Internazionale vs Chelsea

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Mikel Obi is anticipating an occasion to remember when we face José Mourinho's Inter in LA on Tuesday.

It is almost two years since Mourinho left his role as Chelsea manager, taking the reins at the San Siro where he steered the Nerazzuri to a fourth successive Scudetto.

Now he comes face to face with the Blues for the first time, a date we have all been looking forward to, as Nigerian international midfielder Mikel explained.

'I think it will be a big thing because obviously Mourinho was at Chelsea for a really long time and he was successful. To play against him now as manager of Inter will be a big thing for the club and fans as well,' the 22-year-old acknowledged.

'We are all looking forward to it and I know he is as well, but it is still a friendly and it will be friendly football.

'I think José is enjoying life in Italy right now, we are all looking forward to seeing him. I think he has been to England a few times but not met with the guys, so it will be good to have a chat and see how he is enjoying his time at Inter.'

While he believes the atmosphere will be friendly, Mikel insisted that we will still be playing to win.

'I don't think it will be a rivalry but José always wants to win, it doesn't matter that it's a friendly, and we all want to win and have to make sure we play well,' he said.

Mikel, who played half an hour in our 2-0 win over the Seattle Sounders on Saturday, has also had kind words for the man now occupying Mourinho's former role, Carlo Ancelotti.

'He is a big man, I think his record speaks for itself, he has done everything and won everything in Italy,' he began. 'Now it is time for him to face a new challenge and that's why he came to Chelsea, hopefully he can do the same thing.

'He is a really nice guy and everyone is happy with him and we all have a good relationship with him. We hope we can win trophies.'

The prospect of silverware is still some way off with match fitness being the main thing the squad is currently trying to accumulate. Mikel believes that America is an ideal place for pre-season.

'I think everything has been done professionally here like it is in England and in Europe. We are all enjoying our stay here, we love coming here for pre-season and I think one of the reasons is that everything is conducted well. We get a lot of practice and rest and we are all happy,' he reported.

'The most important thing right now is that we are all getting back to fitness and [inter] will be a big test for us. The game will be a big test for us and we can't wait until we get there.'

From TOCFCWS.

Looks like a game to enjoy for sure.

Going to be a very interesting game thats for sure for many reasons. Will be good to have the African lads back in the team, should give us some very interesting options. Also will be good to see Zhirkov for the first time.....

I think it will be very, very tight. I hope we can win, which I am confident we will.

A lot will have to do with Fitness levels of each team at this stage. But yes i am confident we will win this game as well..

He can't play mate because he doesn't have a work permit yet.

yeah too bad. but we will see our african stars on the pitch :)

Many players said that it will be very emotional match for many of them. They want to win this match even much more than any other friendly. It's match against the Special One ,the man who bring many of our players at SB. I will get up earlie because i will not forgive myself if miss that match.