The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

Views of the Super Flower Blood Moon and Its Eclipse

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2021/05/views-of-the-super-flower-blood-moon-and-its-eclipse/619020/

Last night, sky watchers across the Pacific Rim were treated to views of the so-called super flower blood moon. “Flower moon” is the name for a full moon in May, “super” describes a full moon that occurs when the Earth and moon are closest together, and “blood” denotes the dark-red color seen during a lunar eclipse. The moon appeared about 10 percent larger than average—however, that size difference is actually so small that a casual observer would likely never notice. Photographers around the world sighted the bright moon, and those near the Pacific were able to capture images of the eclipse—the first total lunar eclipse in more than two years. Below are 18 of the most super images of the supermoon.

• A person rides a horse in front of a full moon.

A person is seen in silhouette, riding a horse in front of the supermoon in Van, Turkey, on May 26, 2021. #

Ozkan Bilgin / Anadolu Agency / Getty
  •   The moon is seen beyond an ornate sculpture.

The full moon rises over the Titi Banda park in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, on May 26, 2021. #

Antara Foto via Reuters
  •   A couple stands outside beneath the Milky Way.

A couple looks toward the supermoon and the Milky Way on May 26, 2021, in Rylstone, Australia. #

Mark Evans / Getty
  •   A yacht sails past as the moon rises in the distance.

A yacht sails past as the moon rises in Sydney on May 26, 2021. #

Mark Baker / AP
  •   People on the edge of a skywalk are seen with the moon behind them.

The moon shines as people walk around the Jin Mao Tower's skywalk, 1,115 feet (340 meters) above ground in Shanghai, China. #

Aly Song / Reuters
  •   A pink full moon above a temple

A full moon rises over the 9th-century Plaosan Temple as a lunar eclipse takes place in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, on May 26, 2021. #

Kasan Kurdi / AP
  •   People stand along a walkway, looking toward the moon.

People watch as the moon rises over the Pacific Ocean at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Australia, on May 26, 2021. #

Steven Saphore / Anadolu Agency / Getty
  •   A cicada clings to a tree.

The supermoon is the backdrop for a nymph Brood X cicada as it makes its way up a tree in Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland, on May 25, 2021. #

Julio Cortez / AP
  •   The full moon is seen behind a large mosque.

The supermoon is seen behind Çamlıca Mosque, over Istanbul, Turkey, on May 26, 2021. #

Isa Terli / Anadolu Agency / Getty
  •   A full moon is seen beyond an American flag.

A full moon is seen framed next to a U.S. flag during a total lunar eclipse on May 26, 2021, in Chico, California. #

Patrick T. Fallon / AFP / Getty
  •   A surfer is seen as the moon rises over the ocean.

A surfer is seen as the moon rises over the Pacific Ocean at Bondi Beach in Sydney on May 26, 2021. #

•   Photographers line up with their gear, looking upward.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge can be seen in the distance as photographers, astronomers, and star gazers observe the full moon during its total-lunar-eclipse phase, in Sydney, Australia, on May 26, 2021. #

•   A composite image of the lunar eclipse, showing its many phases.

A composite image of the lunar eclipse seen on May 26, 2021, in Mexico City, Mexico. #

Manuel Velasquez / Anadolu Agency / Getty
  •   A hazy moon is seen beyond Stonehenge.

The moon sets over Stonehenge on May 26, 2021, in Amesbury, England. #

Finnbarr Webster / Getty
  •   The full moon is seen behind tall buildings.

The moon is partially covered by buildings in Brasilia, Brazil, at the start of a total lunar eclipse on May 26, 2021. #

Eraldo Peres / AP
  •   People sit on a beach, with the moon in eclipse behind them.

The moon is pictured over Sanur beach near Denpasar on the island of Bali on May 26, 2021, during a total lunar eclipse. #

Sonny Tumbelaka / AFP / Getty
  •   A photographer aims a camera at the moon.

A photographer takes pictures of the penumbral eclipse of the moon in Santiago, Chile, on May 26, 2021. #

Martin Bernetti / AFP / Getty
  •   A person is seen in silhouette against a giant moon, pointing a telescope toward it.

A man uses a telescope to observe the full moon, seen as it rises over Arguineguín, in the south of Gran Canaria, Spain, on May 26, 2021. #

Borja Suarez / Reuters

Scousers Gone Wild:

'Samurai sword and axe attack' at Formby Beach 'straightener' just yards from homes of Premier League footballers

Police close beach after incident earlier today in Formby

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/samurai-sword-axe-attack-formby-20710192

Samurai sword and axe attack' at Formby Beach 'straightener' - Liverpool  Echo

• Police presence on Victoria Road, home to millionaires and top footballers

A man was hit with a samurai sword and an axe during an arranged fight at Formby beach, it has been claimed.

The emergency services were called out to the site at around 7.20pm this evening following reports of an incident.

Police have this evening confirmed three men suffered stab wounds and had been taken to hospital via air ambulance.

A witness told the ECHO that a man was attacked with an axe and a samurai sword during an arranged fight at the National Trust site.

He said: "The lad who was losing the fight pulled out an axe and hit the other lad with it. His mate then pulled out a samurai sword and used that too. It was bad."

Huge crowds headed to Formby beach today on one of the warmest days of the year so far. A local man told the ECHO: "Police closed the beach. Everybody leaving had to give their details."

a bit cringe when your teen Gf celebrates your birthday that puts you at double her age

19 v 38

plus he (Kourtney Kardashian's ex)  has 3 children, including one who is only 8 years younger than she is

not as cringe as those outfits though

Amelia Gray Hamlin has a nickname for Scott Disick's daughter Penelope

I'm 21 and live in a 72-square-foot (6.7 square metres!) NYC apartment that costs $1,345 per month (220 quid per week). Here's what a day in my life looks like.

https://news.yahoo.com/im-21-live-72-square-192902837.html

apartment

I live in a 72-square-foot apartment in the West Village for $1,345 a month. Liv Hendrix for Insider
  • I live in a 72-square-foot apartment in New York City's West Village for $1,345 a month.

• My microstudio has no real kitchen or closet, and I sleep on a futon bed that serves as my couch.

• I love being able to live on my own after college even though some basic tasks can be difficult.

• Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

I had dreamed of moving from my small town in Tennessee to New York City ever since I visited the Big Apple when I was 4 years old. Unfortunately, I didn't quite grasp how expensive it is to live there until I was much older.

A lot of people live with roommates or move to boroughs other than Manhattan, like Brooklyn or Queens, to save money. But I wanted to be in the center of the action and live alone.

I found my solution on the internet: a micro-studio apartment. In NYC, these spaces are often between 50 and 100 square feet and make living alone somewhat affordable.

I found my 72-square-foot apartment in the West Village for $1,345 a month. It's in my favorite part of the city, has a fire escape, and the perfect amount of space for a 21-year-old college graduate.

Here's what a day of my life is like in this tiny space:

As soon as I wake up, I turn my bed back into my couch

I sleep on a futon bed, so when I wake up, I put my pillow and comforter under the frame and turn my bed back into a couch. This is annoying to do when I first wake up, but it certainly forces me to get out of bed.

I briefly considered putting a twin-size mattress in my lofted storage area instead, but I'm not positive it can support my weight and terrified to roll off in the night.

Then I work on using my space to make fresh coffee and breakfast

My tiny space does not mean I sacrifice my coffee.

I stand on top of my fridge to reach the coffee beans and get my electric water heater and bean grinder out from under my sink, since there's no room for it on the counter.

kitchen+bathroomdoor

My kitchen consists of a sink and my appliances. Via Hendrix for Insider

After I make my coffee, I put all the tools and ingredients away so I have room on the counter to make breakfast.

For breakfast, I usually cook eggs on my hot plate while I make toast in my toaster-oven-air-fryer combo.

After breakfast, I have to do all of my dishes immediately, or my sink won't fit anything else.

Picking out my outfit can be challenging since my clothes are stored throughout the apartment

Picking out my outfit requires a few stops around my studio.

I keep my pajamas, underwear, bras, socks, bathing suits, and accessories in bins underneath my two-bar garment rack.

My clothes are color-coded, and all of my black and white clothes are on the rack facing the wall, so I have to dig a bit to see what's back there.

closet

I keep most of my clothes on a rack. Via Hendrix for Insider

Some of my shoes and purses are displayed on the wall, which gives me extra storage and turns them into decor.

When it comes to laundry, I pay to have it washed, dried, and folded, since I don't have a washer or dryer.

My hamper is in the storage loft above my kitchen. When I need to put clothes in it, I either try throwing them in the hamper (and always miss) or climb on top of my counter so I can reach.

loftarea

Living in my studio is mostly me climbing onto surfaces that are probably not meant to be climbed on. Every small task is now a bit of a challenge to complete.

I do my skin-care routine in my bathroom, but I put on my makeup in the main area so I have more space

Like with everything else I do in this apartment, my skin-care routine takes longer than it would in a larger space. My bathroom sink is super small, and I have no counter space in there, so it can be a process to wash my face.

I do my makeup in my main living area and place my products on the kitchen counter while using the mirror by my front door.

aerialview

I occasionally have to peek in my bathroom to see my look in better light, but for the most part, this works well.

During the day, I can easily walk to the park and enjoy the fresh air

After this, depending on what my schedule looks like, I am usually out and about for most of the day.

When the weather is nice, I love sitting in Washington Square Park, which is so close to my apartment that it feels like my backyard. I love living near so many amazing restaurants, too.

fireescapeview

My fire escape also has killer views of the West Village, so it's nice to pop out there sometimes.

It's challenging to make dinner and have guests over, but I make it work with a microwave and floor pillows

Preparing too many elements that have to be cooked in the same appliance can turn making dinner into a challenging and lengthy process.

I usually air-fry a vegetable and make pasta or a protein with my hot plate. Sometimes, I microwave a Trader Joe's meal, make a salad, or eat a light snack like fruit or cheese and crackers.

On some nights, I have my two friends who live downstairs over, but we mostly go to their space, which is bigger. When I do host guests, about three people can comfortably fit on my couch, and I keep two floor pillows under the futon for people to sit on the floor.

If it starts to feel crowded in my apartment, we hit the park or the streets of NYC.

Otherwise, I will usually have a virtual movie night with my best friend from back home. I don't have a TV, so I will play a movie on my computer and prop it up on the table beside my couch.

Taking a shower can be frustrating because the floor always gets wet

My entire bathroom is the shower, which is sometimes nice and sometimes the worst.

I usually end the day with a shower so my floor has time to dry overnight. If I shower in the morning, my bathroom floor is wet until midafternoon.

Bathroom

A perk, though, is that I can easily brush my teeth and do my skin-care routine in the shower at night. I can also use my mirror while brushing my hair in the shower.

When I play music in there, the entire room becomes an echo-y speaker, making for great shower concerts. I also have a little mat outside the bathroom so that no water gets in my apartment.

I expected to hate the shower-bathroom combo, but now I kind of love it.

The noise of the city can be annoying when I'm trying to go to sleep, so I play music or use earplugs

When it gets close to bedtime, I always plug in my air conditioner, as it is a great buffer for all the street noise. I also play some music. If the noise gets really bad, I use earplugs.

I finish my evening by taking melatonin to help me sleep, putting rain sounds on my speaker, and pulling my futon back into a bed.

Overall, I like my microstudio, and it's come with a few perks

At the end of the day, this is by no means the perfect apartment. Someday, I would love to have a living room for parties, a full fridge, a closet, more counter space, and so much more.

But the small space has its perks. I've learned what items I value enough to be a part of my space and how crucial decor can be in making an apartment feel like a home.

Plus, this apartment has allowed me to live in the center of NYC, which was a priority for me. The city is always experienced outside anyway, so I don't mind having my small and cozy place to return to.

snip

FUCK THAT SHIT 😱

Edited by Vesper

• 3 weeks later...

