Manager confirmed

Plus villa on the right wing give your head a wobble esk :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lol, not my formation!! From the sun......

The positions Ballack and Lampard are in are their natural CM positions, they are not holding or sitting deep. They get box to box, it just happens that in this formation there is a creative midfielder ahead of them. It is the same as if we were playing a 4-4-2 and Lampard and Ballack are the 2 central midfielders working together to get forward and back. Same thing, but slightly different.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, not my formation!! From the sun......

The positions Ballack and Lampard are in are their natural CM positions, they are not holding or sitting deep. They get box to box, it just happens that in this formation there is a creative midfielder ahead of them. It is the same as if we were playing a 4-4-2 and Lampard and Ballack are the 2 central midfielders working together to get forward and back. Same thing, but slightly different.

I don't think I agree with you that we do not require a Defensive Midfielder. The DM is a large part of why we concede so few goals. If we're going to be knocking loads in every game at the other end, fair enough, but that's a big if. And I'd rather we just signed Villa, and have J. Cole in his position in that formation.

I don't think I agree with you that we do not require a Defensive Midfielder. The DM is a large part of why we concede so few goals. If we're going to be knocking loads in every game at the other end, fair enough, but that's a big if. And I'd rather we just signed Villa, and have J. Cole in his position in that formation.

I don't think a specific Defensive mid is really needed. Obviously in that formation, especially against the bigger teams it would be better to play Lampard or Ballack with Essien or Mikel, with Essien or Mikel not getting forward as much rather than holding.

You need someone to be able too sit and combat midfielders like anderson of man utd or kaka. These

players are the type who will get the ball and run at you with it. Ballack and lampard would not even get close to them watch this clip and you will see what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eursFk-nq3g

You need someone to be able too sit and combat midfielders like anderson of man utd or kaka. These

players are the type who will get the ball and run at you with it. Ballack and lampard would not even get close to them watch this clip and you will see what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eursFk-nq3g

How many teams use actual defensive midfielders? We don't need to spend so much time worrying about stopping other teams players, unless they are a specific threat. Against the majority of the Premier League - why bother? Like i said in most cases you would use Lampard OR Ballack with Essien OR Mikel - and they would work like a pair would in a 4-4-2. Lampard and Ballack are not creative attacking midfielders, they are central midfielders who can score a lot of goals.

David told me about that team from the Sun. I really don't think either Lampard or Ballack should be in the team ahead of Essien. Both of them are top class and were brilliant last season but Essien's consistency, drive and brilliance are key to our play regardless of what system we play.

David told me about that team from the Sun. I really don't think either Lampard or Ballack should be in the team ahead of Essien. Both of them are top class and were brilliant last season but Essien's consistency, drive and brilliance are key to our play regardless of what system we play.

Hard to argue with that! Essien has become an absolutely awesome player for us. With injuries and ammount of games in a season, plus the advanced ages of Lampard, Ballack (and possibly Deco) there will be enough games to go around.

I agree with what you're saying, but we have experienced players in Ballack, Lampard and Makelele, and young-yet-still-experienced stars in Essien in Mikel that can occupy the midfield positions, plus Ivanovic and Ferreira can provide emergency cover if its needed. Do we need more CMs?

Well, although I dont feel the need to crack open the Sherry, I think its a decent appointment. Its certainly a daring one anyway, Given the fact that the guy has never managed a club side in Europe and cant speak a word of English. He certainly has a reputation that people respect and I dont think he'll take any shit off the Govan one.

He can speak English: http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/sol/newsid_46...s=1&bbcws=1

Edited by .Biru

I agree with what you're saying, but we have experienced players in Ballack, Lampard and Makelele, and young-yet-still-experienced stars in Essien in Mikel that can occupy the midfield positions, plus Ivanovic and Ferreira can provide emergency cover if its needed. Do we need more CMs?

I don't think Ferreira and Ivanovic should be classed as midfield cover! Ideally we need 2 players for each position to ensure our squad is strong enough, which means (Assuming we are playing using 3 midifield positions) 6 squad players.. we have Lampard, Ballack, Essien and Mikel - Sidwell will not be around next season and it is very debateable how much Maka is going to play next season. So i would say there is room for definately 1 and possibly 2.

Personally i would have liked to have seen us sign some young talent in the 19 - 22 age bracket. And have 3 experienced players (Lampard, Ballack, Essien) and 3 younger players (Mikel, ???????, ??????)

Someone who would fit that bracket is Joao Moutinho.

Yes he would. Don't know too much about him! What type of midfielder is he? Don't know of many young creative players in the Kaka/Deco mould who we could pick up either.

