Possible Goalkeeper Problem?

It's alright saying "we have enough goalkeepers so we don't need to buy one", But aren't most of you the least bit concerned that despite Petr Cech being the out-and-out best keeper we have at the club (who is currently injured for a month), do we have a keeper that even competes with Petr Cech?? Because I don't believe neither Hilario or Ross Turnbull are good enough to be honest. I honestly believe that Cudicini on a good day, is ten times better than the two put together, but he's at Tottenham now!

I read in an article today that a meber of the TEAMTalk website believes that Hilaro and Turnbull could cost us this season, and we should hijack Celtic's bid to sign David James on a free transfer (See Article).

I watched Tunbull against Ajax the other day, and he was awful. He was responsible for both goals in the first half because of his poor decision making, and although Hilario did better than Turnbull in the second half, I believe he's still prone to the odd mistake, just cast your mind back to the home defeat against Man City last season, and how Craig Bellamy seemingly managed to squeeze the ball in the goal.

Of course, we have the young Croatian keeper that we've signed, Matej Delac, but I think he's still very young, and I don't think he's ready for the big stage just yet. So one question I'd like to ask is... should we be bringing in a goalkeeper to challenge Petr Cech this season.

Discuss...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are forgetting Matej Delac isn't actually joining us till next season.

But you're right, we do have a bit of a problem as to a second choice keeper. It's a shame we don't have Cudicini anymore, but no-one can blame him for leaving. I once heard, last season, we were linked with Sergio Asenjo a 21-year-old keeper of Athletico Madrid.. That would've been a great move for us! Perhaps Chelsea should think about that kind of signing.

we should sign a veteran GK, sure Turnbull & Hilario would be classed as such..but a good veteran GK they are not.

there`s good Goalkeepers throughout the German league..and not just at the top clubs..take England in the WC,i hoped they would have done better than they did but always knew they would struggle without a top class keeper and looked at the GK options Germany had at their disposal with envy..there`s atleast 8 GK`s in Germany that are better than any England have. there`s also a lot of good GK`s in France too..

Spain have their share but the top ones are either locked up at their clubs or at the age where they are seeking to be the number 1 somewhere..

It would be lovely to have Casillas and Joe Hart as our back up keepers wouldn't it?

We are NEVER going to get a keeper with the quality of Cech to be back up. All we can do is to bring through some talented youngsters which we are trying to do with Delac, Taylor and Walker but it takes time.

Even if we discuss David James.... does anyone really think he would come here to sit on the bench or probably 95% of the games. Same goes for basically any keeper wo could "challenge" Cech for a starting place.

Cech has small injury and Turnbull and Hilario have served us well, we won the double with them after all. Yes Turnbull had a shocker against Ajax, it happens sometimes in Pre Season. It is amazing what a pre season game without all but 2 of our first team players can do, suddenly we stuffed because our keepers are pants, our younsters are s**t and if we don't make 5 £50m signings then are going to get relegated.........

I think we have a problem with goalkeepers at Chelsea. We cant rely on the youth just yet although they will need chances for experience. However, apart from having the best keeper ever (Cech) we need some good backup! I don't think Turnbull is upto the job. I have seen many terrible errors by him but hopefuly he can be patient and improve and learn from Cech. Hilario on the other hand is too old, simple. I have always wanted Chelsea to sign Joe Hart but it would be a shame to as he deserves first team football. I think Mandanda and Steklenburg would be a good signing for Chelsea :)

To be fair esk you should know of all people Turnbull had that absolute shocker against Villa reserves last season too! It's not a one off.

So are you saying we hound a keeper for every error they make? In that case Cech should be out of here by your logic!

The games that Cech will miss that matter, are against teams you'd expect our defence to have an easier day.

West Brom, Wigan, Stoke, West Ham and Blackpool.

The first real test will be on the 25th September against Man City and I expect Cech to be back long before then anyway.

So are you saying we hound a keeper for every error they make? In that case Cech should be out of here by your logic!

I'm saying I've seen Turnbull make what could be considered as 5-7 mistakes in one and a half games and in his other games has he ever looked like a top class keeper? For Middlesbrough not really either, Chelsea 5 - 0 Middlesbrough do we remember that? Yeah Turnbull was in goal. Conceded two against APOEL, then played in goal against West Ham and Inter Milan hardly inspired in either game there.

I just don't think he's got any kind of place even being third choice, the only good thing is he's homegrown -- other than that he's a mid-table/lower-end goalkeeper, I honestly think Delac is a more accomplished goalkeeper and would feel better having a 17 year old kid in goal than Turnbull.

I just don't think he's got any kind of place even being third choice, the only good thing is he's homegrown -- other than that he's a mid-table/lower-end goalkeeper, I honestly think Delac is a more accomplished goalkeeper and would feel better having a 17 year old kid in goal than Turnbull.

You can't really say that. You haven't seen him play here yet, it's a complete different set up to what he's used to.

You can't really say that. You haven't seen him play here yet, it's a complete different set up to what he's used to.

To be fair I've seen a few of highlights from his games at zapresic and I've seen him in U19 Euros that have just gone and he inspires more confidence as a goalkeeper than Ross Turnbull does for me? I've seen about the same amount from both of them and I think Turnbull is a worse goalkeeper. Simple.

To be fair I've seen a few of highlights from his games at zapresic and I've seen him in U19 Euros that have just gone and he inspires more confidence as a goalkeeper than Ross Turnbull does for me? I've seen about the same amount from both of them and I think Turnbull is a worse goalkeeper. Simple.

But seeing them in different circumstances cannot give you an accurate comparison. Remember, Turnbull played vs Inter Milan! Sure we lost the game, but he himself had a very composed an controlled game. Don't get me wrong, I look forward to what Delac can bring us, but I think you're being a bit too harsh on Turnbull. You've highlighted his negatives, but there must be more positives to make Ancelotti keep him on the senior squad list.