Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Looking at it now i still can't believe that out of all the teams we've had, THIS was the one that won it. I mean we had Bosingwa, Cahill and Luiz in defence with Mikel shielding them. Kalou and Berty on wings. Seriously, how did we pull it off?

Good Management & Heart & a bit of luck - Just remember the 2012 season will go down as Once in a Lifetime

Bertrand on joining Southampton..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2940247/Ryan-Bertrand-pleased-team-Southampton-seven-loan-spells.html

'I have really enjoyed my time here in the first half of the season and I'm delighted to make it permanent.

'Whether I'm on loan or permanent, I will give 100 per cent, no problem, but moving here gives me added incentive as well.

'Finally I can say this is my club and I'm proud to do that. The work starts here and I'm really looking forward to it.'

Bertrand hopes to be successful individually and with Saints.

'I want to keep progressing as a footballer,' he added.

Ouch!

If he couldn't make it here don't expect any of the others coming up to do so either.

I like Luis, but he was the epitome of an unnecessary buy.

Unnecessary buy? How the fuck was he an unnecessary buy.... Sorry but people were complaining about us playing Azpi at LB for near enough half the season, so how was signing the best LB in Europe from the last 2 seasons unnecessary?

Left back was one of the places we needed to strengthen due to Azpilicueta's limited attacking play on that side along with a central midfielder and a center forward.

Seriously some people are never happy are they? Sure Bertrand was a decent player but he would never reach the level to be a regular here and I've said it numerous times. He wasn't even better than Cole who many considered to have seriously declined although he still managed to put in top performances when needed.

If he couldn't make it here don't expect any of the others coming up to do so either.

I like Luis, but he was the epitome of an unnecessary buy.

Unnecessary buy? How the fuck was he an unnecessary buy.... Sorry but people were complaining about us playing Azpi at LB for near enough half the season, so how was signing the best LB in Europe from the last 2 seasons unnecessary?

Left back was one of the places we needed to strengthen due to Azpilicueta's limited attacking play on that side along with a central midfielder and a center forward.

Seriously some people are never happy are they? Sure Bertrand was a decent player but he would never reach the level to be a regular here and I've said it numerous times. He wasn't even better than Cole who many considered to have seriously declined although he still managed to put in top performances when needed.

EVEN IF Bertrand was not Chelsea material (he clearly is, he's in a 4th placed team going for CL places), Luis was a short sighted buy. He's 29, he's only 4 years younger than Ash - We should have too Bertrand up or brought someone younger.

Even the best LB in the world simply isn't displacing Azpi anyway - £20m of bench material, now, Betrand was certainly good enough for that role at the very least.

EVEN IF Bertrand was not Chelsea material (he clearly is, he's in a 4th placed team going for CL places), Luis was a short sighted buy. He's 29, he's only 4 years younger than Ash - We should have too Bertrand up or brought someone younger.

Even the best LB in the world simply isn't displacing Azpi anyway - £20m of bench material, now, Betrand was certainly good enough for that role at the very least.

The long term thing is such an overrated thing in football.

If goes well we will get 3-4 years out of Luis which is actually a very long time, think Moscow to Munich.

• 1 month later...

Big big weekend for the lad.

I completely forgot Southampton bought him.. It was only a few weeks ago when we played in Southampton and he was unavailable.

I like Ryan a lot but now I'm hoping for a good performance from Cuadrado instead.

I completely forgot Southampton bought him.. It was only a few weeks ago when we played in Southampton and he was unavailable.

I like Ryan a lot but now I'm hoping for a good performance from Cuadrado instead.

Will be an interesting battle for sure.

I still think Southampton, with Clyne and Bertrand, have two of the more steady starting fullbacks in the league.

Bertrand has already improved a lot at Southampton. He was never given a proper chance under Mourinho. Not even a sniff.

Rightly so. He was never going to be a first team player. That's what he wanted and what he has got.

I agree with blooding youth, but when it's abundantly clear they will never be a starter its pointless.