Yuri Zhirkov

DavidEU

What a waste of space and money. I'd terminate his contract in the summer if only to have a free slot avialble for a foreign player. You can forget about trying to recoup some money, who on earth would want this waste of space?

£18M was it? What a joke.

What a waste of space and money. I'd terminate his contract in the summer if only to have a free slot avialble for a foreign player. You can forget about trying to recoup some money, who on earth would want this waste of space?

Can't blame him for being injured & our inability to negotiate an appropriate price. :rolleyes:

You could say he had a hand in us winning the league last season.

Shackeled Valencia at Old Toilet.

After watching a re-run of the Bolton match in April i was shocked at the amount of vital tackles and interceptions he put it, without him we might have dropped points and possibly lost the league.

Can't blame him for being injured & our inability to negotiate an appropriate price. :rolleyes:

He comes across as weak with a very low pain threshold.

I don't even know what the purpose of signing him was. £18M for a left sided player who is nowhere near as good as Ashley or Malouda. You don't spend that much on what is essentially a back-up.

The term abject failure was created for transfers like this.

Your comment is a joke. Because he doesn't have a star name that doesn't mean he is not good enough. In Russia he was one of the best players, nicknamed 'Russian Ronaldinho' which was a not a coincidence. He was coming here to fill the left flank and IF he had a proper chance to prove his worth, he would be on of the best players in the league, as every time (twice, only twice!) he played as a left winger, he was outstanding. He was pretty unlucky with his injuries and with Malouda who was in the form of his life last year. This season he is a poor shit, like almost everybody.

I don't even know what the purpose of signing him was. £18M for a left sided player who is nowhere near as good as Ashley or Malouda. You don't spend that much on what is essentially a back-up.

That's unfair, we don't know what his injury actually is.

As I said before, we can't judge him based on what the club paid. We know Chelsea are awful in the art of negotiations, so we shouldn't hold this against him.

You make it sound like he's been playing for us for years.

I like Zhirkov i think he has a turn of pace that we lack in our squad. The thing is its very rare for a club to be this quiet on a player being injured.

Think they were just as quite about Bosingwa and maybe Essien. At least Ancelotti kept telling us that Lampard is out for 3 weeks.

i think we rated zhirkov too early

he is not given a chance to adapt and pick up english.

thats the problem with buying foreign players - especially those who don't speak a common language. it is hard to communicate on the field and basically u can only leave it to football doing the talking

I do think we paid over the odds for him, but as far as threshold for pain goes, the video speaks for itself. Especially at around 2:03 where he heads a clearance despite a nasty gash on his head. His resolve was quite impressive during this match last season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Xi8hdtwRE

A lot of you are being really harsh on Yuri. He has never been giving a solid run of games in the first team to become the superstar that use want. He has come into a completely different league and has hardly been given a chance to prove himself. I remember when Ivan played a couple of games for us and everyone was getting onto his back about how he would get taken out of the game so easily. Ivan was then given a run of games and look at him now, he is one of the best defenders in the world. There is a reason why he was signed up and until he is given a run of 10-15 games in the first team i will not mark judgement on him because to be fair he has never really done anything wrong besides give the ball away a few times.

Yuri has 29 appearances for Chelsea and most of them are from the bench, the only time he has been given a fair run in the first team was when Ash was injured. So give the guy a break, Yes he has had his fair share of injuries but most players do.

Absolutely agree with you, Steve,

Yury offers a lot to this team... we can see from the Blackburn away game in particular his pace and creativity is actually a massive asset, and people certainly weren't criticising the man who was our most consistent performer towards the back end of last season when Cole was injured.