Official - Carlo sacked

Styles

Should Ancelotti be replaced in the summer?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ancelotti be sacked?

• Yes, he should go
    • No, he should stay

Guus can't come in the summer, neither Mourinho.

Boas...not sure, but he needs to coach in CL first. His team will make it to the CL next season and then you can judge.

If Carlo is to get sack then the only man i would want is Marcelo Bielsa.

Other then that, no better available and Carlo has to stay.

Two good articles about my perfect candidate:

Marcelo Bielsa's 'madness' bears fruit for Chile

The former Argentina manager's attacking philosophy and faith in youth has put Chile on course for the 2010 World Cup finals

Marcelo-Bielsa-001.jpg

Marcelo Bielsa has transformed Chile since taking over the side in 2007. Photograph: Marco Muga/EPA

Argentina's wobbles aside, the story of the region's qualifying campaign has been provided by Chile, who are well on the way to their first appearance at the finals since 1998 – under an Argentinian manager. Marcelo Bielsa (right), nicknamed "The Madman" because of his disciplinarian nature and obsession with the minutiae of matches, is highly respected in his homeland thanks to his work in developing young talent but he stepped down after six years as coach of Argentina's senior team in 2004.

He took charge in Chile three years later, just in time to rescue them from a poor start to the qualifiers. Bielsa again demonstrated his acumen in nurturing youngsters by dispensing with older players and putting his trust in many of the youngsters who propelled Chile to third place in the 2007 Under-20 World Cup, including the exciting midfielders Alexis Sánchez and Gary Medel.

Inexperience has led to inconsistency but in general the new-look team have excelled and Bielsa's determination to attack even in away matches helped Chile to win in Paraguay's notoriously difficult Defensores del Chaco stadium as well as in Peru. Chile also scored a home victory over Argentina. On Wednesday they travel to Brazil, the likely group winners, but even if they lose there they should take enough points in their remaining games to make it to South Africa.

---------------------------------

Bielsa's early exit such a waste for Chile

Post categories: Football

Tim Vickery | 10:00 UK time, Monday, 8 November 2010

A successful and promising relationship has come to a premature end with the news that Marcelo Bielsa will not continue as coach of Chile.

There is little point in appointing a foreign coach unless he brings something fresh - which the eccentric, but highly respected Argentine certainly has in the course of his three years in charge.

He took Chile to their first World Cup since 1998, winning more away games than anyone else in the qualification campaign. In South Africa in 2010, Chile quickly became the neutral's favourite. In a tournament dominated by caution, Chile's carefree attacking approach was a joy to behold.

The performances of the team said more about Marcelo Bielsa than they did about Chilean football.

He coaxed from his players a faithful representation of the approach that has made him one of the most interesting coaches around over the last 20 years.

His idea is always to attack, no matter where the game is played and who the opponents might be. He wants the play to take place in the opponent's half of the field. Whatever the shape of the side - 3-3-1-3 is his favoured formation - there are a number of constants; his team will always seek to play at a high tempo, with a central striker and two wingers and the aim of creating two-against-one situations down the flanks.

bielsa_595_ap.jpg

The out-going Bielsa is a man of principle and there appears to be no turning back

Before working with Chile, Bielsa was in charge of his native Argentina from 1998 to 2004. In a very significant way, Chile was easier for him.

Argentina has a highly developed sense of its own footballing identity, to which the number 10 is crucial. Juan Roman Riquelme, with his elegant, foot-on-the-ball playmaking, is the guardian of the flame. Bielsa, though, had no place for him. Rather than the changes in rhythm that Riquelme inspires, the coach was looking for all out dynamism - which left him open to criticisms that he was trying to Europeanise the national team.

During his reign it was common for club coaches in Argentina to differentiate themselves from Bielsa by stressing their commitment to 'the pause' - the moment when the old-style number 10 slows the game down in order to rethink the attack. In Argentina, then, Bielsa often found himself swimming against a powerful current.

He had no such problem in Chile. "There's been no continuity," I was told a few years ago by Elias Figueroa, one of Chile's all-time greats. "We've tried to imitate Argentina. We've tried to imitate Brazil. We've tried to imitate Germany and Spain." From Bielsa's point of view, this lack of fixed identity was a plus point. It meant that his approach would meet with less cultural resistance.

