Strikers

BlueLion.

Something that the last two months has demonstrated is our clear and obvious need for forwards.

We only have one striker at the club, and his name is Didier Drogba.

With a player of such a high calibre, you might consider what the problem is. The same goes between the posts. When you have (on current form) Europe's best goalkeeper on your team, you don't seem to think about who's second or third in the pecking order - at least not until injury or suspension come in.

Drogba has struggled with malaria this term and it is no secret he is still fighting for full fitness. A promising cameo against Spurs - where he bullied his way past Michael Dawson with embarrassing ease (coupled with the use of an arm) before seeing the wrists of one of the country's best shot-stoppers inadequate to deflect the power of his equalising goal - suggests that 100% match fitness isn't too far away.

But in the meantime, who is second on our list of strikers?

I can tell you who it isn't - Salomon Kalou, Nicolas Anelka, and Danny Sturridge. They're wingers, you see. Anelka and Kalou have had the centre-forward mindframe wiped from their blueprint, they're now inadequate in a central striker role. We've seen recent Anelka performances which are well below his usual high standards - a polarisation of form for this man who began the season in majestic form. The same can be said of Kalou, for whom the goals have dried up after an equally-potent first dozen matches of the season, where, despite playing largely as a substitute, six of his eight goals this season were scored. Two in the next dozen suggests a turnaround in this form. The same goes for Sturridge, who is yet to start a game as a striker this season. Ancelotti seems okay for him to go down Kalou Avenue and turn a promising striker into a talented winger who seems destined never to tap into his full potential. That being said, Sturridge's speed, strength and trickery suggest he may prove to be a future stalwart in the Chelsea team, but that certainly won't happen before our current French-speaking-frontline of Drogba, Anelka and Florent Malouda all retire or leave the club.

My point is very, very simple, and I shall put it bluntly - we need another striker. To say we need another Drogba is both an incredulous and appropriate statement, because when he is out of the team, we are frankly appalling. That being said, right now, we're barely an improvement when he is playing. But other forwards are needed. Not necessarily in the Drogba mould - I refer here to Lukaku - but a striker nonetheless.

Kalou and Anelka are incapable of playing in this role and Sturridge seems set to follow in their footsteps. When Drogba is injured or suspended, or merely even out of form or confidence (not that the latter will probably ever happen), we need another player to fill the role. Someone with a lot of pace would change the dynamic of the system, whilst the likes of Lukaku would mean we'd be able to field a very similar style of play.

But either way, we need a striker, and we need one now. With January coming thick and fast and Ancelotti allegedly promised funds, there is no excuse not to give us another option up front.

As it stands we only have one, and he alone cannot win us this title. Not again, anyway.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. We need a striker but we also desperately need an attacking right sided winger/forward.

We play a 4-3-3 with Anelka and Kalou who aren't doing anything positive on the right hand side. We basically have no threat from an entire part of the field unless Bosingwa is playing. We rely too much on Ashley, Lampard and Malouda to produce the goods from the left hand side.

Agreed. It means there is a real lack of balance about the team, and we're becoming increasingly vulnerable on the counter-attack because our front three simply do not do enough work defensively. Granted Kalou worked his socks off against Spurs and played quite well, and Drogba is good at defending set pieces, but the front three are very laboured in getting back and its annoys the hell outta me!

Agreed, while I've been arguing that we're short of numbers at central midfield and central defence what seems to have hit us is being short of quality upfront. God knows what happened to Anelka and with Kalou being a non-option and young Sturridge being played out of position we are left with just one Striker.

The Board tried to get Neymar but just like with Begovic the selling club didn't give in and it was decided that we shouldn't bid for someone else.

I don't have high hopes for January, our summer targets are unlikely to move and Srna will only come if Bosingwa doesn't get a new contract.

Agreed, while I've been arguing that we're short of numbers at central midfield and central defence what seems to have hit us is being short of quality upfront. God knows what happened to Anelka and with Kalou being a non-option and young Sturridge being played out of position we are left with just one Striker.

The Board tried to get Neymar but just like with Begovic the selling club didn't give in and it was decided that we shouldn't bid for someone else.

I don't have high hopes for January, our summer targets are unlikely to move and Srna will only come if Bosingwa doesn't get a new contract.

Neither do I unfortunately.

But maybe we don't need to go for our summer targets in January? Our problem right now is more about numbers and not so much quality. We need more options so just adding 2-3 players decent players and not World beaters is a better bet for January. Pienaar for example would cost next to nothing in January and is a proven Premier League quality player that can play in midfield and attack. He is ideal for us; proven, good age, last few months of contract and probably wouldn't demand a huge wage.

The club needs to do some serious planning in the next few weeks and try to take advantage of the January transfer window.

I agree, TBD. We simply are a shadow of the team we can be without Didier. I know we've missed Lampard's goalscoring and Essien's dynamism over the last two seasons, but without Drogba the direct aspect of our football is non-existent.

We seriously need a good strong (possibly young, seeing as how we have probably 3 seasons left with Didier) centre forward who can control the ball, shoot and pass greatly. Andy Carroll, Neymar and Lukaku seem to fit the bill in my mind.

Also, we need a good winger who can cross the ball like Bale. Who can also come back to defend, unlike a few of the players we have now...

I really don't want that arrogant idiot at this club. I really, really despise his attitude. That being said, if we somehow manage to sign him, I'll still support him. Thankfully, you don't have to like someone to support them. I'd much rather see an Aguero, Jovetic, Alexandre Lacazette, Javier Hernandez, etc. at Chelsea!

I await the response of the Football Manager and FIFA 11 Gods - who'll assure me that he'll be brilliant and ridicule my distaste towards him - with great anticipation.