Physical & Mental health

Leif

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone here had any experiences in the past with lateral collateral ligament injuries? Seriously suffering, think the ligament may have been torn or ruptured.

Haven't had it myself but out of curiosity - how long have you had it and what have you treated it with?

Only started in the last 24 hours, but some serious swelling and some pain as well. Very tender to the touch.

Have treated it with hold/cold compression, electrodes and have worn a knee brace at work today.

Been going to the gym on and off for like 2 years now .. maintained OK body physicue but really want to take it a step further and really get that body that I always wanted.

I'm 17 years old, 6"2, 150lbs (68 kg) pretty skinny.

My main goal now would be to gain weight basicaly, have been struggling to do so before, hopefuly I'll be able to do it this time around.

Planning on starting after my math final, when I'll finally have enough free time to commit to it.

Only started in the last 24 hours, but some serious swelling and some pain as well. Very tender to the touch.

Have treated it with hold/cold compression, electrodes and have worn a knee brace at work today.

Go to the doctor, if it is torn or ruptured you need to know. Are you taking an pain medicine with an anti-inflammatory in it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

These kind of things get worse by the day initially, but after 3-4 days it will start to heal. If it is a bad stretch then it should totally subside in 2-4 weeks, just keep doing R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Don't mean to be blunt, but if you can walk, then it hopefully isn't a torn ligament - if it is, then only real option is surgery.

Been going to the gym on and off for like 2 years now .. maintained OK body physicue but really want to take it a step further and really get that body that I always wanted.

I'm 17 years old, 6"2, 150lbs (68 kg) pretty skinny.

My main goal now would be to gain weight basicaly, have been struggling to do so before, hopefuly I'll be able to do it this time around.

Planning on starting after my math final, when I'll finally have enough free time to commit to it.

Your BMI is a bit under 20 so it's in the normal range, but on a light side. I think you already know what to do - eat a lot more, go to the gym regularly without neglecting your cardiovascular health and do the RIGHT exercises. Dumbell curls and so on will make one feel more of a man, but they do nothing but add a bit of size and shape the muscle - it's an isolation exercise and you can't shape something that is not there yet. Concentrate on bench press, squat, deadlift etc - the compound movements that work different muscles groups at the same time.

Best of luck

Your BMI is a bit under 20 so it's in the normal range, but on a light side. I think you already know what to do - eat a lot more, go to the gym regularly without neglecting your cardiovascular health and do the RIGHT exercises. Dumbell curls and so on will make one feel more of a man, but they do nothing but add a bit of size and shape the muscle - it's an isolation exercise and you can't shape something that is not there yet. Concentrate on bench press, squat, deadlift etc - the compound movements that work different muscles groups at the same time.

Best of luck

Yep, I know that, thank you anyways!

The problem though is that I have a back illness that pretty much prevents me from doing all the back pressuring exercises. Which means things like Deadlift are pretty much off the limit. It is a pretty light situation of the illness bit still I wouldn't want to risk it.

Also eating a lot is a problem of mine.. its not that I CANT, it's just that there isn't always so much food available and I get lazy so I dont make any usually. And ofc there's school and everything in the way.. that's why I'm gonna start like a month from now, after my finals.

Thanks again!

Go to the doctor, if it is torn or ruptured you need to know. Are you taking an pain medicine with an anti-inflammatory in it? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just taking normal pain-killers at the minute. Will see how it is tomorrow, and if necessary I'll see a doctor.

These kind of things get worse by the day initially, but after 3-4 days it will start to heal. If it is a bad stretch then it should totally subside in 2-4 weeks, just keep doing R.I.C.E - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Don't mean to be blunt, but if you can walk, then it hopefully isn't a torn ligament - if it is, then only real option is surgery.

Yeah, thankfully, I can walk. Just must have been seriously strained, perhaps by the knee bending unnaturally. I'll survive!

Thanks for the help guys.

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to update this! so i was around 66kg a couple of weeks ago. im now 64kg. so as you can tell i opted for the lose the fat option!

Its been really good im visually losing a lot of fat and im maintaining my muscle (although it looks lke im gaining! but thats porb due to it being more visible). it's been quite easy as well, all ive been doing for the past 2 weeks is play football, tennis and golf. yesterday i played tennis for 5 hours straight. today i played 2 hours of tennis and an hour in the gym. and between all this im looking after 2 different dogs so im doing lots of walks its quite tiring, as im trying not to over eat as well.

when it comes to the gym, im not doing a bog standard weight session anymore. its all supersets and high reps with short rests. its pretty tiring but really gets you in a sweat as well as working the muscles. so im feeling pretty good at the moment!

ive only got one problem and thats that i cracked/badly bruised my knee cap a few weeks ago. for about 4 or 5 days i couldnt really bend it. and it hurt when i ran on it. nothing too bad, its a pain i can easily ignore, it only really hurts if i bend my knee a lot. i rested it, and i dont do any weights on my legs at the moment. but its still there a bit. its ok to bend at the moment, its just about 1 hour after tennis/football it cna get a bit stiff. then another hour passes and its ok.

hope everyone is well!

Haven't really posted in this thread as i have always kinda stayed away, but anyway here goes. :) Over the last year i have been trying to lose weight, as i just got to the point where i wanted to do something about it rather than accept being the "larger guy".