Late 2007 was also a good time to take over. Humiliated on the field in that year's Copa America and with disciplinary problems off it, Chile appeared to have hit rock bottom. The only way was up - and giving momentum to the rise was the fact that an excellent generation of youngsters had just reached the semi-finals of the World Youth Cup.

They were to prove Bielsa's raw material. His bold gameplan requires a high level of fitness. He inherited an exciting group of players with young legs and open minds, and made a team of them. Versatile defenders or midfielders Arturo Vidal, Gary Medel and Mauricio Isla, central midfielder Carlos Carmona and, above all, wonderful little right winger Alexis Sanchez were all graduates from the World Youth Cup campaign who became stalwarts of the senior side.

Bielsa's option to stand down is frustrating for two reasons. Firstly, because he and his young side could have gone on to achieve much more. And secondly, because their time together could have been even better.

Three goals in four World Cup games was a disappointing return for a side of such attacking ambition. They would surely have scored more had centre forward Humberto Suazo been fully fit. Top scorer in the South American World Cup qualifiers, he was recovering from an injury when he was unwisely risked in a warm-up match. Injured once more, he was nowhere near 100% in South Africa.

In retrospect, Mauricio Pinilla should have been in the squad. Once briefly in Scotland with Hearts, Pinilla has been once briefly with a lot of clubs in a number of different countries. The striker came close to throwing away his own career with his wild-child antics. But he has always been a highly gifted player, potentially of genuine world class - as he has hinted in Italian football over the last 18 months. Especially in the absence of a fit Suazo, Pinilla would have been a useful option in South Africa.

He has been recalled for next week's game at home to Uruguay, seemingly Bielsa's swansong in charge of Chile. The idea of Alexis Sanchez and Pinilla operating together is an appealing one for Chile fans - but after next week it will not be Bielsa's job to get their talents to combine. He is leaving because Harold Mayne-Nicholls was not re-elected last week as president of Chile's FA. Before the election Bielsa made it very clear that he would not work with the opposition candidate Jorge Segovia.

Mayne-Nicholls, though, only carried the votes of six of Chile's First Division clubs. Segovia won the other 12, including the Santiago big three of Colo Colo, Universidad de Chile and Universidad Catolica. The election was, and continues to be controversial, with conspiracy theories flying around and claims that Segovia might be prevented from taking office on complicated legal grounds.

Mayne-Nicholls, though, has made it clear that he will not be coming back. One of the major complaints about him was the grumble that he prioritised the national team and his Fifa work over the domestic championship. He recently served as the chairman of the Fifa inspection committee which visited the countries bidding to stage the World Cups of 2018 and 2022.

Polished and articulate, he cut an impressive figure. But he has been cast out by an internal revolt at the very moment when his international prestige was at its highest. As a result, the national team is parting company with one of the world's most respected and interesting coaches. Chile's new regime will have to come up with something special to make up for the loss of Marcelo Bielsa.

The guy has never managed in Europe so would be to much of a risk, plus what language does he speak??

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest justin_3d

The guy has never managed in Europe so would be to much of a risk, plus what language does he speak??

Well if Chelsea wants to take risk by firing Carlo and get someone like Rijkard, or Van Basten...then i say take the risk on Bielsa, who has a better record then these two!

Cause i don't see Guus or Mourinho available in the summer. Nothing but mediocre candidates. Only one is Bielsa, who sadly does not have experience in europe...but i think it will be a better risk then the options we have now....

Well if Chelsea wants to take risk by firing Carlo and get someone like Rijkard, or Van Basten...then i say take the risk on Bielsa, who has a better record then these two!

Cause i don't see Guus or Mourinho available in the summer. Nothing but mediocre candidates. Only one is Bielsa, who sadly does not have experience in europe...but i think it will be a better risk then the options we have now....

But if he can't even speak English then thats gonna be a huge problem...Martin o Neill should be the man for me, consistantly gets teams higher than they should be, great motivator and great with young players. He also got Celtic to the Uefa cup final only losing to Mourinho's porto...plus he learned from the best English manager of all time Brian Clough....but Roman won't like him because he won't have any outside interferance.....

Guest justin_3d

But if he can't even speak English then thats gonna be a huge problem...Martin o Neill should be the man for me, consistantly gets teams higher than they should be, great motivator and great with young players. He also got Celtic to the Uefa cup final only losing to Mourinho's porto...plus he learned from the best English manager of all time Brian Clough....but Roman won't like him because he won't have any outside interferance.....

Not speaking english is no problem. He can learn like Carlo.

