Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal

Jase

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Is there any reason that subs before the shootout isn't permitted? Seems bizzare tbh. 

This should be a rule change to be honest. If you still have a spare sub you are allowed to bring them on for the penalty shoot out. 

You are able to make changes at half time or full time if going to extra time, so I don't see why it's never been allowed.

10 hours ago, Vegetable said:

I was wondering why commentators were so shocked by this sub and surprised that Tuchel and Mendy had set it up before the match; It wasn't any mastermind move after all, Mendy seems terrible and not comfortable with pens, Kepa tends to be suprisingly good with them, so what's the news?

It's likely because managers don't often do this, do they? I mean, the highest profile of such sub was Van Gaal with the Dutch at one of the recent World Cups. Can't remember any other examples. 

6 minutes ago, Jase said:

It's likely because managers don't often do this, do they? I mean, the highest profile of such sub was Van Gaal with the Dutch at one of the recent World Cups. Can't remember any other examples. 

But many of us expected that change. We discussed it even before last season finals. Rio Ferdinand lost all the credibility with how stupid he sounded last night and should resign!

10 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

But many of us expected that change. We discussed it even before last season finals. Rio Ferdinand lost all the credibility with how stupid he sounded last night and should resign!

I agree. 90% of the coverage was about to that change and the immense effort we invested in that match went a bit under the radar. Given we had 6 subs, whilst van Gaal sacrificed one of his only 3 subs for this makes the move even less spectacular and more calculated. Nothing  genius or amazing about it. Just a professional, common sense decision from a very professional, experienced coach.

9 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

This should be a rule change to be honest. If you still have a spare sub you are allowed to bring them on for the penalty shoot out. 

You are able to make changes at half time or full time if going to extra time, so I don't see why it's never been allowed.

I was thinking the same thing. It really makes no sense that this isn't permitted.

1 hour ago, Jase said:

I knew it was going to happen, said it would, and so not shocked it did

Mendy is SHIT at pens, Kepa is sorta good at them, short arms and all

he takes chances with his dives (usually, that knees-only stay-in-the-centre save was amazing a while back), so either looks like shite or makes the save

idiot press, POOR homework by all of them (or most)

15 hours ago, BluesMadLad said:

Am sure some 1 would take a yellow to get the keeper on lol 

Rudiger, Hazard-stylee, would take out the ball boy if he had to, just walk over and smack him, lolol

ball boy gifs | WiffleGif

Edited by Vesper

15 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

We fans expecting it is different to everyone else expecting. It's still not a common move after all. 

Ferdinand might have wished Solskjaer had the balls to do the same in the Europa League final. May well have won that instead.