Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

Atletico Madrid vs Chelsea

2e1afbo.png

UCL, 3 November 2009, Vicente Calderon, 1945 KO

Chelsea face Spanish side Atletico Madrid in Spain as they look to extent their lead in Group D.

The Blues can qualify to the Round of 16 with a victory in Madrid, which would be their fourth victory from as many games should they amass three points. The Blues have been ruthlessly efficient in Europe this season; scoring six goals in total without being breached.

Can Chelsea qualify in Spain?

Match chat here.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Football Supporters' Federation has yet again produced a guide for Chelsea fans heading out on their European travels. To get the low-down on Madrid (where to drink and eat, information about the stadium and the city itself), simply follow the link below:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/ground-guide/international-clubs/atletico-madrid/

If you've got any questions about the city, just drop us an email and we'll be happy to help

Cheers - FSF

Be a diff side to last time,new manager and all but hopfully we can start winning away from home again,get the 3 points and make top space more ours and bigger gap etc

They are still stuck with terrible defenders until the transfer window. Against Bilboa on Saturday, they could have been 3-0 down at half-time, and their opponents are one of the worst offensive teams in Spain. Atletico did pick it up in the second half and deserved an equaliser striking the post twice through Forlan and Aguero. But I wouldn't expect any dramatic improvements in performance to the last time we played them.

I think we should pick a strong team and look to put the game to bed before half time if possible. Unfortunately it seems Ancelotti is going to rest our important players for the game against Man Utd next Sunday. Drogba seems certain to miss out, and I would expect three or four others to join him.

Personally if he's fit I would want the physical presence of Drogba over Kalou in a game like this. The Atletico defence is weak and he could give them hell for 55-60 minutes if given the chance to play.

Atletico will surely be going for it needing a win to stand any chance of qualifying or, more realistically, capturing the third spot in the group. But they are struggling to score goals and I would expect us to keep a clean sheet. If we rest the likes of Drogba, Anelka and Ballack this could easily end up a 0-0 that would keep Porto in with a realistic chance of snatching the top spot after Matchday six.

Wow, love the graphic. Looks great.

Atletico Madrid at this precise moment are absolutely shit and we really genuinely could go there and bag another 4. I'm not saying we're gonna score 4 every week but it really is a chance to wrap the group up and have the chance to rest key players for Porto away which is in a key period in the season. Play the team that's in mind for Man Utd, get the job done and hopefully follow it on on sunday. Looking forward to it actually. They lost again at the weekend :lol:

This game will pan out either of two ways in my opinion; we'll either beat them by capitalising on our brilliant form and their woeful record, or they'll come out looking to prove a point and we could end up on the wrong end of a bad result.

This game will pan out either of two ways in my opinion; we'll either beat them by capitalising on our brilliant form and their woeful record, or they'll come out looking to prove a point and we could end up on the wrong end of a bad result.

Yeh Rosenburg first time round came out to prove a point and they bloody did!

<H3 id=headline class=headline>TEAM NEWS: ATLETICO MADRID V Chelsea </H3>Posted on: Tue 03 Nov 2009Joe Cole and Salomon Kalou are the two players selected to support lone striker Didier Drogba.

Cole will be playing his first Champions League football of 2009 in what is expected to be the Christmas tree formation.

Michael Ballack is on the bench after playing the whole of the last four games so Florent Malouda joins Frank Lampard and Michael Essien in midfield.

Alex is given his second start of the season, Ashley Cole returns from injury and as in the first meeting between these sides, Juliano Belletti is at right-back.

Atlético make changes from the first game. Ex-Liverpool man Florent Sinama Pongolle comes in up front as Diego Forlan's partner with Sergio Aguero dropped to the bench. Former Arsenal man José Antonio Reyes comes into midfield.

Chelsea are expected to line up in the following 4-3-2-1 formation:

1 Petr Cech

35 Juliano Belletti

33 Alex

26 John Terry ©

3 Ashley Cole

8 Frank Lampard

5 Michael Essien

15 Florent Malouda

21 Salomon Kalou

10 Joe Cole

11 Didier Drogba

Substitutes: 40 Hilario, 2 Branislav Ivanovic, 6 Ricardo Carvalho, 12 Michael Ballack, 20 Deco, 23 Daniel Sturridge, 39 Nicolas Anelka.

Atlético Madrid are expected to line up in the following 4-diamond-2 formation:

Sergio Asenjo; Perea, Pablo Ibanez, Juanito, Antonio Lopez; Paulo Assuncao; Reyes, Simao ©; Cleber Santana; Forlan, Sinama Pongolle.

Substitutes: De Gea, Ujfalusi, Raul Garcia, Maxi Rodriguez, Jurado, Alvaro Dominguez, Aguero.

The referee is The referee is Bjorn Kuipers from the Netherlands