Chelsea 1-0 Wigan

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bench Lampard for either Benayoun or Mikel. He has to learn that he doesn't have a free ticket into the team.

I think out of anyone in the squad Frank would know that best. He works hard in warm ups and im sure he works hard in training. I think Frank is lacking some confidence at the moment.

02195089' post='197379']

Looking really forward to this! My first saturday game at home since being here. Seem to be hard to come bye this year

/quote)

It's a nightmare, television always get first pick & us fans are the ones that have to shift our timetables, I know it makes the club a few bob but its difficult for peeps, especially those with familys & others that can't make Sunday games.

I will be there tomorrow, in the West stand lower for a change, looking forward to it but got the poxy flu so will have to sink a few to numb it!

We need to win this game, can't afford to drop more points & not qualifying for a CL spot would be a disaster. Like to see Alex & Benayoun given a run, also could be a game were we get Josh on for some much needed experience. I said before I've always rated N' Zogbia, has pace, gets forward, scores goals, him & Rodellga are definitely players to watch out for.

I am also interested in Ancelotti's team selection & formation, as I think he got it wrong against Utd but he now has other options with Alex & Benayoun almost fit, hopefully that will push Ramires in the middle, which imho is where he is needed.

With this game being less important, we should allow Torres a start. It's clear Drogba is a much better striker to play versus United, so Torres should be allowed 90 vs Wigan.. Drogba 90 vs United

Less important?!, you gotta be kidding me?, we need every point to be sure to stay in top 4, this game is very important!.:carlo:

I hope that for once Carlo tries something different in this game. When plan A isn't working you have to go to plan B but Carlo never seems to have plan B. He should use this game to try something new out in preparation for the United game since it is pretty obvious we won't win if we use the same tactics and team as we did on Wednesday.

The forward/s Carlo picks for this one will give us an idea on what to expect for the return leg at the theatre of shite.

I'm not so sure, u thought he would start with Anelka against Utd being that he has played well in European ties & linked up well with Torres but went with Drogba instead? I'm more worried about RB & midfield as Utd got the better of us in there on Weds, we have to take the game to them & to do that we are going to have to win it in the middle of the park, with Ramires energy & pace I think he could be a gem in the middle. Hate to say it but Lamps & Essien were poor so something has to give.

Go 4-5-1 with Torres. Many don't want him to start the Man U game anyway, preferring to go back to 4-3-3 with Anelka, Malouda and Drogba. So why not go whole hog with a Torres-friendly formation and let's see if that kick-starts his Chelsea career.

The only problem is that here at Chelsea we dont have a player like Gerrard who serves every possible ball to Torres, he would be running like a blind chicken chasen corn, yes i know,

Even a blind chicken gets a kernel of corn, still its doomed to fail.

Less important?!, you gotta be kidding me?, we need every point to be sure to stay in top 4, this game is very important!.:carlo:

It is less important, in comparison too the return leg at United. Of course I'm not implying we shouldn't try to win this, but there's no point in risking important players against Wigan when the United game is much more important.

I'm not so sure, u thought he would start with Anelka against Utd being that he has played well in European ties & linked up well with Torres but went with Drogba instead? I'm more worried about RB & midfield as Utd got the better of us in there on Weds, we have to take the game to them & to do that we are going to have to win it in the middle of the park, with Ramires energy & pace I think he could be a gem in the middle. Hate to say it but Lamps & Essien were poor so something has to give.

I said that on the assumption that the last game would have taught Carlo a few things re the Torres-Drogba partnership in the sense that they're quite similar players in several aspects of their game and more often than not, pairing two similar forwards upfront results in them getting in each other's way rather than complementing their gameplay.

Also, I meant that we would get an idea about who is likely to start against United once we see the Wigan team sheets. I think Kalou will play tomorrow (let's face it he has no chance to start up north), possibly alongside Drogba. Or a 4-3-3 with Kalou-Drogba-Anelka may be on the cards.That'd leave Torres fresh for United, where Carlo might be banking upon his psychological edge over Vidic & co.

It is less important, in comparison too the return leg at United. Of course I'm not implying we shouldn't try to win this, but there's no point in risking important players against Wigan when the United game is much more important.

That is a fair shout, but I honestly feel that it's games like this that we should easily get three points from, and if we're still in danger of falling out of the top 4 then we should consider this as an important game. I would say start half of our strongest team out for this game.

That'd leave Torres fresh for United, where Carlo might be banking upon his psychological edge over Vidic & co.

What edge? Torres has played 4 games this season against Man U and hasn't scored a goal. He scored 2 in 2 last season. I think he still keeps them on their toes, but there isn't a psychological edge anymore. If any thing it's probably the other way around.

And diving or not, the next time Ferdinand gets in Nando's face, I hope Torres "accidently" steps on the bum's toes (don't want Nando to pick up a card or anything...).

The only problem is that here at Chelsea we dont have a player like Gerrard who serves every possible ball to Torres, he would be running like a blind chicken chasen corn, yes i know,

Even a blind chicken gets a kernel of corn, still its doomed to fail.

True. *Sigh**

It would be an experiment anyway, so why not bring on Josh M or Benayoun? They're no Gerrards but they should be able to thread a pass or two.

I said that on the assumption that the last game would have taught Carlo a few things re the Torres-Drogba partnership in the sense that they're quite similar players in several aspects of their game and more often than not, pairing two similar forwards upfront results in them getting in each other's way rather than complementing their gameplay.

Also, I meant that we would get an idea about who is likely to start against United once we see the Wigan team sheets. I think Kalou will play tomorrow (let's face it he has no chance to start up north), possibly alongside Drogba. Or a 4-3-3 with Kalou-Drogba-Anelka may be on the cards.That'd leave Torres fresh for United, where Carlo might be banking upon his psychological edge over Vidic & co.

Kalou has very rarely started a game & played well for 90 minutes, the only time he plays well is when he comes off the bench & I thought he should of been used on Weds from there, its safe to say he is not one of my favourite players but he has talent, he just doesn't produce on a consistent basis. I concur though I think he will start against Wigan, the other places upfront will be a lottery & difficult to forecast. Mikel will get the nod over Essien & Lamps could do with being benched just to give him a much needed kick up the backside & that may put his mind right for the Utd game, as I said I think its imperative to put Ramires in the middle, so that gives us options with Kalou & Benayoun on the right bearing in mind that we will have to play a more expansive game on Tuesday.

Kalou has very rarely started a game & played well for 90 minutes, the only time he plays well is when he comes off the bench & I thought he should of been used on Weds from there, its safe to say he is not one of my favourite players but he has talent, he just doesn't produce on a consistent basis. I concur though I think he will start against Wigan, the other places upfront will be a lottery & difficult to forecast. Mikel will get the nod over Essien & Lamps could do with being benched just to give him a much needed kick up the backside & that may put his mind right for the Utd game, as I said I think its imperative to put Ramires in the middle, so that gives us options with Kalou & Benayoun on the right bearing in mind that we will have to play a more expansive game on Tuesday.

Kalou did very well against City when he started the game alongside Torres and played in his natural position as the second striker. I thought he was easily our best player of the first half. And yes Mikel should start over Essien. If it was upto me I'd go with -

Cech

Ivanovic Alex Terry Cole

Ramires Mikel

Lampard

Benayoun Drogba Kalou