Filipe Luís

Jase

Should be starting EVERY match against smaller sides. He and Schürrle. Azpi and Willian are totally pointless against them.

Agree about Luis, but I would swap Schurrle and Willian. Willian does help against the smaller sides, and he was easily one of our better attackers last night. Schurrle on the other hand, is good when he runs into space and that's why he's done well against the likes of Bayern and City.

To be fair, Dave would be useful on the right wing. In his first season he had seven assists.

If he were playing on his correct side.

I'd absolutely love to see how we'd look at least once or twice this season with Filipe and Azpi as our two fullbacks.

The only way this transfer would have made sense is if Luis became our first-choice LB but he's not (he hasn't even been given an opportunity to try to settle down with a run of games). Mourinho spent 16m on a 29-year-old as a backup and that is a waste of resources. I thought we stopped making pointless transfers but clearly I was wrong about that.

I have already said it in the Azpi thread but I do think part of Mourinho's reasoning in buying Luis was to weaken Atletico, as they are (still) a big obstacle in the way of CL glory and Luis was a huge player for them. Otherwise would he really have spent £16m on a 29-year-old LB for back-up when he goes on about FFP so much? I feel really sorry for him as he is IMO our best FB and if he were stil at Atleti he'd be playing against the likes of Bale and Messi instead of whoever it is that plays RW for Bolton/Shrewsbury/Derby.

I have already said it in the Azpi thread but I do think part of Mourinho's reasoning in buying Luis was to weaken Atletico, as they are (still) a big obstacle in the way of CL glory and Luis was a huge player for them. Otherwise would he really have spent £16m on a 29-year-old LB for back-up when he goes on about FFP so much? I feel really sorry for him as he is IMO our best FB and if he were stil at Atleti he'd be playing against the likes of Bale and Messi instead of whoever it is that plays RW for Bolton/Shrewsbury/Derby.

Atletico are still one of the hardest teams to beat. Mourinho's gonna have to do more than just sign their best players to get past that hurdle.

I don't share this view.. It's a bit of strange conclusion to come to tbh. Mourinho's game is to make Chelsea stronger than the current opposition, he's not spiteful enough to sign just for the sake of weakening another side. We signed Letico players to improve us, not really to weaken them. Just like we did to Porto when Mourinho first arrived.

he's not spiteful enough to sign just for the sake of weakening another side.

I'm not saying that's the only reason but it could well have been part of the allure in signing him. Atletico are the only serious CL contender we can actually weaken with our fiancial power and as Paul Clement said Luis was arguably their most consistent and best player.

I can understand that Jose likes Azpi and considers him first-choice LB - I don't agree but I get it. What I don't understand, however, is Azpi starting 3 games in 8 days when we have a player of Luis' calibre fit and available for selection. The only way this transfer would have made sense is if Luis became our first-choice LB but he's not (he hasn't even been given an opportunity to try to settle down with a run of games). Mourinho spent 16m on a 29-year-old as a backup and that is a waste of resources. I thought we stopped making pointless transfers but clearly I was wrong about that.

Let's not kid ourselves, Luis was signed to be first choice but he has yet to perform at the level required to get that spot. In the matches he's played in the PL he's looked nowhere near as solid as Azpi and is bullied off the ball too easily. He's obviously struggling with the physicality of the league which is even obvious in what he says. I've heard him being asked several times about the difference between Spain and England and three of the answers that stuck with me are: "the physicality and intensity", "in England the players just don't give up" and "here the refs don't blow fouls that given in Spain."

Let's not kid ourselves, Luis was signed to be first choice but he has yet to perform at the level required to get that spot. In the matches he's played in the PL he's looked nowhere near as solid as Azpi and is bullied off the ball too easily. He's obviously struggling with the physicality of the league which is even obvious in what he says. I've heard him being asked several times about the difference between Spain and England and three of the answers that stuck with me are: "the physicality and intensity", "in England the players just don't give up" and "here the refs don't blow fouls that given in Spain."

Against Sunderland he could have handled it, they aren't great offensively. He has been great when he plays in the CL, he has to play to adjust to the PL, he's good enough to be given that opportunity.