Chelsea legend Zola in running for Hammers job

the wes

Chelsea legend Gianfranco Zola is among the front-runners for the managerial job at West Ham. The Italian ace has joined Slaven Bilic, Gerard Houllier and Roberto Mancini as the leading candidates to replace Alan Curbishley.

West Ham moved quickly following Curbishley's departure and today the club's board narrowed their search for a new manager to a shortlist of six names.

The list is understood to include Houllier, the former Liverpool manager now technical director of the French federation, Croatia boss Bilic, plus three Zola, Mancini - the ex-Inter Milan coach - and former Italy manager Roberto Donadoni.

No approaches have been made to the likes of Harry Redknapp, Stuart Pearce, and board members have been bemused that both men have ruled themselves out when they were never under consideration.

A selection process will now take place with candidates being interviewed over the weekend and next week, and the club aim to be in a position to announce their new manager before their next match against West Brom on Saturday week.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/Ch...ning.4461799.jp

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see us start using ex-players in our academy set-up, like a lot of other clubs do. I would have been great to have Franco guiding our youth to becomming the next stars.

I wouldn't like to see him go there at all, he is far too good for them. But it will be good to see him get a bigger job on his way to being Chelsea boss one day.

Well it looks like its gonna happen, i'm actually a bit stunned by this. I mean we're hardly West Ham's best mates are we. Bit like when Wise was at Millwall then Leeds and Gus at Tottenham....

Edited by OllieCFC

It says on Setanta Sports news:

"Breaking News: West Ham United to announce either Gianfranco Zola or Roberto Donadoni as their new manager on thursday" :angry:

Its a 50/50 chance that Zola is gonna manage west ham, can you believe it?

Its either; all part of a grand plan, he will get them relegated, or...

In reality this is a pisser. Eastenders are not forgiving and will get on his back with a few bad results or if he shakes hands with a few ex Chels colleagues. Some WHam sites are already saying they dont want the ''Chelsea scum''

Its either; all part of a grand plan, he will get them relegated, or...

In reality this is a pisser. Eastenders are not forgiving and will get on his back with a few bad results or if he shakes hands with a few ex Chels colleagues. Some WHam sites are already saying they dont want the ''Chelsea scum''

I am sure they are, it is not exactly the most straight forward appointment by West Ham for many reasons. Just hope it doesn't go badl wrong for him if he does go there..