The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Come to Australia. There is literally 14 hours of constant sunlight in the summer months. I winter it's about 10 hours of constant sun.

And I THOUGHT THAT NORWAY HAD THE BEST HEALTHCARE AND EDUCATION SYSTEM IN THE WORLD? STOP TAKING CREDIT FOR THE MOST GLORIOUS NATION OF NORWAY

Haha, I said one of the best, not the absolute best. :Goober:

Norway is very similar to Finland but only better. Can't say much about who's got the better healthcare and education (pretty much equal I suppose) but at least they make a lot more money there and from what i've heard people are usually much happier then us. Climate is as bad as ours though.

Best health-care and educational system? Hot blue-eyed blondes everywhere? Abusing alcohol? I could live with that :halo:

Sadly the hot blue eyed blondes are in Sweden, not Finland. :(

Norway is very similar to Finland but only better. Can't say much about who's got the better healthcare and education (pretty much equal I suppose) but at least they make a lot more money there and from what i've heard people are usually much happier then us. Climate is as bad as ours though.

WHAAAAAT? Then I'd have to agree with you. What do your girls look like?

The culture must have a hand in the higher degrees of happiness.

Though, Edvard Munch would disagree.

The weather here is bone-chilling. Hell, it's been close to 10 days now that i could sit in the sun for even 15 mins. :( Now the cold is getting out of hand.

Bitch please, it's been at least a month since I've even seen the sun. :lol:

WHAAAAAT? Then I'd have to agree with you. What do your girls look like?

Think Sweden and then tone it down a notch. If someone wants to visit / come live here in the north, Sweden and Norway are much better choices. They offer all the same advantages but hardly any of the shit things we have here.

Bitch please, it's been at least a month since I've even seen the sun. :lol:

Think Sweden and then tone it down a notch. If someone wants to visit / come live here in the north, Sweden and Norway are much better choices. They offer all the same advantages but hardly any of the shit things we have here.

It can't be that worse. Maybe you're just not seeing things straight. I've been reading about it and i've seen people saying finnish people kinda have an inferiority complex in regards to the other nordic countries. I could be wrong but Finland is probably as great as the others.

It can't be that worse. Maybe you're just not seeing things straight. I've been reading about it and i've seen people saying finnish people kinda have an inferiority complex in regards to the other nordic countries. I could be wrong but Finland is probably as great as the others.

But it's not. I know dozens of people who have lives both in Finland and other nordic countries and evreyone has told me they're much better, but then again I knew that already. Those countries have the same healthcare and education systems as we do but everything is much cheaper and the wages are better = happier people.

Also the most important thing, their women are better.

But it's not. I know dozens of people who have lives both in Finland and other nordic countries and evreyone has told me they're much better, but then again I knew that already. Those countries have the same healthcare and education systems as we do but everything is much cheaper and the wages are better = happier people.

But you guys have Simo Haya...

If you say so...

Nah, this makes sense. South Korea is a miserable place to live in. Everyone's essentially a slave starting some time in elementary school, or if they're unlucky, starting even before elementary school. Nobody enjoys hours of classes after hours of school, not to mention that school days are pretty long there, and lots of high schools mandate students to come to school in evenings as well during exams. Not to mention that the learning environment isn't all that fun, either, with clear hierarchies between students and teachers and among students maintained by physical violence. Then, once you're out of school, you have to deal with some retarded things at work, some of which have nothing to do with work. For example, if you're unlucky, you could get a job that involves drinking every fortnight to maintain good "professional" relationships with other people. Spike might be aroused by now if he's reading this, but it's probably not that fun if you're in your 40's and have a family to take care of, and of course, your "day job" at the office. And you don't get paid for extra hours if you ever have to work overtime. Like I mean, if you usually work 8 hours and have to work 10 one day, you get paid for the first 8 only.

I guess that is why a lot of people find solace in those internet gaming centres/arcades (I've watched several documentaries about it, people spend their lives in there!). Explains why Starcraft is so popular. To me what you've explained, sounds like a more aggressive version of Japan. I take it like Japan, South Korea is largely dominated by the ideals and beliefs of old people? And often these beliefs clash with the ever changing world and young population?

Believe it or not in Japan paper filing systems are still used and so is much archaic techonology from the mid and early 90s. Fax machines are still rampant. So much for the 'technologicaly superior' Japanese sterotype.

I guess that is why a lot of people find solace in those internet gaming centres/arcades (I've watched several documentaries about it, people spend their lives in there!). Explains why Starcraft is so popular. To me what you've explained, sounds like a more aggressive version of Japan. I take it like Japan, South Korea is largely dominated by the ideals and beliefs of old people? And often these beliefs clash with the ever changing world and young population?

Believe it or not in Japan paper filing systems are still used and so is much archaic techonology from the mid and early 90s. Fax machines are still rampant. So much for the 'technologicaly superior' Japanese sterotype.

Gaming's really popular, and that makes sense, too, because there isn't a whole lot else you can do in your free time. Kids barely have time for sports, and gyms and grass fields are scarce, so you basically have no play buddies if you ever want to play football.

In terms of ideologies, Korea is at least half a century behind Canada and other more developed countries. People know racism is bad, so obviously, they overreact like retards when other Koreans are mistreated by someone of different ethnic background, but I can assure you at least 98% of Koreans are racist by modern standards. Obviously, this isn't a big issue there because Korea is almost completely homogeneous ethnically, and of course, nobody does anything about it even though many kids suffer in school because of it, and ethnic minorities are increasing in size. Similarly, there is close to no awareness regarding gay issues. The first time I learned about homosexuality I was 11, I think, and I had had no idea about it whatsoever before then, and I didn't learn it in school or anything, just happened to stumble across it on the newspapers.

Some clashes between young and old generations are inevitable in any society, but the cultural structure in Korea prevents many clashes. Young people are automatically subordinate to older people, and pretty much everyone accepts that because that means they get to boss around kids born after them. Unconditional respect for the old and the ridiculous dogma that old people are wise and therefore their ideas are more important I think not only prevent clashes but also help values get transferred from one generation the the next easily. My dad, for example, has been telling me I should listen to older people because they know more, implying I don't know jack, but I don't say anything because I don't want to give him the impression that I disagree with him because that's criminal. I probably would agree pretty much entirely with him on politics if I still lived in Korea, but I've grown too individualistic to do that although I can't say I haven't been affected at all. In fact, my political views are significantly modified from, yet in many aspects similar to his. Anyways, in addition to the cultural structure, arrogance has also allowed Korea keep its conservative ways over the years. You know, Korea >> rest of the world, so we don't have to listen to other inferior people. I think the age hierarchy will remain for a very long time although I see people are getting more and more exposed to the western culture so hopefully that will help them rid of some of their batshit ideas, which is a bit ironic because this is a direct consequence of the extreme demand for Koreans to become more "global", which is something that's added to the burden of students.

I can't give you an answer on your comparison of Korea to Japan because I know nothing about Japan, but I'd assume they're similar culturally probably much more so than either of them with China or other countries.