Yuri Zhirkov

DavidEU

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yuri Zhirkov promises Chelsea fans: You'll see the best of me now

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 1:44 PM on 19th December 2009

Chelsea midfielder Yuri Zhirkov insists the best is yet to come after finally getting fit since his move from CSKA Moscow.

Zhirkov has enjoyed a growing involvement in recent weeks, shaking off the knee problem that held him back after his July transfer and displaying glimpses of his ability as an energetic and skilful wide player, equally comfortable on the front or back foot.

The Russian will be hoping for another slice of action against West Ham on Sunday as Chelsea seek to retain a three-point lead at the top of the Premier League table.

article-0-0785EB1D000005DC-626_468x368.jpg

Confident: Yuri Zhirkov is challenged by Apoel Nicosia's Kamil Kosowski

'After the transfer there was an injury so I am very happy now to be able to play,' said Zhirkov.

'For about one month I was out of training and it was hard psychologically. It wasn't fun.'

A debut against AC Milan in a Baltimore friendly in pre-season saw him score the winner in a 2-1 success, but that was the last Chelsea fans saw of him until September and a competitive debut against QPR in the Carling Cup.

Zhirkov admits it has been a frustrating time.

article-1237109-0609C03C000005DC-389_233x364.jpg

From Russia with love: Yury Zhirkov

'This is always the case when you try to get back into the game as soon as possible,' said Zhirkov.

'You think you are recovered fully but then you go on the pitch and still feel the pain, so you have to go off.

'That's what happened in this case, the intention was to get back into the game as soon as possible. The head is there to play but the legs do not always follow.'

After a prolonged absence from competitive football, a little rustiness is to be expected, and Zhirkov happily admits Chelsea fans are still to see his best form, either at the back or further forward.

'I haven't done anything special so far in the games so I cannot say I am very happy with that yet,' he added.

'When I was playing in CSKA I was playing left-back, but probably going forward a lot more than here, it is very different here.

'It doesn't really matter to me, I am happy to play, and can comfortably play in either defence or midfield.

'Training is different from what it was in Russia. It is more hard work here but I am getting used to it in England,' he smiled.

'Matches too are very different, both in the way the game is played and the way it is followed. The level of football in England is absolutely fantastic, and that is the real difference. There are players from all over the world that can end up in England.

'It is not every day that you receive an offer from a club like Chelsea. Even to train with Chelsea is better and more rewarding than to play against some other teams in Russia.'

Chelsea will have striker Didier Drogba back for the trip to Upton Park. The Ivory Coast international missed the win over Portsmouth with a back injury.

Ricardo Carvalho, rested against Pompey, will return in defence alongside John Terry while Joe Cole is likely to replace Deco at the front of the diamond formation.

yes..indeed we'll wait you come up !

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Think about it, he has not got much chance of playing at Left wing or at least Left back with Malouda and Ashley Cole continuing their excellent form, and it seems if Malouda were to say get injured then Kalou or Sturridge seem to be Carlo's choice of filling the gap. Also its seems Carlo has some hope in PvA developing as a quality LB so that could stop Zhirkov going into their and if Kakuta is to feature more the left wing seems to be his more natural position. Hence this equals less chances for Zhirkov getting playing time and certainly less chance to play at left wing - last season he only had 10 starts.

If I were personally close to him like a family/close friend or his agent, I would defiantly voice the opinion of moving clubs to get more playing time to him.

We should play him in all the league cup matches and maybe the fa cup depending on how far we get. Also try give him some champions league matches when we have qualified from the group stages and and just generally fill in when Ashley isnt available and hope he does well enough to earn more regular apearences. Theres no way hes going to make the team at the moment though Ashley and Malouda are on fire.

• 2 weeks later...