Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Thought he was our best player last night ,but agree about his limitations when in a forward position, In an ideal world Branna would be the best defensive cover in world football and would play most games at C/B or R/B . When you need to break teams down at home though he lacks the technique to make us tick. Dave is not the answer either though ,from what I have seen.

He's brilliant at set-pieces, but that goes without saying considering his size.

It's in open-play where we suffer. He's perfect at RB when we're doing a backs-to-the-wall defensive effort against the likes of Barca/Bayern, but when we dominate play and need better combination play + more guile on the flanks then he's simply not good enough. I'm not singling him out because I've said the same about Ashley. Our wing-play is poor because our fullbacks aren't particularly good technically and clever on the ball. You look around the top European clubs and their fullbacks are brilliant, technically gifted players. Ashley and Ivan are excellent defenders but they provide very little going forward.

The sad thing is Cole used to be excellent at attacking as well but as he is getting older, just seems he does not have the legs anymore. Him and Evra are the same age but Evra still has that attacking instinct. I remember a few seasons ago Cole was one of the best attacking fullbacks. His goal against Sunderland was perfect, when we beat Arsenal 3-0 at the Emirates, they could not handle his runs and if IIRC Cole provided 2 assists in that game. Was brilliant to watch. That is why in games we expect to win, for instance Fulham at home I would like to see Bertrand at LB because he has the ability to support attackers and is simply a better attacker and he has done well most times I have seen him in a Chelsea shirt.

Maybe not so much these days, but Ivanovic was brilliant as a right back under Ancelotti.

Drogba, Malouda and Lampard (rightly) get showered with plaudits for that season, but Ivanovic at right back instead of Bosingwa was also a big factor to us winning it too.

Maybe not so much these days, but Ivanovic was brilliant as a right back under Ancelotti.

Drogba, Malouda and Lampard (rightly) get showered with plaudits for that season, but Ivanovic at right back instead of Bosingwa was also a big factor to us winning it too.

That's the key word, right there: "instead of Bosingwa". That man can make Ross Turnbull look like a decent RB in comparison.

That's the key word, right there: "instead of Bosingwa". That man can make Ross Turnbull look like a decent RB in comparison.

He was top class at right back under Ancelotti, probably the best in the whole league. It baffles me how its rarely acknowledged.

He was top class at right back under Ancelotti, probably the best in the whole league. It baffles me how its rarely acknowledged.

Under Ancelotti? You mean the season where he was injured almost all of it or the season that he was mostly Iva's sub? Bosingwa had a good first season here, but was hardly the best in the league. We may have different ideas on what a fullback should do. Imo, a fullback should defend first. Anything he provides on the offense is a bonus that counts for nothing unless he does his defensive duties first.

Under Ancelotti? You mean the season where he was injured almost all of it or the season that he was mostly Iva's sub? Bosingwa had a good first season here, but was hardly the best in the league. We may have different ideas on what a fullback should do. Imo, a fullback should defend first. Anything he provides on the offense is a bonus that counts for nothing unless he does his defensive duties first.

He was up there with Sagna IMO but as you say was vulnerable in defence. Overall though thought he was very good and scored a couple of excellent goals as well.

I was on about Ivanovic being excellent as a right back under Ancelotti, not Bosingwa. I thought Bos was crap even under Scolari when he was getting more plaudits than there is crocodiles in the nile.

I was on about Ivanovic being excellent as a right back under Ancelotti, not Bosingwa. I thought Bos was crap even under Scolari when he was getting more plaudits than there is crocodiles in the nile.

Lol, my bad. Yeah, I actually agree there. I said somewhere that he's been on the decline since Ancelotti left and got slatted for saying I think it's time we cashed in on him back in the summer. Right now, my issue with Iva is his positioning and his inability to close crosses down. Lost count of the times we've conceded because of that.

Not even sure why is he crossing the ball though. I mean who the heck is going to win those headers or challenges especially against CBs like Hangeland today.

i am not sure if it was he or someone else who put the low-cross that etoo almost scored from when he got ahead of stockdale.

but yes, most of his crosses are purely executed and well worthless since no striker of ours goes to win the ball.

i am not sure if it was he or someone else who put the low-cross that etoo almost scored from when he got ahead of stockdale.

but yes, most of his crosses are purely executed and well worthless since no striker of ours goes to win the ball.

It was Ivanovic that crossed the ball. If we are to put in crosses, it should be low ones and delivered in quickly behind the opposition defence before they get too deep to cut those out OR cut backs to someone in the box. Otherwise, high crosses are absolutely pointless. Only perhaps useful if we play Ba upfront.