But still Bielsa is a better coach then Martin!

Not speaking english is no problem. He can learn like Carlo.

But still Bielsa is a better coach then Martin!

I guess the only person's opinion that really matters is Romans, after all it is his club...It is looking hugely likely that Carlo only has till the end of the season though.....not a single website or paper is backing him to stay......

Guest justin_3d

I guess the only person's opinion that really matters is Romans, after all it is his club...It is looking hugely likely that Carlo only has till the end of the season though.....not a single website or paper is backing him to stay......

Yeah but we will go backwards if its not a coach like Guus, Bielsa or Mourinho.

Anyone else, will be the same thing again. We will fire him after a season or so and will waste more money on managers, instead of buying players. This is stupid!

I will really laugh if Roman fires Carlo to get some coach that is not as good as the one he fired.

Yeah but we will go backwards if its not a coach like Guus, Bielsa or Mourinho.

Anyone else, will be the same thing again. We will fire him after a season or so and will waste more money on managers, instead of buying players. This is stupid!

I will really laugh if Roman fires Carlo to get some coach that is not as good as the one he fired.

On ladbrokes they are quoting Ancellotti at 1/4 to leave chelsea at the end of the season, 11/4 to stay.....Drogba is 5/6 to leave with Anelka 5/4......It is looking inevitable for Carlo.....

It would be absoloute redicilous to sack Ancelotti after this season. It just doesn´t make sense in a wider perspective.

He is a good manager who got us the double in our first season, who brings stability.

I think that some of our players have to ask themselves some questions...

Unless it is José (highly unlikely, i don´t think that he´ll get the sack at Madrid if he doesn´t win the CL, because he is the best manager they can get, there isn´t anyone around to take that job, i think. and Roman and him aren´t exactly best friends anymore i suppose) or Guus (also unlikely, we all know that he is someone who sticks to his word he has given) it makes no sense.

Give Carlo another season to establish and adapt. If he can´t produce, let him go and see what the situation with the two mentioned above is like.

I think taking things into consideration i think we should give Carlo another season, and a chance to really sort the squad out this summer. There are concerns with Carlo though and he would need to quickly show that he can change the things that are so wrong:

1. Absolutely zero pressing when the opposition have the ball allowing them to pass and play towards us unchallenged.

2. An extention of point 1. Allowing teams to cross balls into out box unchallenged.

3. Quick tempo to our attacking play.

4. Actual support for our striker(s)

5. Making substitutions that can affect a game in a positive way for us.

6. Being able to drop players not in form and give others the chance to show they can do better.

:goodpost: I concur with you're first 6 points and would like to add (if Ancelotti is to stay) -

7. Give youth a chance, i've made it no secret of mine that the likes of Sturridge and Kakuta et al should still be at the club, them along with Bruma, Van Aaholt, and MacEachran should of been given more chances especially during the poor spell.

8. Improve motivation, Mourinho was a master of this and made players like Lampard feel like they were amongst the best players in the world, i just didn't see any of our players really up for it against Man U in the 2 legs, where as the Utd players looked like they really wanted it more and that would be the Ferguson factor coming into play. Motivation has to be part of every game and our players seem to lack it in abundance this season.

9. Grow some much needed bollocks! Part of the reason that the likes of Ferguson and Jose are so successful is due to the fact that they will not permit any interference from above in their roles, Jose made that stand when the hierachy wanted to oust Steve Clark, he put his foot down and said 'sack him you sack us all' they backed off and unfortunately you cannot say the same with Ancelotti about the Wilkins scenario amongst other speculation this season.

10. A new coach that he can bounce idea's off, who also has a different eye in viewing games, someone that can see the obvious change during games and put his views to Ancelotti and lastly someone like Wilkins who can put an arm around players when things aren't going so well, i think Torres needs one at the mo and is suffering in confidence and he needs a good coach who can help his head.

I will add that i don't see us winning the CL under Ancelotti, he wasn't my choice to bring in and the reason for that was the fact he had only won 1 scudetta in something like 10 years, he was brought in by Roman because of his success in the CL and he has failed miserably in the last 2 seasons.

Ancelotti did however prove me wrong last season and would love him to do it again next if he got the chance to do it, but i cannot see him improving on of the above points imho, so therefore for me he has to go - with regret unfortunately.

Carlo most go only if...... Guus or Mou are coming... Otherwise is Stupid let him go...

