David Luiz

the wes

Luiz 'confused' under Conte, says new Chelsea boss Sarri

https://nation.com.pk/01-Oct-2018/luiz-confused-under-conte-says-new-chelsea-boss-sarri

David Luiz was left puzzled by his treatment under former Chelsea coach Antonio Conte, according to new Stamford Bridge boss Maurizio Sarri.

Luiz had been an central figure in Chelsea's title win in Conte's first season as boss, in 2016-17, but scarcely featured after the 3-0 loss at Roma on October 31 last year.

The Brazil defender, 31, had a rumoured falling-out with Conte and a series of injuries, not featuring at all after the February loss at Watford.

"Two seasons ago he was a protagonist," said Sarri. "Then six months ago he was not playing, so he was a little confused." Chelsea are unbeaten in the Premier League this season, with five wins and two draws, and came within minutes of inflicting Liverpool's first loss on Saturday.

What Sarri likes about Luiz could be a trait that explains his exile under Conte. "He's direct. If he has to say something to the manager he has to talk to me," Sarri said. "I like very much direct people.

"When I arrived here immediately I had the feeling he's a very good player for my way of football because he's a centre-back who is very technical. "Then I appreciate his qualities as a man. He's really better than I thought before."

Luiz is thriving under Sarri. "Sarri is giving us a lot of happiness to play football. We are trying to enjoy," he told Chelsea TV. "He gives us a lot of confidence. He shows us what he wants. He gives us the details about the game." 

SNIP

Chelsea to offer David Luiz new contract after reinvigorating career under Maurizio Sarri

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-to-offer-david-luiz-new-contract-after-reinvigorating-career-under-maurizio-sarri-a3950951.html

Anyone else get this feeling that he might just be wearing the captains armband soon?  ff52520517060c376dcf43e6afc42ba1.gif

4 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Chelsea to offer David Luiz new contract after reinvigorating career under Maurizio Sarri

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-to-offer-david-luiz-new-contract-after-reinvigorating-career-under-maurizio-sarri-a3950951.html

Anyone else get this feeling that he might just be wearing the captains armband soon?  ff52520517060c376dcf43e6afc42ba1.gif

:( We are so fucked.

I dont like the people on the site in general but the guy on the rare occasion does make a good article

Just read this about Luiz. Some of it was interesting

Watch out world, David Luiz is really good again!

Back in from the cold, David Luiz has become indispensable to Sarri’s first-choice lineups

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/10/2/17919556/watch-out-world-david-luiz-is-really-good-again

For David Luiz and Chelsea, Everything’s Perfect. Until Suddenly It’s Not.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/sports/soccer/chelsea-liverpool-premier-league.html

LONDON — Muttering under his breath, shaking his head in regret, David Luiz was the last player to disappear from the field. He had taken his time after the final whistle. As Liverpool’s players went over to celebrate with their fans, and as his Chelsea teammates trudged disconsolately toward the tunnel, Luiz lingered.

He stripped off his jersey. He bestowed a few handshakes on eager young fans reaching their arms out for him to brush. He made sure to wave to almost every corner of the stadium; only that pocket of jubilant Liverpool supporters avoided his gaze. Only when his tour of duty was complete did he depart, frustration etched on his face.

In that, he mirrored those fans streaming out of the stadium. Until the 89th minute, Chelsea had seemed destined for a victory that would have moved Maurizio Sarri’s team — which he acknowledges is a work in progress — above Liverpool in the Premier League standings, to a share of the lead, separated from Manchester City only by goal difference.

It had been a game of fine margins, not quite one of those wild rides the Premier League imagines is its calling card, but a high-speed, high-caliber occasion, the first meeting of genuine peers in the early season. The difference, the only difference, was that Chelsea had taken its chance — a move started energetically and finished exquisitely by Eden Hazard, midway through the first half — where Liverpool, on half a dozen occasions, had not.

That had, in no small part, been Luiz’s doing. Not simply because he had appeared, at the last moment, to stop a header from Roberto Firmino that would have drawn Liverpool even, but because he had produced a performance of precision and poise, control and concentration, to keep the visitors’ forward line at bay. Liverpool, of course, boasts the most expensive defender in the world, the similarly impeccable Virgil van Dijk. Luiz’s display was a reminder as to why, until last January, he had held that title.

There was nothing he might have done — nothing anyone might have done, really — about the goal that salvaged a point for Liverpool, that sent that corner of red dancing into the night.

Daniel Sturridge, on the field for only four minutes, picked up the ball outside Chelsea’s penalty area, glanced up and lifted a swerving, dipping shot beyond the reach of Kepa Arrizabalaga for the draw. Its brilliance offered little solace to Luiz, or to his teammates.

The goal capped what has been an unlikely renaissance for Sturridge. This summer, his Liverpool career appeared to be at an end. He had been sent out on loan to West Bromwich Albion last January, in desperate search of playing time in a vain hope of forcing his way onto England’s World Cup squad. He played six times. He did not score. West Brom was relegated.

snip

much more at the link

• 1 month later...

More ball watching today for the Palace goal, totally unaware of the runner behind him. Although he had good moments in the match all that is undone by one thing. Scary that somebody who is in his 30s can still get done by ballwatching so easily. It is a shame because it happens a lot and will cost us eventually. 

Gets way too much shit. Mistakes are overblown and he is always under a microscope. Very good defender, who like any defender makes a mistake or two.

There is a reason he has won everything there is to win. There is a reason he was in the world 11. There is a reason he was the most expensive at his position.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Gets way too much shit. Mistakes are overblown and he is always under a microscope. Very good defender, who like any defender makes a mistake or two.

There is a reason he has won everything there is to win. There is a reason he was in the world 11. There is a reason he was the most expensive at his position.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Won everything there is to win?

Remembering Brazil 1-7 Germany, a ghost that still haunts the Seleção today

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/brazil-germany-2014-rematch-2018-world-cup-tite-neymar-sane-a8276136.html

David-Luiz-crying.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, Vesper said:

Won everything there is to win?

Remembering Brazil 1-7 Germany, a ghost that still haunts the Seleção today

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/brazil-germany-2014-rematch-2018-world-cup-tite-neymar-sane-a8276136.html

David-Luiz-crying.jpg

Luiz was pretty shocking in that game... but Fernandinho was shocking in that midfield (which got overrun by germany), and was shocking too against Belgium in the last WC.

Considering Brazil only got to that final against Germany because playing at home, neymar, and a fantastic goal by luiz himself in the semis, I've always felt he gets underservely singled out for what was a terrible and disgraceful overall team performance. BTW, Evertonian Bernard started on the right wing, which makes the final score more about the coach (scolari) than anything else. :) 

27 minutes ago, Robguima said:

Luiz was pretty shocking in that game... but Fernandinho was shocking in that midfield (which got overrun by germany), and was shocking too against Belgium in the last WC.

Considering Brazil only got to that final against Germany because playing at home, neymar, and a fantastic goal by luiz himself in the semis, I've always felt he gets underservely singled out for what was a terrible and disgraceful overall team performance. BTW, Evertonian Bernard started on the right wing, which makes the final score more about the coach (scolari) than anything else. :) 

It wasn't the final

Germany beat Argentina in the final 1 nil on Mario Götze's goal set up by our very own André Schürrle.

Brasil went on to get crushed in the 3rd place game 3 nil by the Netherlands.

It wasnt all on Luiz, never claimed that, but he was a huge FAIL.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

It wasn't the final

Germany beat Argentina in the final 1 nil on Mario Götze's goal set up by our very own André Schürrle.

Brasil went on to get crushed in the 3rd place game 3 nil by the Netherlands.

It wasnt all on Luiz, never claimed that, but he was a huge FAIL.

I stand corrected, but doesn't really affect the point I was making. Netherlands were also much superior as shown in their 3rd place win.

Still Brazil only got that far due to pretty outstanding performances by Luiz. Yes he was terrible against germany, or perhaps merely his usual self.

Brazil team just wasn't good enough to have reached the semis and got found out.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Tautvix said:

Why we still have this cunt in the team? Why he is in starting line up? Conte was absolutely right to freeze Luiz last season. Completely useless player.

he wants a new contract too knowing our board he will get one like Alonso did 

I can't believe it's almost 2019 and we have this joke of a defender as a starter. He was average EIGHT FUCKING YEARS ago. He's so lucky he got away with so much in his career by being "the joker" with that fucking big hair. It's football not fucking prime time television! I've had enough of him. If he doesn't get dropped after this embarrassing display then I will give up on this fucking season. I'd rather see a promising mistake-prone Christensen over this load of football shite any fucking day.