Historic 05 Title Winning Squad Slowly Breaking Up

Tomo

Out of the squad we had when we won our 1st title for 50 years in 2005 there are only 5 players that currently remain.

Petr Cech

John Terry

Paulo Ferreira

Frank Lampard

Didier Drogba

In the summer the chances are Ferreira is going to be moved on, there's even a few stories that Drogba will aswell.

I know it was always going to happen in the end but to me there is a bit of sentimental sadness when great teams get broken up and if Paulo and Drog go we will be down to 3 players from 04/05 :(

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that bodes well actually.. We have kept the spine (best gk, def, mid, st) and rotated the role players which is correct imo. And that explains why we have been consistently there or thereabouts in the past 7-8 yrs. We are now ready to make our new spine for the next decade. Cech has a gd 10 yrs left in his bag. Luiz as a replacement for JT in the long term, Nando for Drog hopefully, lamps' replacement is the only issue bothering all us fans. We really dont have a natural goal scoring midfielder in his mould. Either we buy sum1 or hope gael/josh will come good in the long run.

End of an era really, but with the youth team blowing everyone away and having got to 2 of the last 3 youth cup finals, winning once and the fact that we can attract the best players in the world, the future is going to be all blue.

Replacing Drogba, Lampard and JT will be very hard but not impossible imo. We're one of the best, biggest and richest clubs in the world now

Bring on the day they all retire. They will always be remembered

Edited by OllieCFC

This is a real sad moment because these players along with Essien have finally made us into what we always strived for CHAMPIONS. This is the end of the first GOLDEN ERA AT CHELSEA these players should all have statues outside the bridge. The away game against arsenal when Robben scored from a Drogba through ball was my favourite live match, we have been so lucky ! We have had a united front at Chelsea and we have all pulled in the right direction, not many people like us but we have fought against the whole league and the media. Drogba, LAMPARD, CECH, TERRY, ESSIEN are legends of the highest order, not only Chelsea legends but premier league legends.

This is a real sad moment because these players along with Essien have finally made us into what we always strived for CHAMPIONS. This is the end of the first GOLDEN ERA AT CHELSEA these players should all have statues outside the bridge. The away game against arsenal when Robben scored from a Drogba through ball was my favourite live match, we have been so lucky ! We have had a united front at Chelsea and we have all pulled in the right direction, not many people like us but we have fought against the whole league and the media. Drogba, LAMPARD, CECH, TERRY, ESSIEN are legends of the highest order, not only Chelsea legends but premier league legends.

agreed mate, they gave so much to the club and its fans over the years and I'm proud that I've stuck by them. My dying wish is to see them play live at least once before they call it a day.

Don't forget the legends in that squad who've already left. I maintain to this day Claude Makelele is the best midfielder I have ever seen play. Eidur Gudjohnsen and Carlo Cudicini were also both faithful servants to the cause, and the likes of Robben, Duff, Gallas and Carvalho will be remembered with great affection. Possibly Chelsea's greatest-ever team, and certainly the best in my lifetime.

I wouldn't term it as breaking up. It's more of evolving.

Look at any top squad who was at the top in 2005 and and close even now in 2011

Barcelona,

Iniesta, Messi, Xavi, Puyol, Valdes

Even AC Milan's Old guard has changed considerably

And why just abroad, look at United

Rooney, Scholes, Giggs, Fletcher, Ferdinand. You can count O'shea, Wes Brown but it doesn't serve the purpose we're discussing here, does it?