Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal

Jase

5 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

and three of those were before Roman bought us, so people (Pool and Manure, you fucking CUNTS) can fuck off when they say we only have been good since 2004

33 topflight trophies and counting, 21 under Roman, 12 before

and only 4 of those were Community Shield (2 before Roman, 2 during his ownership)

we have lost that motherfucker 9 times (3 on pens, arf and in those 3 pen shootouts we only made a COMBINED 3 of the pens, including ZERO in 2007 versus Manure) 

7 of the 9 losses were under Roman, smdh

acbbbb9f166f67022d827a8ac0c613c4.png

the 4 wins (including some revenge against Manure in 2009, when we won 4-1 on pens)

89ed0341e3c8913373327feb558fa14c.png

1 hour ago, We Hate Scouse said:

Fun fact 2: Chelsea have won more European trophies than Man Utd

I'm sure they've also won the super cup at least once which would make it 6 all. Am I misremembering something?

Edit: Idiot! I'm not counting our Super Cups! 😞

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

5 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

classy

I always liked Villarreal, as they tended to torment fucking Barca and Real at times

and Emery is a damn good manager

his subs tonight were perfectly timed

he just had fuckall cards to deal

Arsenal were IDIOTS to not back him

Edited by Vesper

1 hour ago, milka said:

We won everything in Europe last 3  years so i really dont care next years what we will do in CL 😂

Focus on Premier League .

we can talk after we win the FWCC

that gold shield world champions badge for a year or probably two is Billy Big Bollocks level stuffs

Official FIFA World Club Champions Player Issue Patch Badge Sporting ID –  Kitroom Football

Edited by Vesper

Yep, Chalobah defo MOTM for me. Kovacic played the whole game and apart from the error he made early stages, thought he had a decent game too. That recovery challenge he made in extra time, on empty fuel was brilliant too. Another CM is defo needed though and ideally one with a bit of a physical presence and guile also for sure. Kante will have his injury issues and will need careful management. That leaves Jorginho and Kovacic as the only established CM. Should defo target another one, as we are competing on many fronts once again.

Edited by Stats

Chelsea vs Villarreal player ratings: UEFA Super Cup grades

https://theprideoflondon.com/2021/08/12/Chelsea-vs-villarreal-player-ratings-uefa-super-cup-grades/

Chelsea’s march toward the meaningful matches continued with a thrilling victory over Villarreal via a penalty shootout in the UEFA Super Cup. Scratch that, apparently this was a meaningful match, it was only going to be considered a preseason fixture if the Blues were to lose. Thomas Tuchel’s men looked sloppier in this contest than they have in any of their recent preseason contests, so you’d be forgiven for thinking it was just another fitness test. Chelsea’s abysmal second half performance almost saw a European trophy evade it to begin the season and it would’ve marked a fourth straight loss in this particular competition.

In the end, the Blues emerged victorious despite stumbling over their own feet. Kepa Arrizabalaga proved to be the hero as he saved two penalties in the shootout to save Chelsea from embarrassment after a lackadaisical showing. The Blues fans in Belfast are undoubtedly thrilled, as are all of the Chelsea faithful around the world. There were some concerning signs throughout the two-hour affair, but let’s save those for another day. For now, it’s time to celebrate some European silverware at the start of the season.

Here is how each player performed in the Super Cup victory against Villarreal:

Edouard Mendy (Goalkeeper): 8/10

Edouard Mendy was gargantuan in this game. He was practically standing on his head as Chelsea’s makeshift defense was beaten time after time in the second half. The goal conceded was faulted to the defensive errors along the back line and realistically there was little Mendy could have done. He did have one miscue when he slipped sending a goal kick forward, but quickly got back onto his feet and made a fingertip save to put the shot onto the post. If this is what preseason/early year Mendy looks like, we are sure in for a treat during his sophomore campaign.

