The Australian Discussion Thread featuring 7 years

capriccioso

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was the entire Western World and not just Australia and America that had a fast food outlet every 5-10 minutes or so?

In the cities perhaps. Let us not forget we have signs like this in Australia:

4399881962_90dee4e1c1.jpg

Driving from Norseman, Western Australia; to Ceduna, South Australia is a 1200 kilometre long journey:

0d3ec4842e6fb19c59e5ecc5673b6ec3.png

I don't think fast food outlets would be available along that route!

Trust me, Irn Bru is amazing. Come to Scotland and get some. AMAZING.............

I have found Irn Bru in Australia. It's available in the foreign food aisle at Coles, if anyone here wants to buy it.

I don't trust you, RD. It'll probably taste like Scottish piss fermented in haggis! :Goober:. It also costs about $3.50, I'm not paying that much for a can of anything that's not alcoholic.

I have found Irn Bru in Australia. It's available in the foreign food aisle at Coles, if anyone here wants to buy it.

I don't trust you, RD. It'll probably taste like Scottish piss fermented in haggis! :Goober:. It also costs about $3.50, I'm not paying that much for a can of anything that's not alcoholic.

It's not great....You can get a can here for like 39p. I wouldn't recommend it. What else have they got down the foreign food aisle?

It's not great....You can get a can here for like 39p. I wouldn't recommend it. What else have they got down the foreign food aisle?

Dr. Pepper, the American soft drink. Actually pretty decent, but still, overpriced. A lot of ready-to-eat Asian/Italian food, foreign spices, and that's about it. Its basically foreign food for Australians, rather than foreign food for migrants. We do our shopping at dedicated stores rather than supermarkets.

Dr. Pepper, the American soft drink. Actually pretty decent, but still, overpriced. A lot of ready-to-eat Asian/Italian food, foreign spices, and that's about it. Its basically foreign food for Australians, rather than foreign food for migrants. We do our shopping at dedicated stores rather than supermarkets.

They don't sell Dr. Pepper in Australia, other than the foreign food aisle? For real? It's everywhere here.

They don't sell Dr. Pepper in Australia, other than the foreign food aisle? For real? It's everywhere here.

Yep, it never took off here and so got relegated to being sold at a few shops and just the one supermarket giant :(

I quite like Dr. Pepper. But that should come as no surprise. Doctors like each other :Goober:

No, not here in Austria. But there are people who keep their daughters in their cellars. What a great state Austria is!

Fucking love Dr Pepper. It's not very popular in Australia due to something strange. I've noticed that more than few people from an older generation day that it tastes like a medicine they used to take as children. Now this Medicine doesn't exist anymore but it was discontinued just before Dr Pepper hit Australia.

So all in all Dr Pepper is unpopular because it tastes similar to a notorious children's Medicine from the 70s and 80s.

Fucking love Dr Pepper. It's not very popular in Australia due to something strange. I've noticed that more than few people from an older generation day that it tastes like a medicine they used to take as children. Now this Medicine doesn't exist anymore but it was discontinued just before Dr Pepper hit Australia.

So all in all Dr Pepper is unpopular because it tastes similar to a notorious children's Medicine from the 70s and 80s.

Yeah, Dr. P really is great.

Still criminally overpriced at Coles though. Do you have a Coles or a Woolworths near Cunnamulla? Or do neither of them have franchises near where you live?

And to think I wanted to move to Australia. Your beverage industry sounds terrible.

Have they still got those life saver sweets out there? They're lovely!

What can you expect from a country where you can drive for 1200km and not find so much as a drop of water? Obviously our beverage industry won't be doing great :lol:

Yes, we still have life savers.

Actually, the more I think of it, the more a long drive across the Nullarbor appeals to me. That 1200km drive is over a massive block of limestone- the Nullarbor Plain isn't actually a plain, it's an unimaginably large rock where virtually nothing grows. Though the route is pan flat throughout, there are some spectacular views of the ocean to be had, if you have the balls to pull over and wade out across a few hundred metres of prime snake areas. It would be fucking scary at night, I'd imagine. Some sort of Wolf Creek scenario would be pretty likely.

There are no street lights alongside the Eyre Highway. All you look at all day long is this:

2f23e7fede8c1412869cf0ca673e8fa5.png

When you enter the Nullarbor proper, it gets worse:

c4140ed062b8c4a1af11d1aae7e9682e.png

And the road is pan flat and dead straight the whole way through:

4b148e0ab1c9dd31b5eba945ae5b28bb.png

And to think I wanted to move to Australia. Your beverage industry sounds terrible.

Have they still got those life saver sweets out there? They're lovely!

Bitch please. Australia and New Zealand are the only countries where Vanilla Coke is still available. And it's everywhere.