-protests.html

21adichie-01-articleLarge-v2.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

LAGOS, Nigeria — For years, the name SARS hung in the air here in Nigeria like a putrid fog. SARS, which stood for Special Anti-Robbery Squad, was supposed to be the elite Nigerian police unit dedicated to fighting crime, but it was really a moneymaking terror squad with no accountability. SARS was random, vicious, vilely extortionist. SARS officers would raid bars or stop buses on the road and arbitrarily arrest young men for such crimes as wearing their hair in dreadlocks, having tattoos, holding a nice phone or a laptop, driving a nice car. Then they would demand large amounts of money as “bail.”

SARS officers once arrested my cousin at a beer parlor because he arrived driving a Mercedes. They accused him of being an armed robber, ignored the work ID cards he showed them, took him to a station where they threatened to photograph him next to a gun and claim he was a robber, unless he paid them a large sum of money. My cousin is one of the fortunate few who could pay an amount large enough for SARS, and who was released. He is not one of the many tortured, or the many disappeared, like Chijioke Iloanya.

In 2012 Mr. Iloanya was 20 when SARS officers arrested him at a child dedication ceremony in Anambra State. He had committed no crime. His family tried to pay to have him released but were asked to bring more money than they had. So they sold their property to raise money and went back to the SARS office but Mr. Iloanya was no longer there. They have not seen him since. Photos of him on social media show a young man, still almost a child, with sensitive eyes and a future waiting for him. There are so many families like the Iloanyas who are caught between pain and hope, because their sons and brothers were arrested by SARS and they fear the worst, knowing the reputation of SARS, but still they dare to hope in the desperate way we humans do for those we love.

There have been End SARS protests, since 2016, but October 2020 was different, a tipping point had been reached. The protests signaled the overturning of convention — the protesters insisted on not having a central leadership, it was social rather than traditional media that documented the protests, and, in a country with firm class divisions, the protests cut across class. The protests were peaceful, insistently peaceful, consistently peaceful. They were organized mostly on social media by young Nigerians, born in the 1980s and 1990s, a disaffected generation with the courage to act. Their bravery is inspiring. They speak to hope and to the possibility of what Nigeria could become. Of those involved in the organization, none is more remarkable than a group called Feminist Coalition, set up by Nigerian feminists, who have raised more than $180,000, and have provided legal aid, security and food to protesters.

But the Nigerian government tried to disrupt their fund-raising. The Nigerian government has reportedly accused Flutterwave, the company through which the donation link was created, of accepting funds from terrorists, even though it is clear that Feminist Coalition’s members are not terrorists. Their fund-raising link suddenly stopped working. Still, they persisted, and began to raise money through Bitcoin.

From the capital city of Abuja to the small town of Ogbomosho, state agents attacked and beat up protesters. The police killed a few and detained many others, until social media and video evidence forced them to release some of the detained. Still, the protesters persisted.

The Lagos State government accused protesters of violence, but it defied common sense that a protest so consistently committed to peaceful means would suddenly turn around and become violent. Protesters know they have everything to lose in a country like Nigeria where the mere hint of violence gives free reign to murderous security forces. Nigeria’s political culture is steeped in state-sponsored thuggery. Politicians routinely hire thugs to cause chaos, especially during elections, and many people believed that thugs had been hired to compromise the protests. On social media, videos that attested to this — of thugs getting into SUVs that belonged to the government, of hardened and hungry young men admitting they were paid to join the protests and become violent. Still, the protesters persisted.

At about noon on Oct. 20, 2020, about two weeks into the protests, the Lagos State governor suddenly announced a curfew that would begin at 4 p.m., which gave people in a famously traffic-clogged state only a few hours to get home and hunker down. I feared that a curfew would provide an excuse for state violence, that in the name of restoring order, the army and police would unleash violence. Still, I was unprepared for the carnage that followed at the Lekki Toll Gate, the most prominent in Lagos. Government officials reportedly cut the security cameras, then cut off the bright floodlights, leaving only a darkness heavy with foreboding. The protesters were holding Nigerian flags, sitting on the ground, some kneeling, some singing the national anthem, peaceful and determined.