Trevoh Chalobah (Right centerback): 9/10

Trevoh Chalobah was rewarded for his efforts in preseason with his competitive debut for Chelsea. Despite the young defender’s likely loan in the coming days, he was handed a start in the Super Cup for his superb displays throughout the last few weeks against Arsenal and Tottenham. Suffice it to say, he was incredible. Chalobah outlasted Kurt Zouma at the back and played the entirety of the match, which goes to show just how much trust Tuchel has in the young Englishman. These last few appearances have indicated Chalobah has a brighter future at Stamford Bridge than some may have previously thought. He seldom put a foot wrong during a match with European silverware on the line. Oh, and did I mention it was his debut? It’s a fact worth repeating as he looked more comfortable on the big stage than a majority of others on the pitch—for both sides.

Kurt Zouma (Centerback): 7/10

Zouma played well throughout his 65 minutes on the pitch. He was perhaps an unfair victim of the Blues’ sloppy play in the second half. The Frenchman seldom put a foot wrong during his time as the centermost defender in Tuchel’s back three, which may have the manager questioning his desire to swap Zouma for Sevilla star Jules Kounde. If there is a way for all of the centerbacks (plus Kounde) to co-exist, Chelsea needs to make it happen because selling Zouma would be a colossal mistake. On another note, fans found out on Wednesday night that the 6-foot-3 defender can in fact raise his leg above his head. If you know, you know.

Antonio Rudiger (Left centerback): 7.5/10

Antonio Rudiger’s darting runs from the defensive line are back, as are his no-nonsense tackles. His mistake lead to Villarreal’s lone goal throughout the 120 minutes and saw the contest eventually get taken to penalties. The mistake wasn’t anything too concerning, just a sloppy passage of play by the German defender as he was overthinking when attempting to play from out the back. Rudiger’s rating would’ve been significantly higher without the error as he was superb against the Spanish side otherwise.

snip

I wonder now the cats out of the bag regarding our keeper stragedy for penalties, teams will start playing keep ball against us at that stage to prevent us making the change?

56 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I wonder now the cats out of the bag regarding our keeper stragedy for penalties, teams will start playing keep ball against us at that stage to prevent us making the change?

Am sure some 1 would take a yellow to get the keeper on lol 

Everyone's is for Kepa, rightfully so, but I really love how prepared, smart and proactive Tuchel is; What he does is not very unexpected but right on time and thought-out and it's great to finally see a manager actually changing things all the time, plus, I see how those guys are becoming a team – long time unseen and much sought for.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't see how a team would be able to just keep the ball from us without losing it. Not even Guardiola's side can do that.

Also, unlike Solskjaer back in the Europa League final, Tuchel showed that he had the balls to change the keeper to the one better at saving penalties. Kudos to him for that. Although as debated on BT Sport last night, one does wonder whether Tuchel would do the same thing if it's the Champions League final. 

12 minutes ago, Jase said:

I don't see how a team would be able to just keep the ball from us without losing it. Not even Guardiola's side can do that.

Also, unlike Solskjaer back in the Europa League final, Tuchel showed that he had the balls to change the keeper to the one better at saving penalties. Kudos to him for that. Although as debated on BT Sport last night, one does wonder whether Tuchel would do the same thing if it's the Champions League final. 

We will likely try and put Kepa on in the last two minutes, I could easily see technically competent teams managing to keep it for a relitevely small amount of time. 

Is there any reason that subs before the shootout isn't permitted? Seems bizzare tbh. 

I was wondering why commentators were so shocked by this sub and surprised that Tuchel and Mendy had set it up before the match; It wasn't any mastermind move after all, Mendy seems terrible and not comfortable with pens, Kepa tends to be suprisingly good with them, so what's the news? 

Hadn't Sarri tried the same thing during the infamous managerial incident with Kepa, lol?

Edited by Vegetable

46 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Hadn't Sarri tried the same thing during the infamous managerial incident with Kepa, lol?

Nah, Sarri just thought Kepa was injured so was trying to sub him off. Kepa himself said later he just took his time to catch his breath and waste a few seconds on the clock. That was all just a big misunderstanding from all parties involved.

I already said before the UCL final that Kepa should be subbed on if it went down to penalties. In that game City were just too shite to even make it to pens, but I'm glad it happened yesterday. Mendy is a superior goalkeeper in pretty much every other metric, but it's obvious Kepa is the better option for penalties.