According to media it looks like Roman is try to Create the perfect Team with Mou as a Coach and Guus as Sporting Director.

Honestly this for me will be the Greatest thing we can Have... and if we do not Rock unders this 3 Person... There is no other time...

Guest justin_3d

Justin3d are you Chilean or Argentinian by any chance?

Nope why?

But i do see a lot of south american soccer. And he is by most regarded as the best coach from this side of the continent. I put him as better then Mourinho or Carlo. But a second close to Guus.

For me Guus is still the best overall.

Cause Mourinho is good tactician, and wins a lot, but his style is not that good. Guus has a bit of every aspect and is why i like him a lot.

So for me Bielsa comes a very second close to him. I would really not mind taking a risk on this guy, because he is no Scolari. Scolari just managed big teams like what Mancini is doing.

However, what Bielsa did with Chile is what Guus has done with Australia and South Korea.That is a mark of a great coach.

Nope why?

But i do see a lot of south american soccer. And he is by most regarded as the best coach from this side of the continent. I put him as better then Mourinho or Carlo. But a second close to Guus.

For me Guus is still the best overall.

Cause Mourinho is good tactician, and wins a lot, but his style is not that good. Guus has a bit of every aspect and is why i like him a lot.

So for me Bielsa comes a very second close to him. I would really not mind taking a risk on this guy, because he is no Scolari. Scolari just managed big teams like what Mancini is doing.

However, what Bielsa did with Chile is what Guus has done with Australia and South Korea.That is a mark of a great coach.

Just wondered why you had such an obsession with Biesla. You're not American though?

Guest justin_3d

Just wondered why you had such an obsession with Biesla. You're not American though?

Yes, and obsession because he is better then Mourinho and Carlo. He just need to get a top team to prove it, and i am sure with Chelsea he can do it.

Guus can't come in the summer, neither Mourinho.

Boas...not sure, but he needs to coach in CL first. His team will make it to the CL next season and then you can judge.

If Carlo is to get sack then the only man i would want is Marcelo Bielsa.

Other then that, no better available and Carlo has to stay.

Two good articles about my perfect candidate:

Marcelo Bielsa's 'madness' bears fruit for Chile

The former Argentina manager's attacking philosophy and faith in youth has put Chile on course for the 2010 World Cup finals

Marcelo-Bielsa-001.jpg

Marcelo Bielsa has transformed Chile since taking over the side in 2007. Photograph: Marco Muga/EPA

Argentina's wobbles aside, the story of the region's qualifying campaign has been provided by Chile, who are well on the way to their first appearance at the finals since 1998 – under an Argentinian manager. Marcelo Bielsa (right), nicknamed "The Madman" because of his disciplinarian nature and obsession with the minutiae of matches, is highly respected in his homeland thanks to his work in developing young talent but he stepped down after six years as coach of Argentina's senior team in 2004.

He took charge in Chile three years later, just in time to rescue them from a poor start to the qualifiers. Bielsa again demonstrated his acumen in nurturing youngsters by dispensing with older players and putting his trust in many of the youngsters who propelled Chile to third place in the 2007 Under-20 World Cup, including the exciting midfielders Alexis Sánchez and Gary Medel.

Inexperience has led to inconsistency but in general the new-look team have excelled and Bielsa's determination to attack even in away matches helped Chile to win in Paraguay's notoriously difficult Defensores del Chaco stadium as well as in Peru. Chile also scored a home victory over Argentina. On Wednesday they travel to Brazil, the likely group winners, but even if they lose there they should take enough points in their remaining games to make it to South Africa.

---------------------------------

Bielsa's early exit such a waste for Chile

Post categories: Football

Tim Vickery | 10:00 UK time, Monday, 8 November 2010

A successful and promising relationship has come to a premature end with the news that Marcelo Bielsa will not continue as coach of Chile.

There is little point in appointing a foreign coach unless he brings something fresh - which the eccentric, but highly respected Argentine certainly has in the course of his three years in charge.

He took Chile to their first World Cup since 1998, winning more away games than anyone else in the qualification campaign. In South Africa in 2010, Chile quickly became the neutral's favourite. In a tournament dominated by caution, Chile's carefree attacking approach was a joy to behold.

The performances of the team said more about Marcelo Bielsa than they did about Chilean football.

He coaxed from his players a faithful representation of the approach that has made him one of the most interesting coaches around over the last 20 years.

