Official Stadium Plan Announcement Soon?

DavidEU

Taken from CFCnet:

We hear there’s to be an official announcement about the stadium plans soon - possibly by the time you read this. It’s bound to be a controversial decision and one that will be a hot topic in our online forum.

Thoughts?

(Unable to link to the site, but can be found on CFCnet, under the title: "CFCnets unoffical Chelsea FC Magazine Out Now!")

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a lot of talk lately about being able to develop on the current site. So not sure if they have managed to get around the problems somehow....

Would be nice to have a plan in motion though because to move on to being a bigger club we need a bigger stadium.

My personal opinion Esk is that if something is going to be done (major), it will be to move to a new site, as unfortunately, that seems the only possibility.

Well it is certainly a realistic possibility as there doesn't seem to have been a lot to be done with the current site. Although the main problem with relocating is where do we go, not exactly tons of sites for us to choose from.

No, but the BBC and Earl's Court are too distinct posibilities

Also, under the magazine content, it also says:

- Leaving Stamford Bridge - With the announcement of a possible ground move soon, Marc Beyeler looks at some reasons why we should look at leaving the Bridge.

Problem with Earls Court that the legal stipulatuions are that it has to remain a conference and exhibition centre.

There has been speculation linking us with a whole variety of sites in London including Wembley, the Olympic Stadium at Stratford, White City, Battersea Power Station, Earls Court, Chelsea barracks and the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.

This crops up all the time , and the club announced last year that increasing capacity was the only viable option.

I thought they said that increasing capacity would be the PREFERED option, but moving would be a possibility?

It came down to the only viable option being quite a way away. The one that seemed preferable was contaminated land. Interesting to see how it pans out though.

You do feel that something will have to be done one way or the other very soon. The club certainly havn't said one way or the other how it is going to go, but with all the big clubs either expanding or moving to new bigger grounds we need to be able to compete. Mainly to help bring in more cash.

Adding to Esk's point, what sort of capacity do people want? 55,000 (same as Arsenal) has been branded about a fair bit.

Something does need to be done ASAP though.

Nou Camp 96,000

Bernabeu 90,000

San Siro 80,000

Old Trafford 76,000

Stamford Bridge 43,000

The main problem with expanding the current site is not so much the buildings, railway and graveyard that surround the Bridge, but the fact that even more people will be coming. Our plans will have to include some way of dealing with this, and I can't think for the life of me what that'd be.

The main problem with expanding the current site is not so much the buildings, railway and graveyard that surround the Bridge, but the fact that even more people will be coming. Our plans will have to include some way of dealing with this, and I can't think for the life of me what that'd be.

Well that is the only problem that everyone all exits onto the same road and there are not many ways around that which is why we can get permission for a larger capacity.

Question to the wise and mature members of this site: were the attendances higher than now in the days of terraces and cheap ticket prices? If so, how on Earth did the area cope with even more people, and do you think then maybe the area could cope after all with a higher stadium capacity?

Thanks!

Question to the wise and mature members of this site: were the attendances higher than now in the days of terraces and cheap ticket prices? If so, how on Earth did the area cope with even more people, and do you think then maybe the area could cope after all with a higher stadium capacity?

Thanks!

We have had massive attendances in the past, but i wouldn't say on anything like a regular basis. Also the area would not have been as built up and health and safety issues were pretty much non-existant.

Dont know if I fall into the ' wiser and mature category' :)

Well its a simple equation of people standing up take a lot less room,

http://www.10menwent2mow.com/images/misc_shed_02.jpg

so one way the capacity of grounds could be increased is to obviously introduce standing areas. As I've said before what kind of government deems it legal for people to stand on trains travelling at 120 mph, but illegal to stand at football matches ?

Dont know if I fall into the ' wiser and mature category' :)

Well its a simple equation of people standing up take a lot less room,

http://www.10menwent2mow.com/images/misc_shed_02.jpg

so one way the capacity of grounds could be increased is to obviously introduce standing areas. As I've said before what kind of government deems it legal for people to stand on trains travelling at 120 mph, but illegal to stand at football matches ?

But you are forgetting that football fans are the scum of the earth and should they be allowed to stand who the hell knows what could happen.....

the sky would fall in and there would be rioting and mass lootig up and down the country :D

the only way i can see us getting the type of attendences the likes of manure is a to move to earls court and owing to the price of the current site on the real estate market i suspect thats the way the board will be going, not sure where chelsea pitch owners will stand though

Edited by pippin