test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Spike

Politics & Stuff

Started by Spike,

8,625 posts in this topic

You got to admit it does get funny, though. I just read in the Telegraph a serious article lambasting Corbyn for wearing "mismatched jacket and trousers" and having "the top button on his shirt open" and they even had tweets from random people criticizing him for it as if that validates their article :lol:

I swear it's like these people invented snobness! :D

Daily Heil has had a pop at him for an unkempt beard. :D

I liked him in PMQ

I would never vote for him - but I like that he's forcing the complete and utter bellends in parliament to take things seriously and he's forced lots of career politicians to resign

I think he will change the political landscape in the next decade the most without ever getting elected - which will be a remarkable feat.

If he is serious about renationalised railways and power - I could be persuaded to vote for him. Yes on paper having private entities running it is best - but in the real world they are thieving arseholes ripping the country and public a new one. So I would prefer to ditch privatisation

Fulham Broadway likes this

Frankie Boyle:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/14/cameron-refugees-europe-humanitarian-british-government-migrants-camps-frankie-boyle

:clap::clap:

This part is just brilliant:

Bombing would be an interesting response to a refugee crisis, resting as it does on the theory that Syrians are fleeing not because their country is at war, but because the war itself is not big and dramatic enough to really hold their interest.

:lol:

We should welcome all Syrian refugees, but refuse entry to those ones wearing Liverpool shirts.

Btw, I read today that Corbyn is a gooner! Genuinely felt disappointed reading that :lol:

Palestinian TV: Boys Share Their Ambition to Kill Jews

Kid claims he wants to become an engineer - “so that I can blow up the Jews.”

Kill them. KILL THEM ALL!!

not one for the wankbank then ?

I'm more of a Thatcher on Reagan type of guy!

Kill them. KILL THEM ALL!!

I'm more of a Thatcher on Reagan type of guy!

Did you see Jed Bush-(Jed haha have they a Bubba Bush as well?) wants to have picture of Thatcher on $10 note or something ?

Respect to your country Chou for taking so many Syrians.

Stingray likes this

Did you see Jed Bush-(Jed haha have they a Bubba Bush as well?) wants to have picture of Thatcher on $10 note or something ?

Respect to your country Chou for taking so many Syrians.

Tbh, most of them don't have anything near a decent living here. Unless they already had money to start a business or find work (which is hard seeing as unemployment is over 40% for young Lebanese people let alone Syrians) then they have to either live in slums in the suburbs somewhere or worse in refugee camps..

Though it has gotten a bit better in the past year or so due to A LOT of work by many NGOs here you can still find people living under bridges and in public parks and you can still find children begging around busy intersections.

The fact that public schools can't accommodate both Lebanese and Syrian children despite running morning and afternoon 'shifts' coupled with the unwillingness of a lot of Syrian parents to send their kids to school means that thousands of children are not getting an education.

The lack of funding for UN organizations and NGOs helping Syrian and Iraqi refugees has been nothing short of disastrous. Then you have the worryingly rising racism against Syrians even in main stream politics among right wing Christian sectarian parties in particular which peaked about a year ago but has thankfully started to decline as everyone has started to see that all the fear mongering was pretty baseless.

But overall for most Syrian refugees they stand very slim chances of being integrated into mainstream Lebanese society and being able to lead a decent and rewarding life.

Tbh, most of them don't have anything near a decent living here. Unless they already had money to start a business or find work (which is hard seeing as unemployment is over 40% for young Lebanese people let alone Syrians) then they have to either live in slums in the suburbs somewhere or worse in refugee camps..

Though it has gotten a bit better in the past year or so due to A LOT of work by many NGOs here you can still find people living under bridges and in public parks and you can still find children begging around busy intersections.

The fact that public schools can't accommodate both Lebanese and Syrian children despite running morning and afternoon 'shifts' coupled with the unwillingness of a lot of Syrian parents to send their kids to school means that thousands of children are not getting an education.

The lack of funding for UN organizations and NGOs helping Syrian and Iraqi refugees has been nothing short of disastrous. Then you have the worryingly rising racism against Syrians even in main stream politics among right wing Christian sectarian parties in particular which peaked about a year ago but has thankfully started to decline as everyone has started to see that all the fear mongering was pretty baseless.

But overall for most Syrian refugees they stand very slim chances of being integrated into mainstream Lebanese society and being able to lead a decent and rewarding life.

Still, it puts other countries to shame, especially others in the region and has to be commended. I think Jordan has taken a hell of a lot as well.

Bottom line, is they would rather be living in a stable Syria, and are victims of circumstance. During the Kosovan crisis, 4000 + Albanians came to Britain amidst all the usual corporate media scare stories that theyre gangsters/benefit scroungers etc. Anyway, the point is, refugees in the main tend to return when conflict ceases. Once the Balkans had calmed down, less than 150 remained

His policy about allotments is why I like him , the kind of thing no one else cares about , but could really improve the country.

Still, it puts other countries to shame, especially others in the region and has to be commended. I think Jordan has taken a hell of a lot as well.

Bottom line, is they would rather be living in a stable Syria, and are victims of circumstance. During the Kosovan crisis, 4000 + Albanians came to Britain amidst all the usual corporate media scare stories that theyre gangsters/benefit scroungers etc. Anyway, the point is, refugees in the main tend to return when conflict ceases. Once the Balkans had calmed down, less than 150 remained

Lebanon has a very fragile and struggling economy as well as a massive 80 billion dollar public dept. The ridiculously rich gulf states have taken in ZERO refugees. They could have housed and fed a couple of million people for the money they've spent buying City (UAE prince) and PSG (Qatari government) alone.

Jordan have taken in about a million refugee but they've kept them in camps near the border. I'm sure those people are grateful to be safe but they are literally not allowed to actually go into Jordan and seek work...etc.

Regardless, the vast majority of people are being forced to leave and would return when it becomes safe. Leaving your country is an incredibly tough decision and trying to start a new life from scratch in a new one is even tougher. And not just financially but culturally and socially. Especially if you don't know the language.

My parents were refugees in Switzerland during the Lebanese civil war in the late 80s and early 90s (where I was actually born). They lived a small heavenly village and made more money than they can dream of making in Lebanon. Yet the moment the war ended they headed back to Lebanon. I sometimes tease them "Who the hell leaves Switzerland?!" but when I graduated and spent 7 or 8 months unemployed I refused to pursue working opportunities abroad because I didn't want to leave.

There is something inherent and instinctive about attachment to the place and culture you were born in. No one wants to leave home.

There are people that sincerely believe that the Japanese are going on a warpath through south-east Asia again.