Kurt Zouma

Mufassir08

He was one of our best players yesterday. Totally dominated Deeney. We should play him against every team that uses a big physical striker like Antonio, Deeney and Benteke etc. He's our best pure defender (1 on 1 and aerially)

Zouma is clearly the most dominant cb physically we have at the club but he seems to always get bamboozled against better opponents. Especially united.

Let's take the semi final as an example for which cb to play. In open play, Rudiger will probably make less mistakes and will pass out better. From set pieces zouma is clearly more agreesive in the air. No other cb compares.

Its a sign of our weaknesses that we will have to chop and change defenders based on whether the opponent are fast and direct or physical bullies. The top teams have a pairing that can contend with both types.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Has to play vs Palace. Their strikers, Benteke and Wickham are exactly the kind of challenge he relishes.Especially Benteke has the exact same height and build as Kurt with those huge legs, wide and strong core but relatively light arm/shoulder region which gives them more agility when they have to move the upper body for challenges in the air and keeping balance after a change of direction. One reason why Cahill always looks so suspect when people run towards him is that he is the antithesis to Zouma with weaker core and legs and lots of needless muscle mass on his upper body which makes him top heavy and clumsy on the turn.

9 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

These stats are telling and pretty much in line with our season. 

Rudi has been the worst of our CBs and yet somehow it's always AC, zouma or tomori who have been ridiculed or scape goated. 

These stats are telling and pretty much in line with our season. 
Rudi has been the worst of our CBs and yet somehow it's always AC, zouma or tomori who have been ridiculed or scape goated. 

I have said this many teams here. Zouma is our best defender and Rüdiger can't defend at all

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Jason said:

To give Zouma credit, he has done well in the last 2 games but pardon me for maybe being cynical, but teams like Watford and Palace suit his game style. I don't trust him at all against the more tricky, pacey kind of attackers.

Yeah, this is the problem. He looks great here but once you put him in against a City or any team that presses well he falls apart. He is kind of like the opposite of AC, where AC is a wimp, he is strong, where he cannot read the game, AC can etc, etc.

Last night I actually gave him MotM in the poll as I love nothing more than the type of tackle he put in on Benteke, however when watching the highlights, the only reason he had to do that was because of his positioning which allowed Benteke in. Further, for the first goal he really needs to be stepping out and closing Zaha down as he has Dave and AC in position either side of him. Kepa and James where obviously more at fault for that goal but Zouma did have some blame as he did look to go then for some reason decided not too. 

To give Zouma credit, he has done well in the last 2 games but pardon me for maybe being cynical, but teams like Watford and Palace suit his game style. I don't trust him at all against the more tricky, pacey kind of attackers.
He's always shit vs united as is christensen.

If we were just going on individual strengths I would play rudiger and tomori against united in the cup to cope with their speed.

Of course that's in the abstract. Given tomori's lack of game time he shouldn't be an option for that game.

So I'd go with zouma and rudiger for the cup final.

May as well play then together from here on out to continue to build understanding.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk