Lampard unhappy with England friendly timing

Frank Lampard is happy to return his focus to Chelsea after a disappointing World Cup campaign and admits England's friendly with Hungary next week is 'not ideal'.

The Wembley clash next Wednesday comes in the week the Blues begin their Premier League title defence and the scheduling has been criticised by managers including Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp.

Lampard is pleased to be back with the Blues after the World Cup, although his preparations for the August 14 encounter with West Brom are set to be punctuated by the England friendly.

"I have got to be honest, the disappointing summer is not affecting the Chelsea side," said Lampard in the Guardian.

"Of course, we are disappointed with England but it is almost a breath of fresh air to come back to Chelsea.

"We won the double last year and that is a nice feeling.

"There is no niggling mental effect from the World Cup at all.

"When the England games come then we will approach that but in terms of Chelsea, I think it is exciting to be back."

Lampard acknowledged England's friendly with Hungary is important as Fabio Capello's side begin preparations for the 2012 European Championships qualification campaign, but said the timing was not convenient for clubs.

"It's obviously not an ideal situation," he added in the Sun.

"I've only been back in pre-season training for a week and a half and a lot of clubs are having the same problems with their World Cup players.

"All the teams want to get players fit for the start of the season.

"But England also need to prepare for the European Championship qualifying games.

"Right now I'm just excited to be back at Chelsea.

"But the Hungary match has always been there on the calendar so as a professional playing for your country you go and you play."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_6296884,00.html

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think everyone in the whole of English football is thinking the same fricken thing but yet the FA are blind to see anything with the problem.

good point, I'm pretty sure no one gives a fuck about that match and just wants to focus on their respective teams.

Well I'm quite looking forward to the England friendly, but three days before the new Premier League season? Why not have it the same weekend as the Community Shield? Capello could still name a strong team without Chelsea and United players.

England perform rubbish in South Africa -yet the players have an attitude that friendlies are an inconvenience at best and a complete waste of time. I'm just wondering would German, Brazilian, Spanish players feel the same ? No - i think they would put their patriotism first.

That said you cant blame the English players -the Prem League is the money dripping circus that the whole world wants to see and comes first....

Are these fixture dates not set by FIFA? The premier league are the ones who have stitched everyone up, most other leagues in Europe are starting a week later. It is clearly not ideal to have this friendly 3 days before the start of a new season, and a new season where pre season has already been massively disrupted by the world cup.

Are these fixture dates not set by FIFA? The premier league are the ones who have stitched everyone up, most other leagues in Europe are starting a week later. It is clearly not ideal to have this friendly 3 days before the start of a new season, and a new season where pre season has already been massively disrupted by the world cup.

Especially when injuries could quite easily disrupt a team. It encourages the likes ofFerguson etc to say Rooney has a strain to avoid the game, (not that Rooney gives a fuck about England anyway) and the whole attitude to England matches becomes second rate.

Can already hear the crashing out of Poland/Ukraine 2012 excuses ''too many games'' ''winter break'' ''grass roots''......etc

Especially when injuries could quite easily disrupt a team. It encourages the likes ofFerguson etc to say Rooney has a strain to avoid the game, (not that Rooney gives a fuck about England anyway) and the whole attitude to England matches becomes second rate.

Can already hear the crashing out of Poland/Ukraine 2012 excuses ''too many games'' ''winter break'' ''grass roots''......etc

Absolutely. You do have to say that compared to other top European leagues we are very poorly organised in this country with respect to our top league and the international game.

Didn't they do something similar last season too? It is quite ridiculous. I'm willing to bet half the players won't even bother, hopefully Capello does the right thing and doesn't play all the senior players for more than 45minutes.

Tbh it happens everywhere. Lately coach of Borussia Dortmund Klopp was pissed of at our NT coach Smuda because he called-up 3 players from Borussia. And I was like WTF? We are the organizers of Euro 2012 and some coach has a problem with letting 3 players go ffs...

International Friendlies should be scrapped completely. Or at least be voluntary for the individual players. It's a waste of time, 100%.

No idea why JT, Lamps, and Cole don't just retire and concentrate on the club who pays them.