His idea is always to attack, no matter where the game is played and who the opponents might be. He wants the play to take place in the opponent's half of the field. Whatever the shape of the side - 3-3-1-3 is his favoured formation - there are a number of constants; his team will always seek to play at a high tempo, with a central striker and two wingers and the aim of creating two-against-one situations down the flanks.

bielsa_595_ap.jpg

The out-going Bielsa is a man of principle and there appears to be no turning back

Before working with Chile, Bielsa was in charge of his native Argentina from 1998 to 2004. In a very significant way, Chile was easier for him.

Argentina has a highly developed sense of its own footballing identity, to which the number 10 is crucial. Juan Roman Riquelme, with his elegant, foot-on-the-ball playmaking, is the guardian of the flame. Bielsa, though, had no place for him. Rather than the changes in rhythm that Riquelme inspires, the coach was looking for all out dynamism - which left him open to criticisms that he was trying to Europeanise the national team.

During his reign it was common for club coaches in Argentina to differentiate themselves from Bielsa by stressing their commitment to 'the pause' - the moment when the old-style number 10 slows the game down in order to rethink the attack. In Argentina, then, Bielsa often found himself swimming against a powerful current.

He had no such problem in Chile. "There's been no continuity," I was told a few years ago by Elias Figueroa, one of Chile's all-time greats. "We've tried to imitate Argentina. We've tried to imitate Brazil. We've tried to imitate Germany and Spain." From Bielsa's point of view, this lack of fixed identity was a plus point. It meant that his approach would meet with less cultural resistance.

Late 2007 was also a good time to take over. Humiliated on the field in that year's Copa America and with disciplinary problems off it, Chile appeared to have hit rock bottom. The only way was up - and giving momentum to the rise was the fact that an excellent generation of youngsters had just reached the semi-finals of the World Youth Cup.

They were to prove Bielsa's raw material. His bold gameplan requires a high level of fitness. He inherited an exciting group of players with young legs and open minds, and made a team of them. Versatile defenders or midfielders Arturo Vidal, Gary Medel and Mauricio Isla, central midfielder Carlos Carmona and, above all, wonderful little right winger Alexis Sanchez were all graduates from the World Youth Cup campaign who became stalwarts of the senior side.

Bielsa's option to stand down is frustrating for two reasons. Firstly, because he and his young side could have gone on to achieve much more. And secondly, because their time together could have been even better.

Three goals in four World Cup games was a disappointing return for a side of such attacking ambition. They would surely have scored more had centre forward Humberto Suazo been fully fit. Top scorer in the South American World Cup qualifiers, he was recovering from an injury when he was unwisely risked in a warm-up match. Injured once more, he was nowhere near 100% in South Africa.

In retrospect, Mauricio Pinilla should have been in the squad. Once briefly in Scotland with Hearts, Pinilla has been once briefly with a lot of clubs in a number of different countries. The striker came close to throwing away his own career with his wild-child antics. But he has always been a highly gifted player, potentially of genuine world class - as he has hinted in Italian football over the last 18 months. Especially in the absence of a fit Suazo, Pinilla would have been a useful option in South Africa.

He has been recalled for next week's game at home to Uruguay, seemingly Bielsa's swansong in charge of Chile. The idea of Alexis Sanchez and Pinilla operating together is an appealing one for Chile fans - but after next week it will not be Bielsa's job to get their talents to combine. He is leaving because Harold Mayne-Nicholls was not re-elected last week as president of Chile's FA. Before the election Bielsa made it very clear that he would not work with the opposition candidate Jorge Segovia.

Mayne-Nicholls, though, only carried the votes of six of Chile's First Division clubs. Segovia won the other 12, including the Santiago big three of Colo Colo, Universidad de Chile and Universidad Catolica. The election was, and continues to be controversial, with conspiracy theories flying around and claims that Segovia might be prevented from taking office on complicated legal grounds.

Mayne-Nicholls, though, has made it clear that he will not be coming back. One of the major complaints about him was the grumble that he prioritised the national team and his Fifa work over the domestic championship. He recently served as the chairman of the Fifa inspection committee which visited the countries bidding to stage the World Cups of 2018 and 2022.

Polished and articulate, he cut an impressive figure. But he has been cast out by an internal revolt at the very moment when his international prestige was at its highest. As a result, the national team is parting company with one of the world's most respected and interesting coaches. Chile's new regime will have to come up with something special to make up for the loss of Marcelo Bielsa.

fainthv9.gif