Official Stadium Plan Announcement Soon?

DavidEU

Adding to Esk's point, what sort of capacity do people want? 55,000 (same as Arsenal) has been branded about a fair bit.

Something does need to be done ASAP though.

Nou Camp 96,000

Bernabeu 90,000

San Siro 80,000

Old Trafford 76,000

Stamford Bridge 43,000

Arse has a 60,000 capacity stadium and Liverpoo are gonna move to a similar sized one, too, I think...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know if I fall into the ' wiser and mature category' :)

Well its a simple equation of people standing up take a lot less room,

http://www.10menwent2mow.com/images/misc_shed_02.jpg

so one way the capacity of grounds could be increased is to obviously introduce standing areas. As I've said before what kind of government deems it legal for people to stand on trains travelling at 120 mph, but illegal to stand at football matches ?

Absolutely spot on, if they even tried it with the MHL for a start, it would make such a difference. I personally would love to have a standing area back at the Bridge.

Also, it seems to me that we have enough problems selling out the Bridge with its current capacity anyway, only just making it against Rottenham at home, Inmy mind, if its pushed up to 55,000 or so will only mean more gaps on show, sure well sell out against Man Ure and the huge European nights, but Derby at home?

I've heard that it will be moved to Battersea Power Station, it will be the same layout as stamford bridge at the moment but have and extra tier in shed end and matthew harding. Not sure of the capacity and not 100% sure if this is true its just something I heard. Also if we move from Stamford Bridge I think QPR might move in!

Absolutely spot on, if they even tried it with the MHL for a start, it would make such a difference. I personally would love to have a standing area back at the Bridge.

Also, it seems to me that we have enough problems selling out the Bridge with its current capacity anyway, only just making it against Rottenham at home, Inmy mind, if its pushed up to 55,000 or so will only mean more gaps on show, sure well sell out against Man Ure and the huge European nights, but Derby at home?

I think the category system would help. More expensive prices for the bigger matches and cheeper prices for the smaller ones.

Well what are they gunna do with it??? let the grass grow?? let the reserves play there?? I cant see that happening, it will go to QPR I bet you!

Sell it! The site must be worth a fortune considering it's location.

Dont know if I fall into the ' wiser and mature category' :)

Well its a simple equation of people standing up take a lot less room,

http://www.10menwent2mow.com/images/misc_shed_02.jpg

so one way the capacity of grounds could be increased is to obviously introduce standing areas. As I've said before what kind of government deems it legal for people to stand on trains travelling at 120 mph, but illegal to stand at football matches ?

No what I mean is, how does the surrounding area cope? When people pile out of the stadium, the area gets clogged, the underground is like sardines, driving out is a nightmare. Decades ago, how did the area cope with much larger attendances... or did it just not cope at all?

No what I mean is, how does the surrounding area cope? When people pile out of the stadium, the area gets clogged, the underground is like sardines, driving out is a nightmare. Decades ago, how did the area cope with much larger attendances... or did it just not cope at all?

Well areas did cope or just suffer. Many shops round grounds used to get boarded up etc, but it was the norm come Saturday. 70s and 80s round the Bridge was a bit more clogged in terms of people, but there were obviously less vehicles . The tube , leaving for instance, at Fulham Broadway would be rammed, and you often had to wait to get the third or fourth train out of SW6.

But the bigger attendances and standing obviously led to a fantastic atmosphere, that, if some of the current goers were dropped into, would have a heart attack on the spot.

It pretty much is a standing area anyway and would save the stewards and people a lot of hassle

Would hate to leave the Bridge behind esp if QPR or someone moved in.Wouldnt be the same and make burrying Osgoods ashes under the penatly spot less sentimental

I'm just worried that we'll move into some souless bowl that looks like every other new stadium you see these days.

The Bridge is unique, our entire history is between those 4 stands.

On the one hand I agree with you, but on the other hand, all new stadiums are soulless and it's up to the club and the fans to give it soul.

Kenyon isn't exactly popular with the fans at the moment, so he has to tread carefully. It will profit the club if we move to a new stadium - more seats means more tickets to sell, and at the end of the day football has turned into a corrupt business where money is everything. However, it will profit the fans to play at a stadium that has hosted FA Cup finals and been at the centre of our history for 103 years. If the club really want to move forward, they know they will have to spend big. Spend big on making Stamford Bridge the complete stadium, or spend even bigger on a souless modern bowl with 70,000 seats, half of which dedicated to the Prawn Sandwich Brigade.