Possible Goalkeeper Problem?

We do have a problem in my opinion. Until recently I was always very confident in Hilario; despite him being weak at crosses (a trait far too common in Premier League goalkeepers these days) he is an able shot-stopper and very rarely puts a foot wrong. However after the 4-2 home defeat to Manchester City (for which I think he was ultimately at fault for two goals) I am far less assured when I see him between the sticks. Turnbull is a very able young goalkeeper with very little self-confidence. When he played a string of games in response to Cech's injury in February/March last season he didn't play badly at all but when he makes an error it seriously affects him. I noticed that first with a couple of games he played for the reserves. However when he has a run of four or five games his confidence increases and he puts in a good shift - he played well for Middlesbrough for the first half of the 2008/09 season and actually won them a few points; I remember him being brilliant against Liverpool and Arsenal at the Riverside that season.

In my honest opinion we need s quality back-up. Yes we have plenty of youthful options but I'm talking first division experience. When Petr had Cudicini as competition he played brilliantly, especially in his first two seasons. You also had the bonus of having the league's second-best goalkeeper as back-up when he was injured. Whilst Cech's not at the same level that he was prior to his head injury, before Carlo left you always felt confident - firstly because Petr would be playing well in order to ensure his place, and secondly because there was world class back-up. You really can't say the same of Hilario or Turnbull.

I think we need a back-up goalkeeper, even if its only for a season or two. Hilario's old and will most likely be retiring in a season or two, and he may even leave the club before then. He is a great servant to Chelsea but he is no Carlo Cudicini. We need someone with experience - not necessarily someone young like Asenjo or Hart (both of whom would cost mega-bucks) but someone who's been there, done it and worn the jersey. Someone with experience who can both push Cech and make you feel a little bit more assured when the big man is out.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do have a problem in my opinion. Until recently I was always very confident in Hilario; despite him being weak at crosses (a trait far too common in Premier League goalkeepers these days) he is an able shot-stopper and very rarely puts a foot wrong. However after the 4-2 home defeat to Manchester City (for which I think he was ultimately at fault for two goals) I am far less assured when I see him between the sticks. Turnbull is a very able young goalkeeper with very little self-confidence. When he played a string of games in response to Cech's injury in February/March last season he didn't play badly at all but when he makes an error it seriously affects him. I noticed that first with a couple of games he played for the reserves. However when he has a run of four or five games his confidence increases and he puts in a good shift - he played well for Middlesbrough for the first half of the 2008/09 season and actually won them a few points; I remember him being brilliant against Liverpool and Arsenal at the Riverside that season.

In my honest opinion we need s quality back-up. Yes we have plenty of youthful options but I'm talking first division experience. When Petr had Cudicini as competition he played brilliantly, especially in his first two seasons. You also had the bonus of having the league's second-best goalkeeper as back-up when he was injured. Whilst Cech's not at the same level that he was prior to his head injury, before Carlo left you always felt confident - firstly because Petr would be playing well in order to ensure his place, and secondly because there was world class back-up. You really can't say the same of Hilario or Turnbull.

I think we need a back-up goalkeeper, even if its only for a season or two. Hilario's old and will most likely be retiring in a season or two, and he may even leave the club before then. He is a great servant to Chelsea but he is no Carlo Cudicini. We need someone with experience - not necessarily someone young like Asenjo or Hart (both of whom would cost mega-bucks) but someone who's been there, done it and worn the jersey. Someone with experience who can both push Cech and make you feel a little bit more assured when the big man is out.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

• 2 weeks later...