Physical & Mental health

Leif

soreness is quite a major part of my dissertation so ive read so much research on it, and ive tried most methods (conventional ones... im not jumping in a bath of ice cold water thank you very much!) and i have noticed it can reduce it and speed up the recovery so it doesnt last as long, but you can never eliminate it. and even then, there are some sessions where i really push myself, and i get full on 100% muscle soreness even if im doing everything to avoid it.

Things i do to reduce it: drink berry juices daily - cherry, blackcurrents, cranberry... stuff with anti-oxidants in, they really do help. I also wear a compression garment during and after exercise. the research shows wearing a compression garment for 12+ hours after is best, but im not going to sit around all day in compression clothing! so i wear it during and for an hour or so after. I consume a very sugary drink as soon as possible after a work out and also try to eat something with at least 10g of protein in asap. those are the things i tend to do based on what ive had to read in the research but to be honest these are just things to stop you from being sore for ages! the rule i follow is to not exercise the same muscle without a 2 day gap in between. even though i may be a bit sore on th third day still, i know for a fact im good to go, ive been fortunate enough to test myself in terms of soreness, strength and power after muscle damage to know im pretty much back to normal after 2 days rest.

I also stretch. it does nothing, but it eliminates pain short term. same with exercise. the best way to get rid of muscle soreness is just to exercise! but then as soon as you stop it comes back but a stretch helps if you are in a fair bit of discomfort.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First swim in a year.... My arms are aching

Wish I could say that, stable -5 (daytime) to -20 (nighttime) here... though the sun already feels warm, love it! One of the reasons I envy places like Spain, Brazil and so on, year out relatively nice weather

Back from the gym, kickass workout... on last exercise barely managed supersets, feels great! One thing that I hate in gyms are so called dick-gazers, just staring and staring - you work at the gym not watch others, or? :)

Wish I could say that, stable -5 (daytime) to -20 (nighttime) here... though the sun already feels warm, love it! One of the reasons I envy places like Spain, Brazil and so on, year out relatively nice weather

Last year, Sao Paulo's winter made 3 degrees, it was the coldest winter of the last 40 years...

Last year, Sao Paulo's winter made 3 degrees, it was the coldest winter of the last 40 years...

3 degrees right now in Estonia would feel like summer because we've had this -5...-10 (daytime) and -15...-25 (nightime) since start-mid December pretty much... so thats 4 months of winter already plus counting

Back from the gym, kickass workout... on last exercise barely managed supersets, feels great! One thing that I hate in gyms are so called dick-gazers, just staring and staring - you work at the gym not watch others, or? :)

I live in NYC. It's freezing here!! lol

Haha, at "dick glazers," when I use to go to the gym I use to try to one up the guy next to me, whether it be curls or plain dumbelll lifts... Than I started to get fat and did that to females since they all they did was cardio machines all day long.....

Just had a fry up... well, without frying anything apart from the egg & black pudding. Beans, 1 square sausage (grilled), 1 egg (fried), 1 black pudding (fried) and (oddly perhaps), broccoli.

590 calories.

33g Protein.

Still got around 800 calories to play with for the rest of the day. Heh.

Just had a fry up... well, without frying anything apart from the egg & black pudding. Beans, 1 square sausage (grilled), 1 egg (fried), 1 black pudding (fried) and (oddly perhaps), broccoli.

590 calories.

33g Protein.

Still got around 800 calories to play with for the rest of the day. Heh.

I haven't eaten meat (dark or white) since Lent began....... LOL

anyone ever taken a nitrate supplement? Im on one at the moment and its disgusting. i know beetroot and rhubarb are where they commonly extract it from.... it tastes horrible. i threw up in my own mouth this morning when taking it.

my ass is on fire as well. Im constantly farting and they smell horrific. and my piss smells just like the stuff Im taking. anyone else get those side effects? just farted right now...y up that's AIDS in the form of smell. Christ.

anyone ever taken a nitrate supplement? Im on one at the moment and its disgusting. i know beetroot and rhubarb are where they commonly extract it from.... it tastes horrible. i threw up in my own mouth this morning when taking it. my ass is on fire as well. Im constantly farting and they smell horrific. and my piss smells just like the stuff Im taking. anyone else get those side effects? just farted right now...y up that's AIDS in the form of smell. Christ.

hahaha, I personally haven't taken it. Only things I take are portein powder and creatine monohydrate. Work very well. Hope you're back to normal soon though!! :D

Donated blood today (in total I've only done it 4 times, started last year), doing it again in 2 months and so on and so on :)

anyone ever taken a nitrate supplement? Im on one at the moment and its disgusting. i know beetroot and rhubarb are where they commonly extract it from.... it tastes horrible. i threw up in my own mouth this morning when taking it. my ass is on fire as well. Im constantly farting and they smell horrific. and my piss smells just like the stuff Im taking. anyone else get those side effects? just farted right now...y up that's AIDS in the form of smell. Christ.

Why'd you take it if it brings so many woes with it? Feel sorry for you mate, but the way your wrote this made me laugh in a good way! :D Brings back memories from the army and its standard NATO packages. After eating the whole package, my urine was green and had the smell of artificial preservatives.

Help

I seem to have stopped my weight loss. It's not coming off. Stuck at 152lb again. 5'4" is my height. I believe my ideal weight is around 135lbs.

I'm trying to figure out how many calories I'm supposed to be consuming. I assume I'm supposed to be eating at a calorie deficit, yes?

I used one of those calorie calculators and I'm currently eating with zig-zag calories meaning I eat the same total amount each week (while keeping a deficit) but eat a different amount each day. This is apparently only suitable if I exercise 3 times a week. Am I supposed to do that exercise on the higher calorie days while limiting exercise on the low calories days such as Tuesday/Friday? I don't get it. Here's the calorie chart (I'm following the "Fat Loss" column):

f3osUtA.png

Am I perhaps not burning enough on the days I am exercising? I remember hearing lots of times before than 1lb a week of fat loss is considered good - but I don't seem to be managing even a fraction of that.

Why'd you take it if it brings so many woes with it? Feel sorry for you mate, but the way your wrote this made me laugh in a good way! :D Brings back memories from the army and its standard NATO packages. After eating the whole package, my urine was green and had the smell of artificial preservatives.

At my uni they are doing research on a variety of supplements, (creatine, anti-oxidants or nitrate) the easiest exercise protocol was the nitrate one so i volunteered for that one!

got 2 take 2 gel packs a day from monday - wednesday, then just one 1 hour before i do the exercise protocol on thursday. It really is horrific. They sell beetroot shots which gives you more nitrate, tastes bad, but it goes down easier. this gel is just really hard to swallow fast.

Nitrate dilates your blood vessels more, so in theory, when you exercise more blood goes there and therefore more oxygen is available to the muscle - helps endurance athletes mostly, i think it can also help in intermittent stuff as it helps with the brief recovery. it also attempts creating world war three at your ass. I've done smelly farts before, but not consistently like this. ever since about 7pm yesterday every fart i have done has been a nightmare. every single one. id say im parping at least once every half an hour. in its peak im guffing once every 5 minutes.

It is funny and i can literally run up to a mate, drop it and run. and i do enjoy that aspect of it. but then theres times when im sat in a lecture and my belly is making all sorts of noises because im holding it all in. Also ive had to open a window in my house because it literally smells like the sewers in here.

Welldone to metsaj for donating blood. Im yet to do it. scares me! but i think i will eventually get round to doing it.

Oh that urine story you told, that reminds me. Last year we did a little study involving urine. so we all walked in and were given lots of different dirnks. at the end of hte session we all pissed in a cup and measured out hydration on those urine charts. One guy had bright blue wee. ive forgotten the name of it, but for a joke they had a bottle which had this stuff in that just makes your wee go bright blue. he was a bit scared till he realised they'd just given him a dodgy drink.

Help

I seem to have stopped my weight loss. It's not coming off. Stuck at 152lb again. 5'4" is my height. I believe my ideal weight is around 135lbs.

I'm trying to figure out how many calories I'm supposed to be consuming. I assume I'm supposed to be eating at a calorie deficit, yes?

I used one of those calorie calculators and I'm currently eating with zig-zag calories meaning I eat the same total amount each week (while keeping a deficit) but eat a different amount each day. This is apparently only suitable if I exercise 3 times a week. Am I supposed to do that exercise on the higher calorie days while limiting exercise on the low calories days such as Tuesday/Friday? I don't get it. Here's the calorie chart (I'm following the "Fat Loss" column):

f3osUtA.png

Am I perhaps not burning enough on the days I am exercising? I remember hearing lots of times before than 1lb a week of fat loss is considered good - but I don't seem to be managing even a fraction of that.

that 1700 is about right. maybe even lower.

Ive never heard of this zig zag method. i dont know wether its one of those websites trying to sell you something, or if is a tip someone has managed to have success with but at the end ofh te day, if you consume less than you spend in terms of kcal, then youre going to lose weight.

The most common problem is mis counting calories. and its not your fault, sometimes oyu just forget, or sometimes the packet lies (which is scarily quite common!). You seem to have been doing really well on this so just try and keep it up. maybe increase the frequency of your exercise now, maybe even drop another 100kcal to 1600 a day instead (that seems quite low though).

Be sure you havent started to change eating habbits. like eating before bed. i know you can get groggy when only having 1700 kcal and it may be tempting to satisfy your hunger before you sleep. but you really wnat to avoid eating late in the evenings.

My advice would be, to think back to when you were losing your weight a few weeks ago, and try and identify anythign you are doing differently now that may be slowing down the process.

but my advice would be to pick up an extra session of exercise if you can. it will really help.

dont let this stumble scare you though, it could be down to something simple and irrelevant like water retention. or the environment you are in (if its hot or cold) or the time of day that you've been weighing yourself.

At my uni they are doing research on a variety of supplements, (creatine, anti-oxidants or nitrate) the easiest exercise protocol was the nitrate one so i volunteered for that one!

got 2 take 2 gel packs a day from monday - wednesday, then just one 1 hour before i do the exercise protocol on thursday. It really is horrific. They sell beetroot shots which gives you more nitrate, tastes bad, but it goes down easier. this gel is just really hard to swallow fast.

Nitrate dilates your blood vessels more, so in theory, when you exercise more blood goes there and therefore more oxygen is available to the muscle - helps endurance athletes mostly, i think it can also help in intermittent stuff as it helps with the brief recovery. it also attempts creating world war three at your ass. I've done smelly farts before, but not consistently like this. ever since about 7pm yesterday every fart i have done has been a nightmare. every single one. id say im parping at least once every half an hour. in its peak im guffing once every 5 minutes.

It is funny and i can literally run up to a mate, drop it and run. and i do enjoy that aspect of it. but then theres times when im sat in a lecture and my belly is making all sorts of noises because im holding it all in. Also ive had to open a window in my house because it literally smells like the sewers in here.

Welldone to metsaj for donating blood. Im yet to do it. scares me! but i think i will eventually get round to doing it.

Oh that urine story you told, that reminds me. Last year we did a little study involving urine. so we all walked in and were given lots of different dirnks. at the end of hte session we all pissed in a cup and measured out hydration on those urine charts. One guy had bright blue wee. ive forgotten the name of it, but for a joke they had a bottle which had this stuff in that just makes your wee go bright blue. he was a bit scared till he realised they'd just given him a dodgy drink.

What do you study? I like how practical and interesting your lessons are. I just started biochemistry course and it will last for 1,5 years, super eager to learn more about different substances etc. In the first lecture, the lecturer told us that women breathe out gasoline - hinting at the long carbonhydrogen chains. Other than that, the most practical thing we've done is different lab experiments and first aid. Soon we get to go practice in a hospital for 6h.

that 1700 is about right. maybe even lower.

Ive never heard of this zig zag method. i dont know wether its one of those websites trying to sell you something, or if is a tip someone has managed to have success with but at the end ofh te day, if you consume less than you spend in terms of kcal, then youre going to lose weight.

The most common problem is mis counting calories. and its not your fault, sometimes oyu just forget, or sometimes the packet lies (which is scarily quite common!). You seem to have been doing really well on this so just try and keep it up. maybe increase the frequency of your exercise now, maybe even drop another 100kcal to 1600 a day instead (that seems quite low though).

Be sure you havent started to change eating habbits. like eating before bed. i know you can get groggy when only having 1700 kcal and it may be tempting to satisfy your hunger before you sleep. but you really wnat to avoid eating late in the evenings.

