The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Does anyone remember they first time music really blew your mind?

When I was about 12 or something I wasn't really into music at all. I was at a friends house and we were playing singstar and someone choose Nirvana's "Come As You Are". Needless to say it blew me away, I had never heard music like that, I had heard of dumb sing along pop music but this was something else. When I was home the next day, I looked for Nirvana in my mothers CD collection and I found Nevermind.

I must have listened to it almost one hundred times since then and I can sing that bastard all the way through save for the parts where Kurt is incomprehensible.

First time for me was when I was 8 years old and broke into my uncle's record collection and put on 'Low' by David Bowie (because I liked the cover). Fucking hell, my mind was blown away. My music taste has changed a lot over the years but Low is still my favourite album to this day.

First time for me was when I was 8 years old and broke into my uncle's record collection and put on 'Low' by David Bowie (because I liked the cover). Fucking hell, my mind was blown away. My music taste has changed a lot over the years but Low is still my favourite album to this day.

Hunky Dory has always been my favourite Bowie.

I love Low. I can never put a name to any of the songs but I would recognise all of them anytime, anywhere. I was halfway through listening to Nevermind, but now I have to put Low on...

The next band to blow my mind was Radiohead. Specifically OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows. Add The Smiths' "Meat Is Murder" to that list.

It's amazing how much my music has changed. When I was 14 it was mainly Metal like Metallica, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Alice In Chains, Linkin Park and what not. Now I despise that stuff.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheResurection

When I was about 12 or something I wasn't really into music at all. I was at a friends house and we were playing singstar and someone choose Nirvana's "Come As You Are". Needless to say it blew me away, I had never heard music like that, I had heard of dumb sing along pop music but this was something else. When I was home the next day, I looked for Nirvana in my mothers CD collection and I found Nevermind.

I must have listened to it almost one hundred times since then and I can sing that bastard all the way through save for the parts where Kurt is incomprehensible.

I don't remember a "first" time as I've been listening to rock music for as long as I can remember. I used to share the room with my older sister and she listens to the likes of Metallica and Nirvana probably from before i was born.

But the time music blew my mind the most was probably the first time I listened to Ultimate Spinach.

Hunky Dory has always been my favourite Bowie.

I love Low. I can never put a name to any of the songs but I would recognise all of them anytime, anywhere. I was halfway through listening to Nevermind, but now I have to put Low on...

The next band to blow my mind was Radiohead. Specifically OK Computer, Kid A and In Rainbows. Add The Smiths' "Meat Is Murder" to that list.

It's amazing how much my music has changed. When I was 14 it was mainly Metal like Metallica, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Alice In Chains, Linkin Park and what not. Now I despise that stuff.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheResurection

I could pretty much say the exact same thing. When I was fourteen I listened a lot to Guns N Roses, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam etc. Fucking hate that shit now though. But Bowie always remained, since I was 8 years old.

I'm actually listening to Hunky Dory right now. Couldn't find Low and Hunky Dory was within reach, so I put it on! Bowie is belting out 'oooooh you pretty things!'

Radiohead are actually my favourite band, by a long way. I don't like Pablo Honey or The Bends so much... but OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac and In Rainbows are some of my favourite albums. Hail to the Thief and The King of Limbs are pretty good too.

And The Smiths are another good shout. ;) My favourite Smiths albums is The Queen Is Dead though. 'I Know Its Over' gets me every fucking time.

EDIT: A recommendation: Get a bag of weed. Light up. Listen to Low. Trust me!

Don't be silly, Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park are not metal. Not even close.

I don't remember a "first" time as I've been listening to rock music for as long as I can remember. I used to share the room with my older sister and she listens to the likes of Metallica and Nirvana probably from before i was born.

But the time music blew my mind the most was probably the first time I listened to Ultimate Spinach.

lolwut

I could pretty much say the exact same thing. When I was fourteen I listened a lot to Guns N Roses, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam etc. Fucking hate that shit now though. But Bowie always remained, since I was 8 years old.

I'm actually listening to Hunky Dory right now. Couldn't find Low and Hunky Dory was within reach, so I put it on! Bowie is belting out 'oooooh you pretty things!'

