Respect the fans

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, you're criticising the board without taking a broad overview of what they've done to establish the academy and also attract outside investment.

Managerial stability is great but it has to be with the right guy and we've not had that since Jose. United have had that, but the game has changed and Fergie's successor won't get that. They also won't get one of the greatest crop of youngsters ever to come up at one time (Giggs, Beckham, Nevilles, Scholes, Butt).

I might be wrong but didnt you say in one of your posts youve been going for years ? I dont think theres one fan I know goes to regular games that isnt fucked off with Gourlay, Buck etc.

The academy is window dressing, almost without exception the first team are bought off the (Waitrose)shelf. As for outside investment anyone working in a telesales call centre could sell advertisng space to a World club that has blanket TV coverage. I dont think it takes a genius.

Again, you're criticising the board without taking a broad overview of what they've done to establish the academy and also attract outside investment.

Managerial stability is great but it has to be with the right guy and we've not had that since Jose. United have had that, but the game has changed and Fergie's successor won't get that. They also won't get one of the greatest crop of youngsters ever to come up at one time (Giggs, Beckham, Nevilles, Scholes, Butt).

What academy? It's a fantasy in fan's minds to think that Chelsea are going to be bringing players along slowly and nurturing them. Chelsea are a club that are going to go out and buy their talent. It's fun to think "hey, this player is going to be great and this one will slot in perfectly there" but the truth is that we haven't produced an excellent academy player since the 1990s. Not one since Roman took over. Odds are that either zero or maybe one player currently in the academy will every play a significant role for Chelsea. Even if they did have the potential, Roman doesn't have the patience to see players develop because young players make mistakes and you have to live with that. Chelsea's strategy is to buy the top young talent off of other teams, not to develop our own.

That group that ManU had was fantastic, but it hasn't been the core of United for a long time and guess what, they're still doing well.They won on Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo, and Rooney and Vidic and now Van Persie. (In fact, the last time one of those players you mentioned won ManU player of the year was 1997-1998. Scholes and Giggs have still been very good for much of the time since, but it's hardly like they were carrying the team on their backs). They just have a much better model than us.

I have developed a hatred for football I've hardly watched a game this season and YES THIS IS BADBOY. I don't even get sad anymore when teams score against us, I hate football and it's over commericalization. Football can go to hell the same way boxing did when people like Don King raped it commercially until it took 6 months to promote a boxing match. Football was amazing before the avalanche of money came in and that is the honest truth !

i know what you mean. i find it harder every season to get into it or watch an international tournament. this season i thought it would be different but right now i just despise everything about it again (for me, it´s just phases). It is even harder as a Chelsea supporter because of all that redicolous stuff that happens around the club.

Exactly CHOULO19 , I thank Roman for the money he has spent on players, but not on sacking managers especially, Mourinho, Carlo, RDM.

This post tells me all I need to know about the opinions of some fans in regard to RDMs dismissal. I loved RDM, he was a classy bloke and Chelsea legend, but with all the respect in the world to him, he shouldn't be grouped in with the likes of Mourinho and Ancelotti.

The outrage invoked is nothing but a purely emotional reaction. There is no doubt in my mind that the squad had more to do with our Champions League win than Di Matteo. That's not to say that he added he nothing, I'm sure he did, but it was just the right time for him and the club. Roman couldn't have not give him a punt at the job, but I don't think he, like many, believed Robbie was up to it.

Let's be honest, you don't do a stint at MK Dons, get sacked from West Brom, and then waltz in to CFC and win the Champions League and an FA Cup entirely on your own merit and pedigree. It's far too fortunate. Some great performances and a lot of luck was involved.

This is not a dig at the man, but you could bet your house that RDM will not be taking charge of a huge team any time soon, let alone winning big trophies. He's just not the manager people want to believe he was.

Edit:

CWC, and the League Cup can not be Rafa's alone. RDM has his contribution. And We could have done better with RDM had there been a good striker.

This just adds to it.

I don't see anybody coming out AVBs arse for his contribution to our FA Cup and Champions League win.

What academy? It's a fantasy in fan's minds to think that Chelsea are going to be bringing players along slowly and nurturing them. Chelsea are a club that are going to go out and buy their talent. It's fun to think "hey, this player is going to be great and this one will slot in perfectly there" but the truth is that we haven't produced an excellent academy player since the 1990s. Not one since Roman took over. Odds are that either zero or maybe one player currently in the academy will every play a significant role for Chelsea. Even if they did have the potential, Roman doesn't have the patience to see players develop because young players make mistakes and you have to live with that. Chelsea's strategy is to buy the top young talent off of other teams, not to develop our own.

That group that ManU had was fantastic, but it hasn't been the core of United for a long time and guess what, they're still doing well.They won on Van Nistelrooy and Ronaldo, and Rooney and Vidic and now Van Persie. (In fact, the last time one of those players you mentioned won ManU player of the year was 1997-1998. Scholes and Giggs have still been very good for much of the time since, but it's hardly like they were carrying the team on their backs). They just have a much better model than us.

