UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

daretodemba.jpg

Nobody wants to face us. Mourinho knows the intricacies of most the Real Madrid players he has had to compensate for their flaws and manage them, surely that's more of an advantage than the players seeking revenge. One can say that Ancelotti knows this team only a little but because things have changed. Atletico will be playing with a rusty keeper and most likely missing Arda Turan who is fantastic. Bayern play a brand of football to which Mourinho is their kyrptonite, if we get them Pep knows he needs to change his system a little bit. We have a charismatic bunch (bar Torres) that will bleed for a win when we need it.

Agree with this. Ancelotti knows Lamps, JT, Cech, Cole, Ivanovic, Luiz, Ramires - few of those won't play anyway.

Jose knows the whole Madrid team bar Isco, Bale & Illaramendi (not sure of spelling)

Plus I think the whole "revenge" thing has been twisted a lot. I rewatched highlights of the game in pre season and he spoke with Coentrao & Alonso after the game, Ronaldo was reported saying he had forgiven him and there was never anything big. Think it is Pepe who still criticises him sometimes though.

I'd rather face Bayern. I hate them, plus I'd get to see Gotze play, who is awesome.

For me he has regressed this year. Yesterday as soon as he gone off Bayern actually started to play really well too. Sure he is still a great player but his influence is no where near the same as at Dortmund.

Anyone know what time is the draw?

11AM UK time so mid-day most of country in Europe.

For me he has regressed this year. Yesterday as soon as he gone off Bayern actually started to play really well too. Sure he is still a great player but his influence is no where near the same as at Dortmund.

Me too, it's a shame. But that's to be expected, no? New system, new coach, teammates, team. He's young and is on a team with Ribery, Robben, Schweinsteiger, Muller. It's hard to adapt quickly. I stopped watching when he came off, but he'll improve.

Why do people keep bringing this up like we're awesome going forward?

We are a very good counter-attacking team, nobody can argue with that and RM do seems to struggle when they are pressured high-up the pitch, something we do very well.

BBC is another thing but here too, I think that we can keep them quiet at the Bridge and Ronaldo is out for the 1st leg. So Real Madrid + 1st leg at the Bernabéu, and we could go to Lisbon.

We're not, but we can score. It's quite simple. We can keep them out, but they can't do the same. Logic!

We're not, but we can score. It's quite simple. We can keep them out, but they can't do the same. Logic!

We are a very good counter-attacking team, nobody can argue with that and RM do seems to struggle when they are pressured high-up the pitch, something we do very well.

BBC is another thing but here too, I think that we can keep them quiet at the Bridge and Ronaldo is out for the 1st leg. So Real Madrid + 1st leg at the Bernabéu, and we could go to Lisbon.

People are massively underrating this Real side IMO... So what if Ronaldo is out?

A front four of Benzema, Di Maria, Bale and Isco is still brilliant.

Real have been shaky for a few weeks and suddenly people forget that they recently went on a 30+ unbeaten streak.

Our high press would work the best on Bayern. Real are not a possession based side first and foremost, in fact they're a counter attacking side at heart.

People are forgetting that an on form Real beat Atletico Madrid who play very similar to us, 5-0 on aggregate in the cup.

Maybe we're not City-esque going forward, but what do you expect? we have no striker. The fact is on the break we're good, so few teams go out all attack against us in the league apart from City and Arsenal, but look how dangerous we looked in those matches. PSG never went full out attack either, at home they were playing rather safe and at the bridge they were poor.

Real Madrid will attack, look at the game against Barcelona, they didn't play on the counter like last year under Mourinho, they went for it and should of won. Barcelona won mainly from Real' poor defending. At the back they take risks, Ramos for me isn't a center back, he's the biggest liability and it's a joke he's in the world eleven. We need to defend deep and counter with pace against Bayern and Real, they have obvious weaknesses we can exploit. They are made for us and especially Jose Mourinho.

