Grant Equals Mourinho Record

BlueLion.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you should. No offense but the posts there have A LOT more quality than here. If people here says pluto's posts are good, you should check out the posts there, her posts don't hold a candle against several of the members there IMO.

I'm a glory hunter. Happy now? ^_^

Yep, absolutely, you have nailed your colour's Firmly to the mast

Yep, absolutely, you have nailed your colour's Firmly to the mast

Thank you. TBH, I can't care less what someone who thinks he's better than someone else just because he's older. And on the Internet to boot. -_-

Thank you. TBH, I can't care less what someone who thinks he's better than someone else just because he's older. And on the Internet to boot. -_-

"and on the internet to boot"? how else do you want us to make contact?, smoke signals?, and just who said I was "older" than you?!

Sadly no, I'll still think he's a cunt B)

:lol:

@changingman2000

"and on the internet to boot"? how else do you want us to make contact?, smoke signals?, and just who said I was "older" than you?!

Everyone knows you're the oldest block on here :lol::P;)

:lol:

@changingman2000

Everyone knows you're the oldest block on here :lol::P;)

Fuck, am I??, the oldest one?, Fuck that, I cant be having that, dont you kn ow "Fulham Broadway" celebrated his 65th last Sunday with a jolly good knees up at the local church service. Whereas, "Misschief" is "allegedly on a par with Julie Goodyear :lol:

Edited by changingman2000

Fuck, am I??, the oldest one?, Fuck that, I cant be having that, dont you kn ow "Fulham Broadway" celebrated his 65th last Sunday with a jolly good knees up at the local church service. Whereas, "Misschief" is "allegedly on a par with Julie Goodyear :lol:

Well you know what they say the older the wiser :lol::P

From CFC net:

Grant wins quietly where Mourinho failed loudly

There is a hint of the emperor's new clothes about Avram Grant's Chelsea. Can anyone truly see the stylish football he insists the team are now playing? In other ways, however, there has been a marked break from the Jose Mourinho years and the change has underpinned the recent progress of the team.

Rewind to last January. Consumed by frustration at dropped Premier League points over the Christmas period and his own faltering grip on absolute power, Mourinho lamented injury problems and lobbied hard for signings during the transfer window. Ultimately those signings did not come. Resentment crackled and the big bang to end all of his previous outbursts edged closer. It finally came last September when he was ousted as manager and replaced by Grant.

This time the injuries have been worse and the African Cup of Nations has deprived Grant of a further four players, including two of the club's brightest stars, Didier Drogba and Michael Essien. If the biennial tournament had fallen last winter, Mourinho's views on the subject would have been eminently quotable.

It isn't Grant's style to rail against events beyond his control. Nor is it his style to complain at all, or give the media the sound bites they enjoyed under his predecessor. He has refused to whinge about an injury list which currently deprives him of the heartbeat of the squad, John Terry and Frank Lampard, and has also left him without Petr Cech, Ricardo Carvalho, Michael Ballack and Florent Malouda for varying spells.

The Israeli has griped about the criticisms of his functional football but he has largely maintained a low profile and, as importantly, kept the spotlight off his players and allowed them to get on with it. Although he has been favoured with new signings during the transfer window in the shape of Nicolas Anelka and Branislav Ivanovic - who lacks match fitness after arriving from the Russian league which has shut down for winter - his refusal to publicly demand reinforcements has bolstered the belief of his players.

Roman Abramovich, the owner, though recognising Mourinho's motivational and tactical acumen, grew tired of his confrontational tendencies and egocentricity. There was even the feeling in the dressing room that the Portuguese wanted to hog the glory of major results. Grant has employed gentler means, and a sign of the times came after the Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Everton on Wednesday night.

Mourinho did not fare well in semi-finals on Merseyside and after the Champions League defeats at Liverpool he left fireworks behind him with those complaints about "ghost" goals and only one team wanting to play. Such aggravation is conspicuous by its absence under Grant. There have been no sideshows on the touchline. He won the grudging admiration of some Evertonians after his team produced the textbook away-day performance to win 1-0, and 3-1 on aggregate, and there were even mutterings among them that Chelsea might also be a bet for Champions League success.

Grant has taken more of a back seat, to the delight of Abramovich, his champion, and has given the players the stage. True professionals, they have responded. The results have been impressive. His team have won 21 and lost two of his 28 games in all competitions. Remarkably, they have conceded only five goals in their 14 away matches and are in the final of the Carling Cup, still alive in the Champions League and FA Cup, and back in business in the Premier League, four points off the leaders, Manchester United.

"Chelsea are the team to fear now," said Cech, the goalkeeper. "With everything that has happened this season, we have got through with great character. Winning all four competitions is possible.

"We are using all the squad and it's great to know that we can keep playing well and winning. Imagine the day when everyone comes back - we will be stronger again and able to rotate and rest players."

Mourinho fostered a ruthless will to win but Grant, in his understated way, has shown that this is not the sole preserve of the Portuguese. Henk Ten Cate and Steve Clarke, the assistant coaches, do much of the work on the training ground and the cynics suggest that anyone could make a decent fist of Grant's job, such are the resources at his disposal. But that is to overlook the difficulties associated with man-managing two dozen millionaire footballers.

"I didn't imagine we'd have so many injuries but you can go two ways: you can trust your squad or bring in six or seven players," said Grant. "It's not easy to find better because the ones here are quality players. They have good character and what they have done in the last months is amazing."