I completely disagree with your assessment of our academy. There are players will real potential like McEachran, Chalobah and Feruz who I think will establish themselves in our first team. Then there are players like Piazon, Ake, Swift and Kane who could go either way and either become first-teamers, squad players or sold on for a decent price.

Then there are the youngsters we've bought in like Courtois who is already one of the most exciting young prospects in his position. It's virtually unheard of for a team to go from one world-class keeper to another. Look at United after Schmeichel. They were flawed in that position until the got Van Der Sar, and now he's gone they're struggling.

There's also the De Bruynes, Wallaces and Lukakus that we've taken punts on.

Compared to watching the likes of Mark Nicholls and Paul Hughes, this academy is virtually sparkling.

I might be wrong but didnt you say in one of your posts youve been going for years ? I dont think theres one fan I know goes to regular games that isnt fucked off with Gourlay, Buck etc.

The academy is window dressing, almost without exception the first team are bought off the (Waitrose)shelf. As for outside investment anyone working in a telesales call centre could sell advertisng space to a World club that has blanket TV coverage. I dont think it takes a genius.

I don't seem to remember Bates and Hutchinson being particularly popular to be honest. It's part of the reason Harding was so beloved.

I don't remember Kenyon being at all liked either, but I don't expect the board to be. They get stick at most clubs, but the work they've done on the financial side of the team has been pretty impressive and I see the academy as being vital to our future. The problem comes in the gap between the reserves/youth team and the first-team, but that's the same at almost every top club in Europe.

I don't seem to remember Bates and Hutchinson being particularly popular to be honest. It's part of the reason Harding was so beloved.

I don't remember Kenyon being at all liked either, but I don't expect the board to be. They get stick at most clubs, but the work they've done on the financial side of the team has been pretty impressive and I see the academy as being vital to our future. The problem comes in the gap between the reserves/youth team and the first-team, but that's the same at almost every top club in Europe.

Hutchinson was a player, I have his autograph -much loved by the fans, not on the board.

Youre not a troll or Ron Gourlay in disguise are you ?

Let's be honest, you don't do a stint at MK Dons, get sacked from West Brom, and then waltz in to CFC and win the Champions League and an FA Cup. It's far too fortunate. Some great performances and a lot of luck was involved.

Mourinho was at Uniau di Leira. Ancelotti was at Parma, Alex Ferguson started at East Stirlingshire. Raffa started at Etramadura. That's how managers get their start. Then, they get given time to develop into big names. Do you really think if Guardiola were at MK Dons, he'd have them winning the Champions League?

Are you confusing Colin Hutchinson with Ian Hutchinson?

I have both of their autographs too.

Strange to have Colin Hutchinsons autograph -as you said he was unpopular.

No player of any merit has been promoted from the academy since 1990s. It has however produced 'factory seconds' that have been farmed out to other teams eg Borini, Kakuta. But with acquisitions such as Hazard, Oscar, Marin, it doesnt bode well for anyone coming through directly.

I completely disagree with your assessment of our academy. There are players will real potential like McEachran, Chalobah and Feruz who I think will establish themselves in our first team. Then there are players like Piazon, Ake, Swift and Kane who could go either way and either become first-teamers, squad players or sold on for a decent price.

Then there are the youngsters we've bought in like Courtois who is already one of the most exciting young prospects in his position. It's virtually unheard of for a team to go from one world-class keeper to another. Look at United after Schmeichel. They were flawed in that position until the got Van Der Sar, and now he's gone they're struggling.

There's also the De Bruynes, Wallaces and Lukakus that we've taken punts on.

I wouldn't call those last three punts. We spent about 25M pounds on them. (Basically an average Premier League team's spending on all transfers). This is what we do. It's the opposite of the academy. We like other youngsters and we buy them and loan them out. McEachran is playing OK in the Championship. He's been playing mostly on the right wing. He has no goals and 2 assists in 16 matches. He's not about to come in and take Mata's job. Chalobah has played 10 professional games and Feruz hasn't played any. These players are all a long, long way from Chelsea first team action and will probably never get there. Talent is like a pyramid. There are lots of 17 and 18 year olds with the potential to be fantastic players but as you go up in age, there become fewer and fewer of them. For every 50 "he's going to be great" players at 17, maybe 1 is great at 23. People like getting excited by these players and that's fine, but I think it's ridiculous to expect anything from these players. Chelsea are going to keep buying top class players and you can't be a team who buys tons of players and also develops youngsters. We'll continue to let other clubs develop them for us.

I wouldn't call those last three punts. We spent about 25M pounds on them. (Basically an average Premier League team's spending on all transfers). This is what we do. It's the opposite of the academy. We like other youngsters and we buy them and loan them out. McEachran is playing OK in the Championship. He's been playing mostly on the right wing. He has no goals and 2 assists in 16 matches. He's not about to come in and take Mata's job. Chalobah has played 10 professional games and Feruz hasn't played any. These players are all a long, long way from Chelsea first team action and will probably never get there. Talent is like a pyramid. There are lots of 17 and 18 year olds with the potential to be fantastic players but as you go up in age, there become fewer and fewer of them. For every 50 "he's going to be great" players at 17, maybe 1 is great at 23. People like getting excited by these players and that's fine, but I think it's ridiculous to expect anything from these players. Chelsea are going to keep buying top class players and you can't be a team who buys tons of players and also develops youngsters. We'll continue to let other clubs develop them for us.

Exactly. Fans get excited by the prospects of a Josh or youngster making it. Youth team players, will always want to make the grade, which is the reason for the special relationship they have with the fans. The CL success was enabled by ready made players and as such its a perpetual cycle.

Without that success, we could have not had any of these (Oscars, marins, Hazards) players coming to Stamford Bridge. .

Strange to have Colin Hutchinsons autograph -as you said he was unpopular.

No player of any merit has been promoted from the academy since 1990s. It has however produced 'factory seconds' that have been farmed out to other teams eg Borini, Kakuta. But with acquisitions such as Hazard, Oscar, Marin, it doesnt bode well for anyone coming through directly.

It's strange, but I used to get the autographs of actors from The Bill went they went to the Bridge. I've got Alec Stewart's at least twice and god knows how many Erland Johnson autographs I've got (always with drips of sweat).

But I assume you were confusing the Hutchinsons. It's an easy mistake I suppose.

The academy hasn't produced what it should have. But I personally think the current crop of youngsters has some real gems in it, moreso than any period that I can personally remember. It's that step between the academy and the first-team that is the problem, but it's not just our club that suffers with it. Hopefully the recent changes in youth competitions help remedy that.

Firstly, McEachran started on the right wing but has been moved centrally alongside Leadbitter recently and has been doing very well. His stats might not be all that but if you watch his games and listen to Boro fans, you can see how important he is to that team. He also isn't a Mata - he's primarily suited to a much deeper role, akin to a Xavi or Modric who keeps the team ticking over with the ball.

Chalobah has also been key to Watford's start to the season and looks closer to a first-team start for us then anyone expected.

Feruz is younger than the other two but I'd expect to see him step up next season.

It isn't ridiculous to think these players could be part of our club going forward, but we should be cautious with them. i think your final sentence is completely out of step with what everyone at the club envisions for Chelsea going forward. I think there will be a mix of players bought in who are already established, players who are bought in from other club's academies and then loaned out (de Bruyne, Courtois etc.) and then players who come up through the ranks (McEachran, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek).

That is the sensible approach and that's the one the club wants.

This just adds to it.

I don't see anybody coming out AVBs arse for his contribution to our FA Cup and Champions League win.

Very long post. But let me just reply to this part and hopefully you will understand.

When AVB left, we were going for a FA cup replay away at Birmingham because we drew against this Championship team at the Bridge. So poor was our performance

We were trailing 3-1 away from Napoli. And body language of the players was so poor that it looked quite impossible for us to progress.

RDM has left us with a win against Man Utd in league cup, and you need to be the Champions of Europe to enter CWC. Guess we won the UCl under whom?

Another kneejerk thread, reading these you would think we are the only club that sacks managers.

Inter, Porto, Ajax, Bayern and Real have gone through manager's at the same rate we have since 2003 are you saying Moratti for example has no respect for the Inter fans?

The days of managerial stability is dying out, when Ferguson has retired they will be gone completely (atleast at top clubs winning things). If were lucky were find a long term manager, long term being 3-5 years, but ive learned to accept that any longer will never happen.

Mourinho was at Uniau di Leira. Ancelotti was at Parma, Alex Ferguson started at East Stirlingshire. Raffa started at Etramadura. That's how managers get their start. Then, they get given time to develop into big names. Do you really think if Guardiola were at MK Dons, he'd have them winning the Champions League?

Pointless comment because none of those managers came to CFC off the back of those teams mentioned. They started out with those smaller sides, and went on to have a further incremental step in their managerial careers before coming to us. RDM never got that next step.

Very long post. But let me just reply to this part and hopefully you will understand.

When AVB left, we were going for a FA cup replay away at Birmingham because we drew against this Championship team at the Bridge. So poor was our performance

We were trailing 3-1 away from Napoli. And body language of the players was so poor that it looked quite impossible for us to progress.

RDM has left us with a win against Man Utd in league cup, and you need to be the Champions of Europe to enter CWC. Guess we won the UCl under whom?

RDM left us precariously on the edge of being knocked out of the Champions League (relying on other teams to help us qualify no less.). Defeated and drawing against teams we should, by all rights, be beating. You're taking from this what you want to and creating your own narrative.