Atletico are different, they're not expected to go out all attack like Real or Bayern, even at home. If Real drop deep and defend at home the fans will be on their backs, it's not the same for Atleti. IMO they will get to the final, they are so well balanced it's unreal.

People are massively underrating this Real side IMO... So what if Ronaldo is out?

Real have been shaky for a few weeks and suddenly people forget that they recently went on a 30+ unbeaten streak.

Our high press would work the best on Bayern. Real are not a possession based side first and foremost, in fact they're a counter attacking side at heart.

People are forgetting that an on form Real beat Atletico Madrid who play very similar to us, 5-0 on aggregate in the cup.

Did you watch them last night?

They lost to a side that had been beaten AT HOME by Zenit. If you stop Ronaldo, you stop RM. It has always been the same.

Well, to have the best player in the world out for a match is a blow. Yep, that's a very good front four, i'm not denying that.

The facts are that they don't do well against teams who press them high-up the pitch (At.Madrid, Athletic Bilbao, Barcelona, Dortmund,...), the Pepe-Ramos partnership is a joke, Carvajal and Marcelo aren't know for theirs defensive ability and against the top five they took 7 pts/24.

BBC and their midfield are the threats but I'm 100% sure that Oscar could keep a Xabi Alonso out of the game, Luiz can outmuscle Modric and so on...

I'm not saying that if we face each other we are going to beat them but we certainly can.

And we can't forget that José know them very well.

Maybe we're not City-esque going forward, but what do you expect? we have no striker. The fact is on the break we're good, so few teams go out all attack against us in the league apart from City and Arsenal, but look how dangerous we looked in those matches. PSG never went full out attack either, at home they were playing rather safe and at the bridge they were poor.

Real Madrid will attack, look at the game against Barcelona, they didn't play on the counter like last year under Mourinho, they went for it and should of won. Barcelona won mainly from Real' poor defending. At the back they take risks, Ramos for me isn't a center back, he's the biggest liability and it's a joke he's in the world eleven. We need to defend deep and counter with pace against Bayern and Real, they have obvious weaknesses we can exploit. They are made for us and especially Jose Mourinho.

Atletico are different, they're not expected to go out all attack like Real or Bayern, even at home. If Real drop deep and defend at home the fans will be on their backs, it's not the same for Atleti. IMO they will get to the final, they are so well balanced it's unreal.

It's not as black and white as some of you are trying to make it out to be though... Yes Real aren't beastly at the back but to basically ignore their strike force is illogical IMO.

They don't play like Bayern or Barca, they're more of a counter attacking team that's all about speed in their transition game so I really don't get how people think our strategy suit them the most.

You bring up the Barcelona game - we don't play like Barcelona and don't have their offensive power so that's irrelevant and as you rightly pointed out, they should've easily put that game to bed but they weren't as clinical as they should be.

Let's take a team that has a similar play style to us and look at their results vs Real; Atletico Madrid:

Real 0 - 1 Atletico

Real 3 - 0 Atletico

Atletico 0 - 2 Atletico

Atletico 2 - 2 Madrid

As you can see, Atletico, a team very similar to us in how they play, have struggled in general to get results against Real. You should use them as a yardstick, not PSG or Barcelona.

Now I'm not saying we can't beat them, of course we can, but people are massively underrating them and ignoring other aspects of their game because they've been shaky in a few games this season at the back; which is goes back to my initial point - yes, they're shaky at the back but we aren't exactly the greatest at going forward either, so I really don't know why people are trying to act like it's some sort of massive advantage for us as if we've consistently raped vulnerable defences this year.

Did you watch them last night?

They lost to a side that had been beaten AT HOME by Zenit. If you stop Ronaldo, you stop RM. It has always been the same.

This is bollocks mate, sorry. Did you watch them in the previous leg? You can't ignore quality players like Bale, Di Maria, Benzema and Isco. It's one game.