Fantastic news imo.I can understand some people on here being sceptical about Scolari,but they'll soon come round to what an excellent,charasmatic manager he is.

Fair enough,this is his first job in Europe,but he has won South America's Champions League(twice),and trust me,the Copa Libatadores is no 'mickey mouse cup',and i'm sure had of Scolari taken a job in Europe before,say an AC Milan,Barca etc,he would of won the Champions League by now.

Scolari will also have pulling power in the transfer market,as his CV speaks for itself and players out there will want to work for him.

Scolari made Brazil into world champions,Scolari transformed the Portuguese national team from a pub team into one of the most feared international outfits in the world.

On this showing,what he can do at Chelsea knows no bounds.If the rest of the Premiership and Europe are not shaking in their boots,they should be.

When 'Big Phil' speaks,people listen.And that is English enough for me.

Yes he would. Don't know too much about him! What type of midfielder is he? Don't know of many young creative players in the Kaka/Deco mould who we could pick up either.

Moutinho is a deco type but he has defensive quality as well not as creative like deco though.

Luiz Felipe Scolari will demand that his Chelsea squad 'give everything' when he takes over at Stamford Bridge on 1st July.

Portugal boss Scolari was announced as Avram Grant's replacement on Wednesday with Chelsea confirming that he will take the reins after Euro 2008 has concluded.

And the Brazilian has already outlined what he expects from his players over the course of the 2008/09 season as he looks to mastermind a push for silverware.

Tough guy

"I have a reputation of being a tough guy, and that's why they call me Big Phil. What's wrong with that?" Scolari said in the Daily Star.

"I look after my players, they look after me. On the pitch, you must give everything and save nothing.

"I like aggression in players and those who love to impose themselves on games. Players have to be physically strong.

"Players must understand what I say and what I want. I will give them responsibility to sort things out on the pitch, but first they must prove to me they can handle that.

"No player must play for me if he cannot have the confidence to express himself."

Deco praise

Scolari also reserved praise for Barcelona attacking midfielder Deco - a player that has been tipped to leave Camp Nou over the summer.

"He is an individual player - talented but daring," said the World Cup winner. "It is easy to play football when you are daring. He dribbles and protects the ball and makes things happen.

"He is always expressing himself. There will be mistakes, but this I can excuse. Deco is not afraid."

Sky sport !

Moutinho would be an excellent addition to our squad.Everton were favourites to sign him,but the events of the past 36 hours has surely changed that.

Scolari could well be the man to unhinge Ferguson and Yahnited before a ball has even been kicked.

1:Scolari persuades Ronaldo to join Real Madrid NOW,not next season,rightfully saying to him "opourtunities don't come round like this very often","and they might not want you next season".Apparantley Scolari is a father figure to Ronaldo ever since his father passed away recentley.

2:With Scolari having the Chelsea job,the Portuguese FA will soon be asking Man Utd for permission to speak to Carlos Querioz with the view to succeeding Scolari as the Portuguese national coach.Querioz has always expressed his desire to manage his Country,and he might now not get a better chance to do so,especially if a certain Jose Mourinho is available in 2/3 years time.

Ferguson must be a very worried man right now as he stands to lose two of his most vital assets.

I told you Scolari will be a success :thumbsup: .

Edited by MikeCFC

A lot of interesting speculation in the papers today. Most of the papers seem to think Scolari favours a 4-2-3-1 formation, with the sun speculationg that our line up after transfers this season could be:

..................................Eto'o...................................

....Ronaldinho..............Deco.......................Villa......

................Lampard..................Ballack...................

A.Cole............Terry..............Carvalho.......Bosingwa

..................................Cech...................................

Not too shabby really?

There also seems to be a reccuring theme of Scolari wanting to make sure Lampard stays, which was thrown into some doubt when the constant Deco stories were comming out, but looking at the type of formation we could play it is easy to see how they can all work.

The more you read about Scolari the more you get excited about the prospect of him managing our team, he seems like the perfect man for the job at this time and lets hope he can bring everything that it looks like he can bring.

Thats a Ridiculous Formation. Villa the supposedly "BEST STRIKER" in europe at the moment on the Right wing?

Attacking midfielder Lampard playing deep in the midfield. Ballack looks fine there as he is more of a box to box type. If we are playing that formation, I would rather have Essien, ballack and Mikel for those 2 deep midfield roles. May be Deco and Lampard could be swapped for that role behind the striker. Ronaldinho and Joe Cole or Quaresma and Joe Cole on the wings. NO DAVID VILLA PLEASE!!!....One hatrick in EURO 2008 shouldnt lure a club into wasting 30 million pounds on him.