'Murica

‘Redneck Rave’ Descends Into Throat Slashing, Impalements, and Mass Arrests

https://www.yahoo.com/news/redneck-rave-descends-throat-slashing-033349725.html

Screenshot/YouTube

A massive country music festival in Kentucky this past weekend started off on rocky footing: Police found meth, marijuana, and an open bottle of alcohol in the first vehicle they stopped at a traffic checkpoint. One of the people in the car had two active warrants out for their arrest.

“We were like, ‘Well, this doesn’t bode well for the weekend,’” Edmonson County Sheriff Shane Doyle told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

By the end of the five-day bash, dubbed the “Redneck Rave,” one man had been impaled, one woman had been strangled to the point of unconsciousness, and one throat had been slit. In all, Edmonson authorities arrested 14 people, and charged four dozen people from five states.

201894828_3916226921821784_5848965829064318083_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=dFwd9dyeHPcAX-MXE7b&_nc_ht=scontent-arn2-2.xx&tp=6&oh=5c1dc715bdbeebb59c078b22b5fdc9c2&oe=60D7952C

The event, organized by country rapper Justin Time, took place in Blue Holler Offroad Park and drew a crowd of tens of thousands, doubling the population of the unincorporated town of Ollie, which is so small it does not have a stoplight. Redneck Rave promoters bragged that they had sold more than 20,000 tickets. The lengthy getdown, advertised as the “biggest country party you’ll ever go to,” boasted a demolition derby, goldfish racing, and a full-scale football game as well as a series of concerts.

The details of the Redneck Rave’s incidents are grisly. One person slit a friend’s throat and remains at large, a 29-year-old man had allegedly strangled a woman until she passed out, one person lost the better part of a finger, and another was impaled when he drove a side-by-side over a 2-3 inch log that broke through the bottom of the recreational vehicle. Paramedics left the log inside him as they airlifted him to a hospital.

Justin Time, whose legal name is Justin Stowers, wrote on Facebook, “This was the biggest event we’ve ever done and with as many people and random things that popped up unexpectedly I feel like we all handled it very well.”

Doyle told the Herald-Leader last year’s Redneck Raves—there were two—“overwhelmed” his staff. He ordered all his deputies to work mandatory overtime this year and requested assistance from the Kentucky State Police. At least one person died at the event last year. Another Redneck Rave is scheduled for October of this year.

“There were so many intoxicated people, we just decided, ‘If dispatch sends an ambulance in, we’re sending a deputy in with them,’” said Doyle.

Six of the festival-goers face felony charges, and the sheriff’s office filed roughly 30 charges stemming from drug and alcohol violations.

Edited by Vesper

• 2 weeks later...

How cool is this?

One of my new students was born at 23:59 GMT on December 31st, 2000. LITERALLY the last minute of the previous millennium. She was also one of the few I have met who understands that 2000 was the last year of the old millennium, and 2001 the first year of the new millennium. NOT 1999 and 2000.

There was no year zero. End of first decade AD was December 31, 10 AD. 1990 was last year of the 1980's, 2010 the last year of the noughtes, etc etc. Always has caused drama at times when I correct people. Even had a girl cry and accuse me of now ruining her memories of her giant millennium party she and her friends had and paid for as teens on December 31, 1999, lolol.

Edited by Vesper

Quench Your Thirst With This Refreshing Sorrel Rum Punch

The owners of LoLo’s Seafood Shack share their globally inspired recipe.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/sorrel-rum-punch-recipe

scale;jpeg_quality=60;progressive.jpg

Rum punch is a classic Caribbean cocktail traditionally made with multiple fruit juices, like pineapple and orange, and of course a generous amount of white rum. But at LoLo’s Seafood Shack in Harlem, New York, sorrel is the star of this classic drink.

Often confused with the green sorrel herb, sorrel (or Hibiscus sabdariffa) is called by different names depending on which region you’re in, with it also commonly referred to as hibiscus tea. The flower calyx is typically dried and boiled to create a tart, deep red drink popular in countries throughout the Caribbean, Latin America, and West Africa. 