Radiohead are actually my favourite band, by a long way. I don't like Pablo Honey or The Bends so much... but OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac and In Rainbows are some of my favourite albums. Hail to the Thief and The King of Limbs are pretty good too.

And The Smiths are another good shout. ;) My favourite Smiths albums is The Queen Is Dead though. 'I Know Its Over' gets me every fucking time.

EDIT: A recommendation: Get a bag of weed. Light up. Listen to Low. Trust me!

So much good music! I wish I could listen to it all at the same time. In moods like this I find listen to the first 20 seconds and then smash the "Next" button.

I couldn't name my all time favourite band but I could list all the albums that I just know I'll love forever. It would be near 40 I think.

Yes but it has nothing to do with metal, in terms of style of music. Just because they are both loud does not make them similar.

Fucks sake. I'm not the one classifying this shit, it wasn't my executive decision.

It's all semantics, Nu Metal is considered one of the two million subgenres of Metal. Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are Nu Metal. Ergo those hacks are Metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nu_metal_bands

Of course, these old child memories are unforgetable!

I was 9 (I guess) and I had a couple of older friends that were listening to "Faroeste Caboclo", I was complete blown away by the lyrics (at the time I didnt understand half of it) and I immediately asked for them to record it for me. I must have listened to it one thousand times!!!

The first time I listened to Queen was also mind blowing. My father is a huge (I mean, HUGE) Queen's fan and he would always spend his Sundays listening and teaching me about their songs before we went to the game. All I know about them is thanks to my father, I think it was more about the experience than about the music itself, but it was amazing to remeber those days. Love of My Life and Bohemian Rhapsody are the two I was most addicted to.

The first Album I bought came a bit later though. I was 12-13 and I went into a music store (I don't even think they exist anymore) and there was a strange band making success, Red Hot Chili Peppers. The guy said I would probably like them, since I was into rock and he offered me Californication and By The Way. OOOOOHHH, How good was it? I used to do my homework listening to the whole album, I would put them on and let them play all the way. It was a very nice time, we would actually feel good when finding a quality band/song. We would brag to our friends and exchange stories and expiriences. Now, it only takes two clicks on Youtube...

Nowadays I have gone very eclectic. I like MPB, Sertanejo, Classic Rock, Simphonic Metal, Hip Hop, Eletronic Music, etc.

Fucks sake. I'm not the one classifying this shit, it wasn't my executive decision.

It's all semantics, Nu Metal is considered one of the two million subgenres of Metal. Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are Nu Metal. Ergo those hacks are Metal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nu_metal_bands

Still you should know better and refuse to classify it under metal. Where are your principles?! :P

Of course, these old child memories are unforgetable!

I was 9 (I guess) and I had a couple of older friends that were listening to "Faroeste Caboclo", I was complete blown away by the lyrics (at the time I didnt understand half of it) and I immediately asked for them to record it for me. I must have listened to it one thousand times!!!

The first time I listened to Queen was also mind blowing. My father is a huge (I mean, HUGE) Queen's fan and he would always spend his Sundays listening and teaching me about their songs before we went to the game. All I know about them is thanks to my father, I think it was more about the experience than about the music itself, but it was amazing to remeber those days. Love of My Life and Bohemian Rhapsody are the two I was most addicted to.

The first Album I bought came a bit later though. I was 12-13 and I went into a music store (I don't even think they exist anymore) and there was a strange band making success, Red Hot Chili Peppers. The guy said I would probably like them, since I was into rock and he offered me Californication and By The Way. OOOOOHHH, How good was it? I used to do my homework listening to the whole album, I would put them on and let them play all the way. It was a very nice time, we would actually feel good when finding a quality band/song. We would brag to our friends and exchange stories and expiriences. Now, it only takes two clicks on Youtube...

Nowadays I have gone very eclectic. I like MPB, Sertanejo, Classic Rock, Simphonic Metal, Hip Hop, Eletronic Music, etc.

The first band to blow my mind was Raimundos. Oh, those good old days.

Mine would have to be when I was about 8 I went to the blues festival in Byron bay, Australia.

There was this guitarist that was amazing! His name was Kenny Wayne Shepard.

Mum n dad owned a music shop together when I was little and all I can remember is this guy being played on the store stereo.

Another one (same festival) was a great singer/song who was playing to about 50 of us, his name was Ben Harper.