Ramires' performance

LDN Blue

After a consistent three month period, it's safe for me to 'praise' some of his qualities. Physically, except for strength, he's obviously top-notch but I've noticed that he's an intelligent player. When he first came he seemed to be very sloppy in his passing, his decision-making was off, his link-up play seemed poor (except for some positive flashes) and he was pretty static in team-play and when he did move, it didn't look all too good. After seeing all that, I was afraid the club bought a runner for 17/18 mil pounds. But he's improved heavily in all of those areas and even took it a step further showing he's not just okay or solid in terms of intelligence but very good at the very least.

He knows what he wants to do with the ball before he gets it and I was very surprised and at the same time very happy about that. He's a couple of steps ahead 'of the rest' and that's crucial in possession play and it really compensates his lack of any great things he can do with the ball (things like defence-splitting passes, being a ball magician, possessing great vision)

Add his pace, stamina, high work-rate and solid technical abilities to that and you have an player that can become a crucial part of the team but will most likely always be underrated for what he brings to the team by the fans (ours and the opposition) and the media.

Great post Blue Heart!

Chosen that specific part because it embodies the course this thread has gone, it has really shown the impact Ramires has made & how quick his improvement has been since joining us last summer. I'll be the first to admit I had my initial doubts - never wrote him off, but thought he's not what we needed at that time - but he's proving me wrong. Still improvements needed (such as those you've pointed out), but brings a lot more positivity in our midfield. The players love him, the fans love him & he believes in himself (proof: that goal on Sunday).

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post Blue Heart!

Chosen that specific part because it embodies the course this thread has gone, it has really shown the impact Ramires has made & how quick his improvement has been since joining us last summer. I'll be the first to admit I had my initial doubts - never wrote him off, but thought he's not what we needed at that time - but he's proving me wrong. Still improvements needed (such as those you've pointed out), but brings a lot more positivity in our midfield. The players love him, the fans love him & he believes in himself (proof: that goal on Sunday).

Cheers LDN.

About the bolded part, exactly my thoughts after he joined us as I was hoping for a playmaker and a winger (and still am).

Ramires - I needed time

skysports.com

"We knew it would take time to adapt when I arrived," Ramires said in the Daily Mail.

"That was no surprise. No Brazilian escapes it when he comes to England.

"Lucas has also lived through what I am experiencing and now his work is being recognised.

"I think this period went even quicker for me."

Indeed. He got used to this league pretty quick.

What is Lucas good at, i seriously can not pin point his strengths.

Personally, I say his vision. He knows how to pick a great pass & he creates good space for himself. He's kind of like Mikel for us. I'm not going to go as far as saying he's underrated, but he is an important player in that Liverpool squad, he's stepped up in that role Xabi Alonso left behind (though obviously Xabi was much better)

What is Lucas good at, i seriously can not pin point his strengths.

He's not a Xavi and he's not a Makelele - instead he's in the middle. He's a deep-lying, defensive playmaker, so to speak. If you watched a dozen Liverpool games, for example, you'd see in about ten of those he'd have more passes than anyone, cover more ground than anyone and probably have completed more passes. He plays the game in a very simple and uncomplicated way, and that's why he is appreciated at Anfield. He supports Gerrard very well.