test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Domino-

Thibaut Courtois

Started by Domino-,

7,943 posts in this topic
17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Coming under pressure is normal.

I agree that our defense and Thibo needs perform better but Stoke city takes 10.9 shots on average per game. http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/stoke_city/2/165/44/0/t#total_shots#avg

Against us in our home they took 16 and I don't think that's normal.

16 hours ago, Special Juan said:

That was a massive mistake from him no matter how you dress it up. Yes, he made great saves today but if you are going to push the ball that you should be holding into the path of the opposition then the good saves mean fuck all.

Guus has rotated, he's talk of rotating and without hiding, this is one area he should of rotated in because Tibo of late has not been good enough.

I agree. It didn't happen just once in that game alone, either - he did it in the first half where he punched a cross straight into the danger zone and onto Cameron's head. When punching, you look for three things:

1. Height
  2. Width
  3. Distance

Height is the most important. Even if it goes straight up in the air, the advantage is restored to the goalkeeper as he should be the first person to be able to reach the ball in the air. It also gives defenders time to reset and protect the goalmouth. Width is the next most desirable characteristic - DO NOT punch it back into the 18 yard box, but rather out towards the wings. Ideally, out for a throw-in. Then comes distance. But height and width are by far the most important as they give time for the GK and defenders to reset. However, Thibaut is achieving neither of these, and he certainly isn't getting distance, either.

15 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

Fact is we can have Begovic in front of goal instead, and I can almost guarantee that we will still not have a clean sheet

No I do totally agree - I am merely arguing that, with goalkeeping, the simple things (handling shape - "W" or "Cup", for instance) are more important. You can make outstanding saves like Thibaut did from Shaqiri in the second half, but if you're going to punch away - and punch away badly - crosses you should be comfortably claiming with both hands, there's little point. The basics need doing first. Fair enough if you get done from 20 yards with a rocket into the bottom corner - but we cannot be conceding goals like yesterday. Utterly awful. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Maybe. Maybe not. If we are going to concede, then at least make the opposition work for the goal. But if we're just going to let in some really cheap goals, then we might as well not bothered playing a goalkeeper at all. Some of the goals that Courtois has let in of late have been really poor - slow to come out of his line, getting beaten at his near post, flapping at crosses (used to be his strength!).

Exactly this, great response. Defensively we are still very poor - BUT undoubtedly more compact than under Mourinho. The simple facts suggest that Begovic kept more clean sheets in fewer games at a time when we were truly terrible and even worse defensively. 

Amblève. likes this

Because the goalkeeper that keeps the most clean sheets in 5 random games is always the best goalkeeper, yes :D

46 minutes ago, MCM4PR3Z said:

Mignolet is the best goalkeeper in the EPL, look at his clean sheet record.

Really well said. I wanted to say something about judging a keeper on clean sheets but you said it in a much better way than I could.

MCM4PR3Z likes this

PSG just posted this snippet. Dedicated to the people who think Tibo is the only one who can't defend the near post.

26 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

As usual, Courtois at the near post concedes between his legs. 

Funny thing is that all keepers concede those goals

Essien19 likes this

2 minutes ago, Essien19 said:

it's not his fault today, but people need scapegoats, everyone has his man.

Remember Oscar? ?

You mean Hazard,right? :D  I am just kidding^^

Of course,it is not TBO´s best season,but he will get better,I am very positive about that.Even Cech had his weird seasons where he made some mistakes and he still came back and showed how good he was.TBO will do the same.We have other areas,in which we lack in quality and the goalkeeper area is not the area we should focus on

Essien19 likes this

32 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

33 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Every keeper does it once in a while but Courtois concedes everytime someone approaches his near post. It's borderline amateurish now. 

I remember someone said on here that Courtois doesn't seem to be like one of those keepers who makes save after save after save and drags the team out of trouble. Sure he does produce some outstanding saves from time to time but I can't remember him having one game where the opponents didn't have a chance of beating him. Always seem to concede at least one goal and of late, he's been conceding lots of cheap goals!

He does remind me of Hilaro.Never feel fully confident with him.Makes some great saves then has some mega fucks.Clean sheets are a rare things these days!