Stop fixating on the midfield. [Our needs are at the back].

Forgive me as I had miss filed this. I had wanted to start this topic as I'd become weary of people discussing the alphabet needs of our team in midfield. We don't need another bloody forward we need someone to replace JT. Someone who will take over from him and for godsake give us some stability in that position who will then give confidence and steadiness to the back four. All this desire for a CDM, AND THE REST OF THE BLOODY ALPHABET IN MIDFIELD IS PANTS if the back four are not a solid unit. I've suffered for my football following Chelsea since 1965. The manager cannot be responsible for the way the lads as individuals respond to a goal being scored against them. It should be bloody personal if someone scores against us. It used to be. Fortress Stamford Bridge my arse...Defence is where we should be looking to bolster not midfield. I did hope that The Legend that is Frank might adopt a role rather like Claude Makelele in his twilight years but Roman has got it in for him big time. That is the real position that needs filling and no-one seems to be available who is good enough.. Rafa is just another symptom of what is wrong at the Bridge at the moment, not the cause....

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a point BC. 'Always start at the back' was a football mantra that has been around for a long time and still stands up today.

The rousing and cajoling by old JT cant be underestimated, and that psychological steel is like having 5 at the back

You're right about the need to tighten up at the back. After years of Terry, Carvalho, and Dessaily, we've become used to having top notch centre-backs and while we have a few good ones, we don't have anyone at that level right now. To me, the reason why central midfield is such a priority right now, is that we simply don't have the numbers. We have Lampard and Ramires and neither are even great fits there. It's a more immediate need.

Even though many careless mistakes were made by the defense, Chelsea needs much better midfield. Players who can come to pick & move with the ball forward. That way, the defense stays back instead of carrying the ball forward & being out of position most of the times.

For me, our actual back line isn't actually that bad when everyone is fit and playing.

Cech (One of the best in the world)

Azpi (Extremely talented, one of our best players this season) Ivan (Not been great in recent games but is a very solid defender and has been for a while) JT (Our best defender still imo, with the best captaincy skills in the prem BAR NONE) Cole (Not as good as he has been in previous seasons, but there are very few better Left backs in the world).

Holding midfield is where the problems lie, and we have never fully replaced claude makele who done so much for us in his position.

We need both, it is not a matter of fixing the midfield or defence, we need to fix it all.

We need a DM (Ganalons) and a CM (Moutinho) for the pivot, it is embarassing the amount of quality and options we have in midfield. However, we do need to find a JT replacement (Hummels), we need a really top CB with leadership, things like Reading must never ever happen again!

Aaaah, we also need a versatile Winger (Gaitan) and a top, top ST (Falcao/Cavani), but that is another discussion.

I am only trying to say we need a lot of stuff, it is not about choosing one or the other.

P.S: The names are only suggestion and personal taste...

For me, our actual back line isn't actually that bad when everyone is fit and playing.

Cech (One of the best in the world)

Azpi (Extremely talented, one of our best players this season) Ivan (Not been great in recent games but is a very solid defender and has been for a while) JT (Our best defender still imo, with the best captaincy skills in the prem BAR NONE) Cole (Not as good as he has been in previous seasons, but there are very few better Left backs in the world).

Holding midfield is where the problems lie, and we have never fully replaced claude makele who done so much for us in his position.

I agree with you regarding the strength of the back four, but they've hardly played together as a unit this season therefore we must be looking to strengthen there. JT is and has been a rock like Desailly and other great center backs but we do need to be looking for an upgrade across the line as we are aging....

My question is how are we supposed to ignore issues in midfield when it's egregiously apparent that our team, in the midfield, crumbles under pressure from opposition (including lower level opposition)? Throughout the past few seasons we've shown an inability to control the tempo of games when we want, and this has resulted in, in my opinion, other teams dominating us on the ball and dictating the terms and tempo of the match.

It's true that, looking at the long term we're going to have to make sure we have a solid back four and I think you'll find opinions across the spectrum on the current quality of our back four (I think we're fine, but we don't maintain intensity like we should). However, it's hard for me to overlook our inability to control the ball under pressure.

Our defense is leaky at the moment because our midfield and forward line has become considerably weaker in that department. Believe me when I say that if we still had players in the mould of Makelele, Essien and Ballack destroying the midfield, we'd have no such problems with our current defensive line-up. Our lot in the middle and up front simply get overrun. We need Mikel back badly, and we need to sort out the position next to him if we're going to persist with this fucking 4-2-3-1. It would also help if our bunch of playmakers would be stronger and more aggressive and defensively more aware of things.

Exactly why I promoted the idea of Frank taking on the Makelele role, shielding the back four and from there distributing the ball forwards in the Stevie Kember style.

I really wish Frank could just take on the Makelele role, but he isn't suited for it. Against teams who park the bus, absolutely put Frank in as CDM. But I think it's unfair to both Frank and Claude to expect him to take on the (soon-to-be Mikel) role :Goober:, and perform at a high level.

Although what you said is true, midfield is still the main priority, we literally have no midfielders at all, not even any for the future. At least in defence we have the likes of Cahill, JT (he can still get the job done for the time being), Luiz (at times) and Ivanovic.

First of all, going after one thing doesnt mean you cannot go after a second one aswell. Building a team is a constant process, and a pretty complicated and long-term one.

While we need someone to replace JT in the near future, our immidiate need is a midfielder (more than one actually). You have to prioritize. At this very moment we do have JT, Cahill, Luiz and even Iva who can play centrally. So, for the time being we are covered as far as the CB position is concerned. With that said, it doesnt mean that we should scout for another signing like Cahill. But as Ive said, at this very moment what we need is not a striker, not a CB but a midfielder. And anyone who can analyze a game will come to that conclusion. We are fine at the back, we are mostly fine in the attack aswell but there is a gap to fill in between. The linkup play is totally shit.

We have very good cb's in cahill,ivanovic and terry but we dont have a world class center back like the younger terry,carvalho,alex,desailly etc.I think we need 1 world class center back who can be partnered with our current cb's.My choice would be subotic.