Portsmouth vs Chelsea

BlueLion.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they reckoned on talk shit Di Santo was gana come on for Drogba but then he scored lol

Wooooo!! Another late goal but meh a few weeks back we wouldnt have even got that and from Drogba!! :D

And bloody hell when it rains it pours!! Good job Pompy finally put a roof on the away end

Shame both scums had to win but meh we did and thats what counts

Edited by Laylabelle

Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink praised his side's mental strength and character after they beat Portsmouth 1-0 at a rain-soaked Fratton Park.

A Didier Drogba strike 11 minutes from time was enough to give Chelsea all three points and keep their faint title hopes alive.

"Drogba is one of the men in the team who is a leader. He knows there is always a chance to score," Hiddink said.

"We can improve but the team showed their strength. Let's hope we can keep up the pressure. It was a close match and Petr Cech made some good saves."

The win keeps the Blues second and moves them to within four points of leaders Manchester United, although the champions have two games in hand.

The Dutch boss was understandably pleased with the victory, but especially after the hosts had numerous good chances to win the game themselves.

"It's good, the team are mentally strong, the team showed a lot of character," he told Sky Sports.

Risks

"I had prepared my third substitution for the 75th minute and we might have taken some risks but the goal came at a good moment."

Hiddink was also pleased that his side had applied pressure to United ahead of their fixture away at Newcastle on Wednesday.

"The pressure is on to go for the championship, when you are chasing its good to keep the pressure on," he added.

The Russia national team boss also found time to praise his match winner Drogba as the Ivory Coast international claimed only his second league goal of the season.

"He is the man in the team who's leading who's mentally strong," Hiddink added.

"He is enjoying his football and enjoying his training. He had a difficult night and he had a slight chance and he took it."

There is one thing i have to add to the match chat : I never would´ve believed that, but without Nico we weren´t that sharp in attacking yesterday like we used to be against Wigan and Villa.

Nico really makes a difference now, he gives defences more to do as a Malouda, altough Florent really looked interessted in the game...