Bruma, Van Aanholt and Kakuta - what went wrong?

Tomo

Morning Blues, i cant sleep and im bored shitless so i thought id go through what went wrong this season with these guys, i still think all 3 could be class players in the future but what the hell made their in-clusion in the squad this season fail so misrably?

Last season the signs were looking good, Kakuta was awesome on his debut for us, Bruma played in the CC against Rovers and a couple of league games and didnt put a foot wrong in any of them and despite the fact we were winning both games comfortable Van Aanholt was impressive in his cameo's against Pompey and Villa at the back end of last season. Van Aanholt went on loan to both Coventry and Newcastle and was a fans fav at both and the fact that in the crucial Bolton game last season it was Bruma that was warming up when Terry at 1 point looked like he was going to be forced off speaks volumes.

Although they only featured in about 10 games between them that year the signs were without doubt very promising and they looked set to play a bigger (although not to ex-cessive part) in this coming season as the squad was trimmed, something which turned out to be a pretty bad error. Its not that these 3 aint good enough far from it but they just clearly weren't ready.

The season started with these 3 making brief cameo's in games, Bruma against Blackpool, Van Aanholt against Zilina and Kakuta against West Ham and Zilina, we were winning all games comfortably at the time so we couldn't really read much into it but when they did start together in the carling cup at home to Newcastle something clearly weren't right.

It started brightly Kakuta assisting Van Aanholt for Chelsea's opener but after that, Kakuta had little impact and was subbed at half time, Van Aanholt did well going forward but his defending left a lot to be dis-sired and Bruma got given a rough ride by Shola Ameobi all night, all shown glimpses of their obvious talent but as far as the regular 1st team football goes they are still a million miles away. The 2nd time they all started together we beat Zilina at home 2-1, Kakuta got subbed at half time but Van Aanholt looked good going forward but not tested defensively, Bruma didnt really put a foot wrong and Kakuta although shown some flashes was subbed at half time.

Kakuta's 1st and currently only premier league start for us he had no impact, balls bouncing off him and fell victim to probally one of the most predictable half time changes since ive started following the blues (only Ferreira's at Spurs last season i think was more predictable), Van Aanholt has not yet started a league match for us and Bruma's only league start we shipped 3 goals at home to Villa although i think its a bit harsh solely blaming him.

Then we only need to look no further then there loan spells. Kakuta can hardly get game time for Fullham and at Leicester with Ricardo out of the team Bruma and Van Aanholt seem to be the fans scapegoat so it's becoming clear there loan spells aint going to plan.

Thankfully we have got the emergence of Josh McEachran to be thankful for (something we expected from 1 of these)

This has without doubt been a case of 1 step forward and 2 back with these guys and they have got great potential but if they want to stand a chance of 1st team football they will have to knuckle down and work extremely hard and we will have to play the long game and be patient, it will be a good few years before there good enough to be 1st team regulars possibly even longer (if at-all that is).

Thoughts?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: you make it sound like their careers are over already!

Be patient ;), they're still young & their time hasn't come yet. Van Aanholt/Bertrand will get their push soon with Cole's age not getting any less. Bruma will have a bit of a longer wait with the signing of Luiz.

Kakuta is having a bad time because of a dodgy loan spell but to suggest he's gone wrong is a bit short sighted. Yes we've over hyped a bit, but like I said, be patient :)

Nothing's gone wrong. They will make it here.

They won't.

Who was the last one to make it with us exactly? The odds are not good of a youngster making it with us. With carlo here,even less chance, if we buy players in the summer even less of a chance and if they're loaned out all season again even less chance still.

I'm not too bothered,it's only an acheivement when a proper English home grown makes it anyway. Here's hoping for Josh

They won't.

Who was the last one to make it with us exactly? The odds are not good of a youngster making it with us. With carlo here,even less chance, if we buy players in the summer even less of a chance and if they're loaned out all season again even less chance still.

I'm not too bothered,it's only an acheivement when a proper English home grown makes it anyway. Here's hoping for Josh

They should.

I think that we need to push Kakuta next season. He knows a lot, it's not like he needs to learn much things. And he can gain that experience with us. I think that he can make an impact.

They should.

I think that we need to push Kakuta next season. He knows a lot, it's not like he needs to learn much things. And he can gain that experience with us. I think that he can make an impact.

I think we could have actually done with kakuta this season. We could have played him on the right and shifted Ramires in he middle then. Or played Kakuta on the left and dropped Malouda.

Never mind,one day we'll learn.

The odds are not good of a youngster making it with us. With carlo here,even less chance, if we buy players in the summer even less of a chance and if they're loaned out all season again even less chance still.

How many academy grads did Mourinho bring through? Or Ranieri? Exactly. Stop blaming Carlo for everything.

I think we could have actually done with kakuta this season. We could have played him on the right and shifted Ramires in he middle then. Or played Kakuta on the left and dropped Malouda.

Never mind,one day we'll learn.

Better late than never. :D

How many academy grads did Mourinho bring through? Or Ranieri? Exactly. Stop blaming Carlo for everything.

I'm not.

Now please tell me how Carlo's CV is with youngsters,and how well he's brought on Kakuta,Sturridge,Bruma,Van aanholt and Josh this season.

It's mainly the club,but Carlo is just as bad.

Now please tell me how Carlo's CV is with youngsters,and how well he's brought on Kakuta,Sturridge,Bruma,Van aanholt and Josh this season.

Sturridge isn't an academy product, so won't be talking about that. And imo Josh has been handled very well indeed without placing too much pressure on him. Kakuta, Bruma and PvA haven't got anywhere near enough time I agree, but then maybe it's down to the coaching staff seeing stuff in training that you and I don't. Bear in mind Kakuta so far has done nothing (in Chelsea colours, before someone jumps at me with the euro u19 star thing) to justify the hype that has surrounded him for the best part of 2 seasons now.

I'm not a blind Carlo apologist, I've criticised him in the past when I feel he could have done better. You'd know if you've read most of my posts.

It's mainly the club,but Carlo is just as bad.

If it's 'mainly' the club, then Carlo can't be 'just as bad'. Elementary proportion. :rolleyes:

Sturridge isn't an academy product, so won't be talking about that. And imo Josh has been handled very well indeed without placing too much pressure on him. Kakuta, Bruma and PvA haven't got anywhere near enough time I agree, but then maybe it's down to the coaching staff seeing stuff in training that you and I don't. Bear in mind Kakuta so far has done nothing (in Chelsea colours, before someone jumps at me with the euro u19 star thing) to justify the hype that has surrounded him for the best part of 2 seasons now.

I'm not a blind Carlo apologist, I've criticised him in the past when I feel he could have done better. You'd know if you've read most of my posts.

If it's 'mainly' the club, then Carlo can't be 'just as bad'. Elementary proportion. :rolleyes:

So,in short he's not good wit youth then.

TBH Kakuta did pretty well in that "hole" position for Fullham for his 40 Minutes he has played and has shown no weakness but it is a bit strange because duffer has a late revival in his career and has scored all his goals after kakutas arriveing whom was expected to take his place in the 1st team kakuta has done nothing wrong for fullham and its natural that huges counts more on duffer if hes fit and going than on Kakuta whos only a loanee anyway...

PvA wasn't as good as expected at leicester but Bruma did pretty well tbh... I thought it would be the other way around...

and Mou didn't have half as many youngsters he could play and if there was any sign of promise he played them (woods, stoch, sinclair, hutch etc.)...

greets...