A blurry video of what happened next has gone viral — soldiers walk toward the protesters with a terrifyingly casual calm, the kind of calm you cannot have if you are under attack, and they shoot, not up in the air, which anyway would still be an atrocity when dealing with peaceful protesters, but with their guns at arm level, shooting into a crowd of people, shooting to kill. Sparks of gunfire taint the air. It is still unclear how many died. Those at the scene say that the Nigerian army took away some bodies, and prevented ambulances from getting in to help the injured, and that there was still shooting going on hours later, in the morning.

The Nigerian state has turned on its people. The only reason to shoot into a crowd of peaceful citizens is to terrorize: to kill some and make the others back down. It is a colossal and unforgivable crime. The brazenness is chilling, that the state would murder its citizens, in such an obviously premeditated way, as though certain of the lack of consequences.

It is anarchy, a friend told me. Nigeria is descending into chaos, another friend said. They may be right, but “anarchy” and “chaos” are different ways of using language to shield what is fundamentally to blame — a failure of leadership. It did not have to be like this. The government of President Muhammadu Buhari has long been ineffectual, with a kind of willful indifference. Under his leadership, insecurity has worsened; there is the sense that Nigeria could very well burn to the ground while the president remains malevolently aloof. The president himself has often telegraphed a contemptuous self-righteousness, as though engaging fully with Nigerians is beneath him. Twelve hours after soldiers shot peaceful protesters, Mr. Buhari still had not addressed the nation.

A movement cannot spread so organically and widely across Nigeria if it does not legitimately reflect the grievances of ordinary people. A democratically elected government that is unable or unwilling to fully address those grievances has failed.

In the first week of the protests, the president sent out a tweet and then gave a flaccid speech about ending SARS. The inspector general of police has announced that SARS has been scrapped, but the government has announced the dissolution of SARS a few times in the past, starting in 2017. Because Nigerians are so accustomed to the two-faced nature of their governments, to promises destroyed even before being made, it is unsurprising that the protesters distrust the government and are demanding clear actions rather than words.

For weeks I have been in my ancestral hometown, where we first buried my beloved father, and then a week later, buried his only sister, my Aunt Rebecca. Immersed in my own raw grief, the frequent moments of stunned sorrow, thinking of my father’s casket being lowered into the rain-softened earth, wondering if it might still all be a bad dream, I think with a new kind of poignancy about those who have been killed. I think of their families brutally plunged into the terrible abyss of grief, made more terrible by the knowledge that their loved ones were killed by their country. And for what? Because they peacefully asked to be allowed to live.

 

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a novelist and the author, most recently, of “Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions.”

So sad. I hope the president one day pays for this crime.

Fulham Broadway and Vesper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love Trump to do interview with Colbert again.

That would be more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the interview and It's clear that Trump is only concern about economic development. Everything else is flying from one ear to the next. While Biden is concerned about public health. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

Biden keeps yelling and yelling... 

bullshit

you have balls of brass trying to accuse anyone versus Trump of yelling

Trump is in a perpetual rage for the last 5 and half years, ever since that fat fuck racist cut came down the escalator in Trump Tower on June 16, 2015, and kicked off his campaign of hate, ignorance, greed, and death by calling Mexicans rapists and killers

stop the fucking gaslighting

11Drogba likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Vesper said:

bullshit

you have balls of brass trying to accuse anyone versus Trump of yelling

Trump is in a perpetual rage for the last 5 and half years, ever since that fat fuck racist cut came down the escalator in Trump Tower on June 16, 2015, and kicked off his campaign of hate, ignorance, greed, and death by calling Mexicans rapists and killers

stop the fucking gaslighting

wow okayyyy....?

I simply made an observation on what was happening for a good 20 minutes of the debate. Biden, who usually is pretty calm, raised his voice numerous times while answering pretty routine questions. He even pointed angrily at the moderator for a while as he was yelling. While Trump has much history with raising his voice, he didn't do that on this occation. 

My comment had nothing to do with me saying that Trump is better or vice-versa. Just a funny observation.

Vesper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.