Last summer i weighed 17.2 stone. (238lbs-108kg). Got an excercise bike, cut down my drinking (That was hard :D) and portion sizes (wasn't eating much bad food at all really, but was justing having really large portions). I started off doing just 5k a day, 7 days a week and was surprised by how easy i started to lose weight early on. Going from minimal excersise to regular exercise, really makes something happen. I then slowly progressed to buying weights. Even got a rowing machine. (The reason for buying the equipment rather than going to the gym, is simply i had no excuses then, with the equipment being 20ft away. At first i would probably have just given up if i had to go to the gym regularly as i was very self conscious). More recently i have bought a proper set of weights and kettle bell and started doing a lot more weight training as opposed to mainly cardio.

Now i weigh 12.10 stone (178lbs-80kg). I'm just under 6ft1, and am pretty happy with my progression, considering this time last year i was completely different, and kinda proud of myself that i could do it.

Still want to burn some more fat off, and lose some more wight and then start building some muscle up. Regularly play golf which is quite good cardio on top of bike work, but lots of weight work is the aim. Mainly focusing on upper body at the moment. Have a bench though so i might start incorportating more of a vareity.

Only negative is that i bought my chelsea shirt last year in xxl, and i haven't been able to wear it without it looking like a dress as i am now a medium/large. :D

You've lost over 4 stone? Fucking teach me, please. I'm pretty stocky/muscular, but got a bit of a belly. Legs/arms etc. are just pure muscle, but the stomach area is like a layer of flubber :lol:

I dont think I am suited to helping you as pretty much just started doing my thing and it worked, not really close to being very knowledgeable in this area.

All I can say from personal experience is less exercise but very regularly seemed to work better than just occasionally but for longer.

And food wise, just really cut down, and replace any chocolate type snacks with fruit etc.

And the only other thing I found is, I burned fat faster if I did weights before cardio, rather than the other way round. I was confused by this, and apparently it's because it boosts the metabolism beforehand making cardio more effective.

Probably fairly obvious and not much help, but just my own experience. I am sure there are some qualified fitness people around who would know much more about this sort of thing. :)

Haven't really posted in this thread as i have always kinda stayed away, but anyway here goes. :) Over the last year i have been trying to lose weight, as i just got to the point where i wanted to do something about it rather than accept being the "larger guy".

Last summer i weighed 17.2 stone. (238lbs-108kg). Got an excercise bike, cut down my drinking (That was hard :D) and portion sizes (wasn't eating much bad food at all really, but was justing having really large portions). I started off doing just 5k a day, 7 days a week and was surprised by how easy i started to lose weight early on. Going from minimal excersise to regular exercise, really makes something happen. I then slowly progressed to buying weights. Even got a rowing machine. (The reason for buying the equipment rather than going to the gym, is simply i had no excuses then, with the equipment being 20ft away. At first i would probably have just given up if i had to go to the gym regularly as i was very self conscious). More recently i have bought a proper set of weights and kettle bell and started doing a lot more weight training as opposed to mainly cardio.

Now i weigh 12.10 stone (178lbs-80kg). I'm just under 6ft1, and am pretty happy with my progression, considering this time last year i was completely different, and kinda proud of myself that i could do it.

Still want to burn some more fat off, and lose some more wight and then start building some muscle up. Regularly play golf which is quite good cardio on top of bike work, but lots of weight work is the aim. Mainly focusing on upper body at the moment. Have a bench though so i might start incorportating more of a vareity.

Only negative is that i bought my chelsea shirt last year in xxl, and i haven't been able to wear it without it looking like a dress as i am now a medium/large. :D

That's great man ! you should be proud of yourself.

I'm actually trying to gain weight and "bulk up" as they say, since I'm 6"2 and only weigh like 150lbs (I'm 17 years old btw).

That's great man ! you should be proud of yourself.

I'm actually trying to gain weight and "bulk up" as they say, since I'm 6"2 and only weigh like 150lbs (I'm 17 years old btw).

Thanks mate. :) And yeah 150 pounds is light for someone who is 6 2. Good luck with your fitness regime. :)

im 6ft 4 and only about 165 at 16. i feel like i need to get bigger as i plan to join royal navy reserves soon and become a firefighter when i turn 18. i have some lean muscle and im quite strong but its just my arms that are small. anyone got any tips for growing arms?

im 6ft 4 and only about 165 at 16. i feel like i need to get bigger as i plan to join royal navy reserves soon and become a firefighter when i turn 18. i have some lean muscle and im quite strong but its just my arms that are small. anyone got any tips for growing arms?

Like with any muscle it needs nutrients (hypertrohpy). There is no way in seven hells a normal person with relatively small knowledge can grow muscle and not gain fat in the same time - called bulking. Eat more, do the exercises that matter - compound exercises. Biceps curls won't do much if you haven't developed anything yet. Pull ups, push ups, bench press, occasional curls to stimulate the fibers in a different way. That's the big secret really. :) Plus you are young, when you become older (18-21 depends when your puberty ends) your metabolism will become slightly slower and your body will be developed into a grown up one. There is a reason why most teenagers are very thin - biology. There's also your height - you're a tall lad and still growing(?) so 2kgs of muscle on you will not be as VISUAL as for a shorter boy or man.

Number one thing in training (and in life) is that if you want to succeed you need to be consistent and show up - work out regularly and don't make excuses. @Hutcho's story is a great example.

Btw Hutcho, the funny thing is that as soon as you become lean and have a normal fat percentage most probably you will want to gain muscle and gain weight. But it will be good weight that will be beneficial for you. Never ending circle really.

Good luck to both of you!