Leticia “Skai” Young-Mohan and her husband Raymond Mohan own LoLo’s and explain that they use sorrel because they wanted a drink to serve guests that was light, refreshing, contained less processed ingredients, and offered a slightly healthier option to traditional rum punch. Studies show hibiscus tea can lower blood pressure, soothe sore throats, and even treat heart disease.   

“Our punch is different because it definitely has more of an unctuous fruit flavor. Rum punch is made with fruit juice, while LoLo’s Punch is lighter and more translucent,” says Young-Mohan, who is a former bartender. “It’s really based on sorrel, and that is typically something that you’ll have around the holidays. It’s got a lot of health benefits, as opposed to something like a rum punch with tons of sugar and fruit juice.”

Young-Mohan, whose mother is from Belize and her husband who is Indo-Guayanese, say their cultures heavily influenced the restaurant’s vibe and menu to make guests feel like they’re “island hopping.” 

“We try to keep things simple, especially with the chefs and myself coming from a fine dining background where typically there might be a lot of ingredients in a dish,” says Young-Mohan, who attended the French Culinary Institute which is now known as the Institute of Culinary Education. “Our dishes only have a handful of ingredients in everything. I think it was important to also have a drink to match that, where you can definitely taste everything that’s in it."

LoLo’s Punch involves few ingredients with one of them being water, leaving plenty of room for customization if you want to add sliced fruit or additional spices to really kick up the flavor. 

“If you want to jazz it up, you can also use ginger ale if you don’t have ginger, and put a little spritz in there,” Young-Mohan says. “It’s something that’s really light for the summer.”

LoLo’s Punch Recipe

Yield: 1 gallon

Ingredients

• 4 ounces dry sorrel
  • 1 gallon water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 cloves
  • 4 ounces coconut rum
  • Fresh ginger

Directions

1. Bring water, sugar, ginger, cloves, and sorrel to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. 

2. Fill your cup with ice.

3. Pour 3/4 of the way with sorrel mix.

4. Add 4 ounces of your favourite coconut rum.

5. Float with Ting or your favorite ginger ale if you like.

6. Sip and enjoy!

Edited by Vesper

The World’s Tallest Water Slide Was a Terrible, Tragic Idea

At nearly 169 feet tall, Verrückt was taller than Niagara Falls. Riders flew down the world's tallest water slide at 70 miles per hour, challenging the laws of physics.

Then, on August 7, 2016, 10-year-old Caleb Schwab was decapitated on the ride. What went wrong to cause such a horrific tragedy? For more information, read this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index/595981/water-slide/

b78ff9e58d0919a80d0c4c5845b10ca0.jpg

Charges dropped against owner, designer of Verrückt waterslide where boy was decapitated in horrific accident

Owner Jeff Henry and designer John Schooley were arrested last year.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/charges-dropped-owner-designer-verruckt-waterslide-boy-decapitated/story?id=61255629

Edited by Vesper

Lightning bolt kills 11 people ‘taking selfies’ in front of 12th century fort in Indian city

Lightning strikes killed more than 60 people across India while heavy rainfall and cloudbursts led to flash floods in some parts

https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/india/lightning-strike-deaths-amer-fort-b1882514.html

🤬

Wyoming bar calls for murder of gay people as “cure for AIDS” and are selling it as merch

https://www.queerty.com/wyoming-bar-calls-murder-gay-people-cure-aids-selling-merch-20210714

wyoming-shirt-529x670.jpg

A bar in Wyoming that caters to a motorcycle crowd has become the subject of national scrutiny over the sale of homophobic t-shirts. The apparel promotes the murder of gay people as a “cure for AIDS.”

Photos of the shirts, sold at The Eagle’s Nest, in Cheyenne, Wyoming, went viral on the internet for their homophobic and violent language. The shirt in question features a man pointing a gun under the caption “In Wyoming, we have a cure for AIDS. We shoot f*ck’n f*ggots.”

The photos emerged with the LGBTQ rights organization Equality Wyoming, which first declined to name the bar out of fear of a spike in t-shirt sales. Metro Weekly also reports that the group instead called for donations to AIDS-related charities rather than protests at the location.

• 4 weeks later...