Daniel Sturridge being selfish...

Steve

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice a lot of people have said that he's improving. In all honestly I disagree. He's getting more greedy with every game.

Is everyone simply forgetting this is his first professionally season in the Chelsea first team? That's he's not actually a winger so he's got the last-man mentality? That his direct approach to goal has actually got him 11-important goals this season?

Give the lad a break. Even Drogba was/is selfish at the best of times.. Even more so when he first came and struggled.

That's great and all, but lets be honest, it's not some innate thought process that stops him passing a ball. It's greed, pure and simple. No, he's not the only player who suffers from it, plenty do. But these players, of which Sturridge is one, need to realise that it's not all about goals. He's a great wee player, but think of all the missed opportunities he's had to just play a square ball and provide a tap in. He might want be a CF but unfortunately for him he's currently playing on the wing for club and country, and if he really wants to impress, then 11 goals + X amount of assists looks a lot better than 11 goals and being a greedy sod.

My daughter was watching the game late Sunday night. She hasn't watched much football the last few months. Her comments:

1. "Torres finally scored". Told her to quit being a hater.

2. "That one guy doesn't like to pass to Torres". I asked "Malouda?" Her response, "no, not him, the guy on the right, he doesn't pick his head up".

I can't decide if it's true greed/selfishness or tunnel vision. Maybe a combination of all.

That's great and all, but lets be honest, it's not some innate thought process that stops him passing a ball. It's greed, pure and simple. No, he's not the only player who suffers from it, plenty do. But these players, of which Sturridge is one, need to realise that it's not all about goals. He's a great wee player, but think of all the missed opportunities he's had to just play a square ball and provide a tap in. He might want be a CF but unfortunately for him he's currently playing on the wing for club and country, and if he really wants to impress, then 11 goals + X amount of assists looks a lot better than 11 goals and being a greedy sod.

Then I believe you're blind to his progress. Yeah he's selfish, that's nothing new, but he has improved a lot from how bad he used to be. He does look up but to be honest his passing isn't even that great as it is at the moment, so even when he does try the cut back it doesn't always come off, but he does attempt it. Not even going to comment on his crossing because he's effective at playing a powerful ball across the face of the goal but often there's no-one on the back post to slot home.

Sturridge only got away with being selfish because Torres was quite the opposite. And how the hell was there not a thread all of its own celebrating Torres scoring?!

Personally, I'm surprised I wasnt sectioned at SB - I was a complete basketcase

And if he would have done that, crossing instead of getting into the box and score, we would have won less matches and we would be less dangerous.

I'm not saying he's not allowed to score, I'm saying that he shouldn't be trying to barge through defenders every game and try take a shot from the base line, if there's a chance to pass the ball into the center he should take it..i guarantee we would be more dangerous.

He really needs to start passing the ball because I'm telling you right now Kakuta has already started simplifying his game and Kevin De Bruyne is probably one of the most unselfish young forward thinking players I have seen since an early 22 year old Kaka. He's going to face stiff competition next season from the 2 young players on loan.

I was watching the FSC broadcast of the match and the announcer (don't know who it was), said as teammates it must be frustrating to play with Danny. You never knew if he was going to ignore you or pass. He said it wasn't surprising that teammates got frustrated with him and why sometimes they stop running. Not saying I completely agree but I could see how it could be construed that way.

My daughter played with a teammate who was Danny to a T. Quick, fast, loved to dribble but passing was a foreign word to her. My daughter on the other hand, an attacking CM, so she loves to pass and attack. She said she hated playing with her because you'd make the run over and over again and she'd pass to you one time out of 20. I told her it was the 20th time that might get you the goal. She gave me the eye roll and said that's not the point. According to her the teammate wasn't selfish, she was stupid but that's the bluntness of a 17 year old for you. She even mentioned that her youth coach told the player "at some point your teammates are going to stop making runs because you're not willing to work with them". It continued to such an extent that the player was benched for a few games to get it through her head.

I know it's youth soccer but sometimes the basics need to be reinforced.

Then I believe you're blind to his progress. Yeah he's selfish, that's nothing new, but he has improved a lot from how bad he used to be. He does look up but to be honest his passing isn't even that great as it is at the moment, so even when he does try the cut back it doesn't always come off, but he does attempt it. Not even going to comment on his crossing because he's effective at playing a powerful ball across the face of the goal but often there's no-one on the back post to slot home.

He has a job to do, end of story. We and any amount of fans of other teams have watched how greedy he was, and how seemingly worse he's become. He has skill by the truck load which properly employed would make him an all round threat. The amount of games that go by where he just ignores easy assists is shocking. I'm talking about the ones where he gets his head up sees the chance and just decides to go alone. If Sturridge even made half of the easy assists he has the oppertunity to make he'd have as good an assist record as anybody. People talk about him wanting to impress, it's easy, pass the ball. Then like I said in my last post, he'll end the season with 11+ goals and and bag load of assists too. And that's exactly what Chelsea/England fans would want to see. He's come on well as an individual but not as a team player.

I really like Sturridge and the sooner he loses his greedy streak the better. The moment he becomes as willing to play the easy final ball as he is to go on his own, he'll look the complete player. That will impress the staff at Chelsea and England and it will impress the fans. By being greedy and not passing and therefore not assisting he holds himself back.

He has a job to do, end of story. We and any amount of fans of other teams have watched how greedy he was, and how seemingly worse he's become. He has skill by the truck load which properly employed would make him an all round threat. The amount of games that go by where he just ignores easy assists is shocking. I'm talking about the ones where he gets his head up sees the chance and just decides to go alone. If Sturridge even made half of the easy assists he has the oppertunity to make he'd have as good an assist record as anybody. People talk about him wanting to impress, it's easy, pass the ball. Then like I said in my last post, he'll end the season with 11+ goals and and bag load of assists too. And that's exactly what Chelsea/England fans would want to see. He's come on well as an individual but not as a team player.

I really like Sturridge and the sooner he loses his greedy streak the better. The moment he becomes as willing to play the easy final ball as he is to go on his own, he'll look the complete player. That will impress the staff at Chelsea and England and it will impress the fans. By being greedy and not passing and therefore not assisting he holds himself back.

That's fair. But I still go back to the fact he's still learning his position and letting go of those centre-forward instincts can't be easy for him, it is like Ronaldo's first season with United where the selfishness was in his game too but as he got older he improved drastically on that. I saw a post that says Daniel should be dropped because of this, I can't agree with this at all because despite this selfishness which could've cost us some easy goals he's still a bigger threat on goal than Torres or Drogba, his over all games proves this as much as anything.

I agree that he will make more of an impression when he starts seeing these passes and playing them. Judgement will only come with maturity and maturity will come with time. I'm sure RDM's seen it, I'm sure Drogba has a word with him too. I see progress since the beginning of the season and I remain positive that we will cut it out of his game because he does have the luxury of time.

That's fair. But I still go back to the fact he's still learning his position and letting go of those centre-forward instincts can't be easy for him, it is like Ronaldo's first season with United where the selfishness was in his game too but as he got older he improved drastically on that. I saw a post that says Daniel should be dropped because of this, I can't agree with this at all because despite this selfishness which could've cost us some easy goals he's still a bigger threat on goal than Torres or Drogba, his over all games proves this as much as anything.

I agree that he will make more of an impression when he starts seeing these passes and playing them. Judgement will only come with maturity and maturity will come with time. I'm sure RDM's seen it, I'm sure Drogba has a word with him too. I see progress since the beginning of the season and I remain positive that we will cut it out of his game because he does have the luxury of time.

I just don't buy in to the idea that these guys grow out of it, I think it's a concious decision. Also, I don't know if a greedy Ronaldo is a fair comparison to a greedy Sturridge. Ronaldo, greedy or not, brings more to the table than Danny, which was his saving grace.

As for being a bigger threat? Well, barely. He had a patch where he was fairly reliable, but he's dropped off...

Goals,

Danny: EPL 9, FA Cup 1, UCL 1. Total 11

Drogba: EPL 5, FA Cup 0, UCL 4. Total 9

Torres: EPL 2, FA Cup 2, UCL 2. Total 6

Torres I'd say is nailed on to have a higher assist rate and Drogba probably isn't far off.

Edit: I don't want to see Danny off the team, I think he should be a starter. But you can't convince me that he couldn't just make the pass if he wanted to, and if he does start to do so, then we're laughing.

I just don't buy in to the idea that these guys grow out of it, I think it's a concious decision. Also, I don't know if a greedy Ronaldo is a fair comparison to a greedy Sturridge. Ronaldo, greedy or not, brings more to the table than Danny, which was his saving grace.

As for being a bigger threat? Well, barely. He had a patch where he was fairly reliable, but he's dropped off...

Goals,

Danny: EPL 9, FA Cup 1, UCL 1. Total 11

Drogba: EPL 5, FA Cup 0, UCL 4. Total 9

Torres: EPL 2, FA Cup 2, UCL 2. Total 6

Torres I'd say is nailed on to have a higher assist rate and Drogba probably isn't far off.

I believe it lays in decision making and being mature enough (as a player) to make that right decision of the judgement on who's in a better position to score. I'm confident that's something he can grow out of, right now he's young, hungry and going for goals as much as he can get. Hell it wasn't so long that we were all praising his selfishness because no-one could even trust Torres in front of an open goal (for the record, I still don't).

And come on. I don't even need to look at goals to know Sturridge is a better player right now than Torres or Drogba. Sturridge is much more direct when going through on goal, he scares the opposition shitless and one-on-one he's more reliable than Torres certainly. Danny's pace is the biggest difference between the 3, his switch of pace is what allows us to have such a great attacking threat when we're in possession we saw that again Newcastle when Mata's balls would set Sturridge off like a bullet.

I know Torres got his brace on the weekend, but afaic, Sturridge is still currently a better player than the Spaniard and Sturridge would always be in my first XI while making that debate between Drogba & Torres. Because for all of Sturridge's negative traits (like that selfish streak) he's still able to be a threat.

I believe it lays in decision making and being mature enough (as a player) to make that right decision of the judgement on who's in a better position to score. I'm confident that's something he can grow out of, right now he's young, hungry and going for goals as much as he can get. Hell it wasn't so long that we were all praising his selfishness because no-one could even trust Torres in front of an open goal (for the record, I still don't).

And come on. I don't even need to look at goals to know Sturridge is a better player right now than Torres or Drogba. Sturridge is much more direct when going through on goal, he scares the opposition shitless and one-on-one he's more reliable than Torres certainly. Danny's pace is the biggest difference between the 3, his switch of pace is what allows us to have such a great attacking threat when we're in possession we saw that again Newcastle when Mata's balls would set Sturridge off like a bullet.

I know Torres got his brace on the weekend, but afaic, Sturridge is still currently a better player than the Spaniard and Sturridge would always be in my first XI while making that debate between Drogba & Torres. Because for all of Sturridge's negative traits (like that selfish streak) he's still able to be a threat.

Well we agree to disagree then.