Expectations for new season?

Finish top 3 in league, win fa cup, semis of league cup and then win champions league, season after next

Also be very happy if RLC gets a regular starting place and is vital to our team next season, in addition to intergrating a few more youngsters into the team too. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

integration of youth and "depth in all positions" simply does not go hand in hand. 

I personally want first team upgrades over Oscar, pedro, cesc, GC, JT. Sell all of these players along with falcao and god help us if we actually buy Pato.

Gks - Thibaut, Begovic (HG), Blackman(HG)

Def - Zouma, Benatia, Andreas (HG), Azpi, Iva, Ake (HG), Baba, Clarke-Salter(HG)

CMs - Matic, Radja, RLC (HG), Baker (HG), Pasalic, Gundogan?Pjanic?Isco?James? (any good creative midfielder with not a hopeless defensive workrate and liability like Cesc and also decent ball retention skills and who can play at a consistently high level for more than 4 months).

Forwards - Costa, Hazard, Willian, Traore (HG), Kenedy (HG), Musonda (HG) 

If some players want to leave like Courtois then so be it. Sell them for twice their worth (and good riddance too) and buy a good replacement like Butland.

With having youth players as back ups, this will surely mean good youth integration. With no european distractions, we should get Top 6 if this squad plays upto their potential.

I dont want to play open attacking football. But i want to have an identity. Look at ATM for example. A brilliant team. That is what we should have turned to. That is how we should have been playing right now. And I would love to have a play like that. Those players play with their hearts. I have not seen us doing that since the 2011-12 CL campaign (just CL we were pathetic in PL).

Don't take this as a wind-up, but: 

So, you have been watching football for all the great defending (and in the case of Chelsea, slow build-up, poor movement, and lack of accurate passes) then?

Somewhere along the way in the Chelsea discussion of playing style, deficiencies, etc., I think some of you have taken to using your cognitive dissonance (enjoying football as a spectator, versus being a dedicated Chelsea fan while Chelsea have played like an overpriced inept attacking side that can't get it done on the attack) and taken "attacking football" to mean something "we are not" and something that is not good for Chelsea or the Premier League. 

Here in sanityland, where one can enjoy watching all-around football, the attack does not involve just eking out half-chances and watching a 5'8" dribbler dribble into a blind alley alone or relying utterly upon one tall African player to threaten the opposition's end. 

When I mentioned 'attacking football' it doesn't have the negative associations some of the pundits are happy to use for discussion in their TV segments.  It just had to do with adroitness in passing, movement, and creating chances with swiftness and confidence wrought from week-after-week of playing boldly and fearlessly on the attack; it's not about asking John Stones to play forward ground passes out the back or becoming Team Tippy-tappy --nor is it about over-committing to the attack.  

Things need to change, but they also need to change for a sustained period of time --as opposed to one half-season (first half of 2014/15 season) or just one season (the 2004/05 season). Chelsea need to be able and confident to play in every way a great football side can play -as-needed, with confidence and tradition/experience to back it up.

Lastly, depth with youth for the 22ish outfield positions in the squad is fine.

Not being crap....

Decent cup runs and a trophy to show for it.

Top 4 finish in the league..if top even better :D

Kick the season off in style with no stupid drama that over shadows everything

To not be a repeat of this season!!!Sod bouncing near the bottom again interesting as it was nahhhh

To remember how to play decent football!Hold onto a lead and keep a clean sheet and not have it be a omg moment..

33 minutes ago, quickpassnmove said:

Don't take this as a wind-up, but: 

So, you have been watching football for all the great defending (and in the case of Chelsea, slow build-up, poor movement, and lack of accurate passes) then?

Somewhere along the way in the Chelsea discussion of playing style, deficiencies, etc., I think some of you have taken to using your cognitive dissonance (enjoying football as a spectator, versus being a dedicated Chelsea fan while Chelsea have played like an overpriced inept attacking side that can't get it done on the attack) and taken "attacking football" to mean something "we are not" and something that is not good for Chelsea or the Premier League. 

Here in sanityland, where one can enjoy watching all-around football, the attack does not involve just eking out half-chances and watching a 5'8" dribbler dribble into a blind alley alone or relying utterly upon one tall African player to threaten the opposition's end. 

When I mentioned 'attacking football' it doesn't have the negative associations some of the pundits are happy to use for discussion in their TV segments.  It just had to do with adroitness in passing, movement, and creating chances with swiftness and confidence wrought from week-after-week of playing boldly and fearlessly on the attack; it's not about asking John Stones to play forward ground passes out the back or becoming Team Tippy-tappy --nor is it about over-committing to the attack.  

Things need to change, but they also need to change for a sustained period of time --as opposed to one half-season (first half of 2014/15 season) or just one season (the 2004/05 season). Chelsea need to be able and confident to play in every way a great football side can play -as-needed, with confidence and tradition/experience to back it up.

Lastly, depth with youth for the 22ish outfield positions in the squad is fine.

