Spike

WORLD: The Wuhan coronavirus is spreading faster and faster. Reminder: last month, a mysterious new virus popped up in the city of Wuhan, China. The virus - dubbed the Wuhan coronavirus - has pneumonia-like symptoms and is giving the world flashbacks to SARS (aka Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome), which killed 774 people and sickened thousands across Asia in 2002 and 2003. Already, the Wuhan coronavirus has killed 106 people, infected more than 4,500, and spread to 18 countries. In response, the stock market dropped around the world, with the Dow falling over 450 points. And over in Hong Kong, authorities are cutting off travelers from mainland China - while the US is warning Americans to stay away from China. 

USA: Everyone’s talking about John Bolton. We’ll remind you: a central part of the Dems’ bid to impeach Prez Trump is the fact that he withheld hundreds of millions of dollars in military aid to Ukraine around the same time he asked the Ukranian gov to pretty please investigate the Bidens. A central part of Trump’s defense: he was only hoarding the aid because he was worried about corruption in Ukraine. But recently, a certain former national security advisor’s book draft was leaked (cough, John Bolton, cough) - revealing that Prez Trump wanted to keep freezing aid until Ukraine opened up an investigation. Now, it looks like some Republicans (see: Mitt Romney) may side with Dems and call for witnesses. Meanwhile, General Motors is going electric

POLITICS: A lot is going on in Israel. Quick refresher: over the past few years, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s been accused of great things like corruption and bribery - leading the Israeli police to recommend indicting him. That left a huge question mark on whether Israel’s attorney general would take their advice. Fast forward to a few hours ago, and...the AG filed a formal indictment in court against Netanyahu. No word yet on what comes next. Speaking of which, Prez Trump’s set to unveil his Mideast peace deal with Netanyahu today. The deal’s expected to aim for peace in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict - but some say it favors Israel. Stay tuned. 

Trump unveiled his Mideast 'peace' plan. What a joke.

THE BACKGROUND. 

For forever, there’s been debate over what parts of Israel belong to whom. Palestinians currently have the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, but Hamas (which has been labelled a terrorist group) has attacked Israel for years - leading to lots of violence and death on both sides. In retaliation, Israel started building settlements in Palestinian territories - a move that’s been criticized by much of the world. Scene, set. 

THE HAPPENINGS. 

ICYDK, for months, Jared Kushner (Prez Trump’s son-in-law) has been working on a Mideast peace plan. That plan was unveiled yesterday by Trump and Israel’s prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu. We’ll fill you in. The plan gives Israel nearly full control of Jerusalem and lets it seize about 30% of the West Bank. Palestinians would get the other 70% - plus the Gaza Strip and a capital in East Jerusalem. Oh, and the deal calls for $50 billion in investments in the Palestinian economy. 

THE REACTION. 

Kushner says this is a “big opportunity” for Palestinians - while Trump is calling this a “win-win.” Palestinian leaders disagree. And have already shaken their heads to the plan. All of this comes just after Trump was impeached and Netanyahu was indicted over alleged corruption and bribery - leading some to see this plan as a distraction. 

SO…?

So far, it doesn’t look like Palestinians are on board with this plan. TBD on what comes next. 

8 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

If Democrats were not stupid Bernie would be president now. They blocked him so Hillary could win. Let's hope they learned mistakes... Sanders is best candidate in decades...

That bitter old war slag Hillary is out yet again trashing Sanders and refighting 2016. She and Trump are the two most detestable yank presidential candidates in my lifetime by far. They both are pure cunts.

#madeforeachother

She is going to fuck about, alienate the left so much (as will Biden), that Trump may win again.

Just now, Vesper said:

He didn't win the primaries.

They are all called candidates though.https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/politics/iowa-candidates-senate-impeachment-trial/index.html

Anyway I just wanted mention him. I think he was the worst as if he came straight from the middle ages.

Just now, 11Drogba said:

They are all called candidates though.https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/politics/iowa-candidates-senate-impeachment-trial/index.html

Anyway I just wanted mention him. I think he was the worst as if he came straight from the middle ages.

I should have said general election.

I've been following the impeachment proceedings since the beginning and my feeling is that the democrats have fucked this up by rushing things, obviously because they wanted to get it done before elections. I don't disagree with them at all, I think Trump should be kicked out for far less than the Ukraine thing, but they didn't do a thorough enough job before bringing it on trial to the senate. Sure they probably never expected for him to be removed from office by republican controlled senate, but they instead wanted to use these public proceedings to tarnish his reputation as much as they can before elections. Last night's vote not to bring in any more witnesses or documents is the end of it, they didn't manage to bring any bombshells to the American public. All hopes were on Bolton, but they failed to bring him in in the House and in the Senate. Now Trump will be possibly bipartisanly acquited, he will become more arrogant and destructive to American society and politics globally, because he can now get away with basically anything. If nothing what he has done during his presidency is impeachable, if none of that is enough to remove someone from office, then I worry about the future if the fucker gets re-elected.

Leeuwarden replaces Union Jack with Saltire in EU flags lineup

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18204367.leeuwarden-replaces-union-jack-saltire-eu-flags-lineup/

Dutch councillor replaces Union Jack with Saltire in city's EU flags lineup. Photograph: Jan Ligthart

A DUTCH city has marked its solidarity for post-Brexit Scotland by replacing the Union Jack flag with a Saltire.

Following the UK's departure from the EU last night, the city – which has a cultural partnership with Edinburgh – had a vacant mast to fill in its line-up of EU member states' flags.

After a visit to the Robert Burns Festival in Edinburgh, Culture councillor Sjoerd Feitsma chose the Scottish flag to replace the Union Jack.