My advice would be, to think back to when you were losing your weight a few weeks ago, and try and identify anythign you are doing differently now that may be slowing down the process.

but my advice would be to pick up an extra session of exercise if you can. it will really help.

dont let this stumble scare you though, it could be down to something simple and irrelevant like water retention. or the environment you are in (if its hot or cold) or the time of day that you've been weighing yourself.

I couldn't give better advise, well done there dumps. One thing to also consider is that there's difference between calories and calories. In a sense that you've got to eat nutritious food that actually fuel your body not just add up numbers in a calculator. Keep in mind we're all different, everything's individual so calculators aren't taking that into account..

What do you study? I like how practical and interesting your lessons are. I just started biochemistry course and it will last for 1,5 years, super eager to learn more about different substances etc. In the first lecture, the lecturer told us that women breathe out gasoline - hinting at the long carbonhydrogen chains. Other than that, the most practical thing we've done is different lab experiments and first aid. Soon we get to go practice in a hospital for 6h.

man tough course! I study Sport, Exercise and Health science. its a 3 year degree and im very nearly finished. just got 1 exam and a few bits of work to hand in then im done! ive had to do a couple of modules on biochemistry, not in as much detail as you probably will, but its really interesting and hard!

In terms of practicals, this course has been really good. although most of your time is spent sat in a lecture theatre being told about sutff, we get to do a lot of lab stuff, testing people, seeing how hte body reacts to different types of exercise, seeing what different supplements do. its pretty cool and if you are a subject you get to see your own fitness. sticking am ask on your face and recording all the O2 and CO2 to see how well you use oxygen and how well you use it an stuff. its pretty cool. getting to take blood samples is pretty cool as wll then whacking it in a machine to get readings of certain substances in the blood. its pretty cool and im sure you'll do stuff like that, especially wiht the blood. the time in the hospital will be cool as well.

I also got taught by a guy that worked at CFC. he worked with all the players under ancelotti and designed drills for them. as well as testing them. ive been trying for the last couple of months to get that off him so i can stick it on here, the frank lampard stuff is really quite amazing. but iven ot had any luck. yet! im guessing he's not allowed to give it out, but i will get it!

man tough course! I study Sport, Exercise and Health science. its a 3 year degree and im very nearly finished. just got 1 exam and a few bits of work to hand in then im done! ive had to do a couple of modules on biochemistry, not in as much detail as you probably will, but its really interesting and hard!

In terms of practicals, this course has been really good. although most of your time is spent sat in a lecture theatre being told about sutff, we get to do a lot of lab stuff, testing people, seeing how hte body reacts to different types of exercise, seeing what different supplements do. its pretty cool and if you are a subject you get to see your own fitness. sticking am ask on your face and recording all the O2 and CO2 to see how well you use oxygen and how well you use it an stuff. its pretty cool. getting to take blood samples is pretty cool as wll then whacking it in a machine to get readings of certain substances in the blood. its pretty cool and im sure you'll do stuff like that, especially wiht the blood. the time in the hospital will be cool as well.

I also got taught by a guy that worked at CFC. he worked with all the players under ancelotti and designed drills for them. as well as testing them. ive been trying for the last couple of months to get that off him so i can stick it on here, the frank lampard stuff is really quite amazing. but iven ot had any luck. yet! im guessing he's not allowed to give it out, but i will get it!

That's right, in England you have loads of world class trainers/experts with impressive backgrounds, let alone past experience of working with CFC superstars. At the moment, the most interesting way to go is sport's medicine. I guess it comes - just like for you? - due to doing different sports and exercises and it has become not an obsession but more of a topic where you have dedicated yourself more into. Only thing I can remember from blood tests is that my hgb level was 166-171 g/L. I guess it's ok as I've not been able to do regular cardio for months now. In the summer will definitely try out the HIIT stuff you posted - I have even located a steep hill where you can run up and down. Never actually wore a CO2 mask, need to book a load-test ( don't know how to say it in English) to check those rates, body fat, heart alongside the usual height/weight mambojambo.

I checked the CV of Chelsea's head doctor. Fucking hell, it is mighty impressive. http://www.chelseafc.com/chelsea-article/article/2393769/title/paco-biosca----medical-director