Yes I do. I watch football for the game. The game that includes Defending and attacking. I played as a Center Back for my University and a couple of very lower leagues and I appreciate the art of defending. I would rather watch Atletico Madrid vs Bayern Munich a 100 times over than watching City vs Madrid for all their sleak passing and attacking.

Mate, go and read my post again. "open attacking football". There is a difference between attacking football and silly open football the way Liverpool played under wenger or arsenal used to play a couple of years ago. We all know how that ends. I am sorry, but this is just hogwash. Chelsea in 09/10 have several crazy "attacking" records. We fans at the bridge appreciate attacking as well as defensive football and mostly football which shows the players giving their all. And while we would love to be the attacking force that we were in the first half of 2014/15, we accept that our squad is lacking GLARINGLY in attacking quality. Instead of trying to get a bunch of attacking players, the need of the hour is to build from the back. There is no point having Hazard, costa, willian upfront while having Ivanovic and Cahill and the back being protected by the likes of cesc. Thats not attacking football, thats suicide. And like i said, while the people at the bridge appreciate attacking football, we also appreciate basic common sense. We need to play to our strengths of the players. We do get some pacy, ball playing defenders along with the likes of Radja and Gundogan, I wont be one bit surprised watching us play slick, good , swift passing attacking football.

We are not a great football side. Despite the money that has been pumped into the club, we are not great, we are not elite, we are not even the best club in london currently. What we need to do is to get back to the drawing board. Get an identity. Understand the type of players we have and the type of youth players we have and give us an identity based on that rather than be reliant of roman's big fat cheques.

Thats not youth integration then. Thats just filling up the HG spot, something we have been doing for the last 10 years. No thank you. I want some academy products from the most successful academy in the world to be a part of the first team in the coming seasons.

5 hours ago, chelseafan26 said:

Yes I do. I watch football for the game. The game that includes Defending and attacking. I played as a Center Back for my University and a couple of very lower leagues and I appreciate the art of defending. I would rather watch Atletico Madrid vs Bayern Munich a 100 times over than watching City vs Madrid for all their sleak passing and attacking.

Mate, go and read my post again. "open attacking football". There is a difference between attacking football and silly open football the way Liverpool played under wenger or arsenal used to play a couple of years ago. We all know how that ends. I am sorry, but this is just hogwash. Chelsea in 09/10 have several crazy "attacking" records. We fans at the bridge appreciate attacking as well as defensive football and mostly football which shows the players giving their all. And while we would love to be the attacking force that we were in the first half of 2014/15, we accept that our squad is lacking GLARINGLY in attacking quality. Instead of trying to get a bunch of attacking players, the need of the hour is to build from the back. There is no point having Hazard, costa, willian upfront while having Ivanovic and Cahill and the back being protected by the likes of cesc. Thats not attacking football, thats suicide. And like i said, while the people at the bridge appreciate attacking football, we also appreciate basic common sense. We need to play to our strengths of the players. We do get some pacy, ball playing defenders along with the likes of Radja and Gundogan, I wont be one bit surprised watching us play slick, good , swift passing attacking football.

We are not a great football side. Despite the money that has been pumped into the club, we are not great, we are not elite, we are not even the best club in london currently. What we need to do is to get back to the drawing board. Get an identity. Understand the type of players we have and the type of youth players we have and give us an identity based on that rather than be reliant of roman's big fat cheques.

Thats not youth integration then. Thats just filling up the HG spot, something we have been doing for the last 10 years. No thank you. I want some academy products from the most successful academy in the world to be a part of the first team in the coming seasons.

Read my other posts on building a good squad from back-to-front. I'm happy to get an italian who will supposedly --in the Italian way-- do this.

I don't think we have anything to disagree about unless you just want to be disagreeable. 

It's not the fans' expectations - ultimately, it's what Roman and the Board wants and expects.  If they want the title or a top four finish, then Conte needs to be backed in the transfer market and allowed to buy and sell as he wants to.

If they want the same lofty results without spending and restricting Conte in anyway, Chelsea will slip into the bottom half or even struggle against relegation with the same squad and Hiddink will be recalled yet again for half a season.

For those of you who wants to stick a bunch of youth players into the first team and expect attacking football, that's a pipe dream.  Chelsea fans will be fortunate to see one youth player break into the first team every few years and rightly so as the gap is formidable to bridge.  The club needs winning Football, not attacking, defensive or whatever. 

I forgot to add that I want to see if Conte will also gamble on some loanee. 

We got already back from reading Hector and piazon. 

Piazon is a very sad case, I remember the hype when he got here. But would a run in our team give him some confidence? 

So this is a good thing I want to see. What kind of word Conte has? 

Remember the Mourinho promised kdb time and we saw what happened. So if Conte keeps a loanee then we have to see if he keeps his words or just another Mourinho case of failing to live up to his word. 

We need a new core of quality players who will fight for the club no matter what. Something we had in Lampard,Terry, Cole, Essien, Drogba and so on for years. Since 2012 we seriously lack this kind of characters in our team.