Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

5 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Gordon for 60 million has the feels of some under the table Arab money transfer deal.

Paying over the odds is an understatement...

For 60 million you must get top drawer players. If he is 60, then EPL market is beyond finished. He's an interesting prospect but he will still cost 60 million 2-3 years later even if he does develop to his potential. Paying 60 for someone young with potential but not a Messi level high ceiling is ludicrous.

Paying £60m for Gordon will set a new precedent in the future for other clubs.

3 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Paying £60m for Gordon will set a new precedent in the future for other clubs.

A record fee for a defender (Fofana) will do that.

Edited by LAM09

Just now, Blues Forever said:

A big difference Fofana is already proven, Gordon isn't.  

Proven? 

The guy was injured for how many months? He's only played 37 league games in two seasons.

I'd say he's a long way from it. 

Just now, LAM09 said:

Proven? 

The guy was injured for how many months? He's only played 37 league games in two seasons.

I'd say he's a long way from it. 

Fofana already performed in his first season and actually was one of the best CB in that season. Same argument why we paid £63m to Brighton for Cucurella.

9 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Gordon for 60 million has the feels of some under the table Arab money transfer deal.

Paying over the odds is an understatement...

For 60 million you must get top drawer players. If he is 60, then EPL market is beyond finished. He's an interesting prospect but he will still cost 60 million 2-3 years later even if he does develop to his potential. Paying 60 for someone young with potential but not a Messi level high ceiling is ludicrous.

I don't think he will cost £60m 2 - 3 years later if he realises his potential.

If he developed and became one of the more sought after players outside of the big 6 in the league he'll be comfortably within the £80-100m bracket.

You only have to look at what the likes of Van Dijk, Maguire and Grealish have gone for in recent seasons and the amounts that have or are currently being asked for the likes of Zaha, Fofana and Rice. 

This will boil down to whether the club truly believes he will elevate his game to reach that level whereby he's being sought after for that sort of figure. This isn't a £20-30m gamble on someone's potential, this is a deal that has to work.

2 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

Fofana already performed in his first season and actually was one of the best CB in that season. Same argument why we paid £63m to Brighton for Cucurella.

As I mentioned, he was out for how many months?

It's a massive gamble IMO. Also, we overpaid by some margin for Cucurella as well.

Just now, LAM09 said:

As I mentioned, he was out for how many months?

It's a massive gamble IMO. Also, we overpaid by some margin for Cucurella as well.

If we are talking about a massive gamble, Gordon fits this topic better than Fofana or Cucurella. 

2 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

If we are talking about a massive gamble, Gordon fits this topic better than Fofana or Cucurella. 

You were talking about precedents and as I mentioned, that ship has sailed. 

7 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

What i mean is setting precedent for a young unproven players.

I'm failing to understand your point. If your point is about signing young unproven players, just look at our transfer history (Baba Rahman is STILL on our books).

If your real issue is actually regarding the fee, overpaying of Cucu and Fofana will do enough damage in that regard.

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

I'm failing to understand your point. If your point is about signing young unproven players, just look at our transfer history (Baba Rahman is STILL on our books).

If your real issue is actually regarding the fee, overpaying of Cucu and Fofana will do enough damage in that regard.

Baba was £22m, came as one of the top 3 LB in Bundesliga. Gordon for £60m meanwhile hasn't show anything near that.

1 minute ago, Blues Forever said:

Baba was £22m, came as one of the top 3 LB in Bundesliga. Gordon for £60m meanwhile hasn't show anything near that.

He joined for £23.40m over 7 years ago. You do the maths on how much that would work out now.

Going round in a circle isn't the answer either. We've already laid down a damaging precedent, which will only get worse should Auba and Fofana join. Gordon will just be the tip of the iceberg.

2 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

He joined for £23.40m over 7 years ago. You do the maths on how much that would work out now.

Going round in a circle isn't the answer either. We've already laid down a damaging precedent, which will only get worse should Auba and Fofana join. Gordon will just be the tip of the iceberg.

As i said before Baba had that price tag because of his status as one of the top LB in Bundesliga. Same reason why both Brighton and Leicester put £63m and £80m for Cucurella and Fofana.

22 minutes ago, Blues Forever said:

15 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

tbf Baba was a one season wonder and everybody who watched bundesliga that season could see that cos he was game-raising. he had anonymous stinkers vs most of the poor sides and only played out of his skin vs the big guns when he knew the socuts were watching. after he got his big money move to us he never really turned up again his entire career. was another example of poor scouting and transfer decision making. i was raging back then when we signed him just after getting rid of felipe luis and ryan bertrand.

Gordon just like baba costs as much bc the teams they played for value them higher than what would represent fair value under normal conditions. On top of that Gordon also has the English tax. Plus teams know they can pull our pants down atm so they do. There can be no reasonable argument over whether the dude is worth it or not.

I dont know why Barca act like they're in the driving seat regarding Auba, setting the price, pay this or he wont go?  I mean logically they would be more desperate to offload him than we are to buying him. We will survive, they need to sell to register Kounde. Just play it smart and wait till near deadline day where they will be more desperate to sell.

14 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

I dont know why Barca act like they're in the driving seat regarding Auba, setting the price, pay this or he wont go?  I mean logically they would be more desperate to offload him than we are to buying him. We will survive, they need to sell to register Kounde. Just play it smart and wait till near deadline day where they will be more desperate to sell.

Barca are very arrogant.. they would probably rather cut their nose off to spite their face.