At the beginning of December, after the Premier League win over Sunderland at Stamford Bridge, Grant was spotted strolling along Fulham Broadway with Abramovich. Chelsea are in harmony and growing in conviction.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/01/...here_mouri.html

Yes, you should. No offense but the posts there have A LOT more quality than here. If people here says pluto's posts are good, you should check out the posts there, her posts don't hold a candle against several of the members there IMO.

Maybe we dont all want university challenge, there's nothing wrong with down to earth talking y'know. Just because they all compare degree's in the stands these days doesnt mean its a pre-requisite to every conversation about football.

Oi, cheeky fucker. :lol:

Maybe we dont all want university challenge, there's nothing wrong with down to earth talking y'know. Just because they all compare degree's in the stands these days doesnt mean its a pre-requisite to every conversation about football.

I'm not saying you should compete against the posts there. I go there regularly and read things but don't post. ;)

What would happen if he beats a big club? for example United,Arsenal etc....would you respect him more? Doubt it -_-

Beating a top team would be a start, that's what people wavering about Grant point to as a reason he cannot be considered that red hot just yet.

Beating the likes of Derby, Sunderland, Wigan et all are all well and good but you expect a team like Chelsea to do so. With the 4 point gap, beating the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd are critical and lets not forget poor old Liverpool (although it is easy to do so).

He will have our wonderful home record to maintain and the players will certainly aid him in that they will be more than up to it.

But if he wins those games will I suddenly come around and recognize him as the messiah?

No like others on here if I'm honest I would still have my doubts about him. I just think that he has a very good team to manage and some very good back up men to help him manager, coupled with an very strong squad and some jammy luck at times he's squeaked through but sometimes only by the skin of his teeth.

I guess believing someone with all the apparent charisma of plank of wood and the communication skills of a dead body can effectively inspire this team to further consistent success ranks for me as being up there with an alien invasion any time soon.

I don't think he's in Mourinho's league in terms of tactical nous or ability to inspire players and develop them and I still don't despite the tally of same results.

What I want to see is how he copes next season with his own players, no excuses about taking over from another manager at a bad time and he has to play more attacking football to keep Roman happy not just talk about it all the time.

Then we can see what this guy is really made of, not what he's made of now using Mourinho's team, training methods and style to get there.

Lampard said something interesting the other day that people should take note of as it simply confirms to me what I already knew, Grant has done nothing to change anything at Chelsea since his arrival - not training, not tactics, not attitude.

"Avram's done well," the midfield player said. "It's not easy to follow Mourinho, but he's done it in his own way. He has a different style — a calm style — and he talks to the players individually. He hasn't tried to change too much. The manager has been telling players to express themselves, but no more than José Mourinho did. The entertainment thing at Chelsea gets blown up out of all proportion. The manager hasn't changed that — he wants to win and, if we can entertain along the way, then fine."

(from The Times today)

Hmmmmm, so Avram's big message to entertain more is based on pretty much the same modus operandi as Mourinho, erxpress yourself if you can but make sure you win when the whistle blows! Funny why does that not surprise me after seeing what Avram has served up these last four months in terms of new style "entertainment". The King is dead long live the King and all that.

JT also confirmed a few weeks back that Grant has done little to change anything training wise until next season because he didn't want to disrupt anything. Just shows you there was little wrong with what Mourinho was doing because otherwise Grant would have needed to start meddling but the fact he can let the players carry on as they were tells me all I need to know.

People want to know why Avram's done so well and has exactly the same record as Mourinho? Well you have your answer because we are still doing everything a la Mourinho that's why and Grant's rather hapless and groan inducing attempts to pretend otherwise during some press conferences can be seen to be just smoke and mirrors hiding a fundamental truth. The emphasis with Grant should be on "little" in terms of doing "little" to rock the boat of what was and is a winning machine more often than not.

And he is the very lucky recepient of a bedrock of success built up initially with Ranieri and then fully realised under Mourinho.

Why should I praise a guy to the heavens for doing nothing more than faithfully copying what his predecessor does because he knows it gets results? It may be a smart thing to do but how brave or brilliant is that? It just shows he's smart enough to know a good thing when he sees it - well join the club!

I'll praise him when he does something that is not based on what Mourinho did and he does it with his own team and he does it consistently.

Edited by pluto

Apologies dear, was Julie Goodyear a tadge harsh? I was originally going to "plum" for Pauline Fowler :lol:

You know misschief, debating with some of the up and coming Bamber's in here. Its becoming more and more clear that maybe there is a "divide" with the level's of intelligence on here.....................................with us "older" ones clearly on a higher plain -_-

Not quite true mate, just because you disagree with someone doesn't let you imply they're planks :D Although I actually agree with you that most of them are naive. Its all down to youth :)

I'm 55 and have been through the rough times of the 80s along with many of you other golden oldies and whilst i will never condone the way Grant walked into this job with no real credentials, I have to say that the most important thing is that the team is winning even though we are struggling through injuries. I think the younger fans will one day understand the frustration of us when they see someone like Grant come in, but it is ultimately the team that does the business and if they are winning, I am happy regardless of whoever is in charge.

Not quite true mate, just because you disagree with someone doesn't let you imply they're planks :D Although I actually agree with you that most of them are naive. Its all down to youth :)

I'm 55 and have been through the rough times of the 80s along with many of you other golden oldies and whilst i will never condone the way Grant walked into this job with no real credentials, I have to say that the most important thing is that the team is winning even though we are struggling through injuries. I think the younger fans will one day understand the frustration of us when they see someone like Grant come in, but it is ultimately the team that does the business and if they are winning, I am happy regardless of whoever is in charge.

Hmmmmm, ok, not "exactly" planks then. Ok, maybe I should take that back a fraction. Can we settle on "plebs" then? :lol: