Nathan Aké

James

Wasn't he staying with the u-21/first team this season to get homegrown status, or am I wrong?

If he goes out on loan in England he would still be regarded as homegrown. Unless the club are trying to qualify him for EUFA's B list for the CL, but I keep forgetting what the rules for that are..

If he goes out on loan in England he would still be regarded as homegrown. Unless the club are trying to qualify him for EUFA's B list for the CL, but I keep forgetting what the rules for that are..

if he stays with us and is a part of the first team squad, can he still play in the youth CL?

if he stays with us and is a part of the first team squad, can he still play in the youth CL?

Yes because I doubt he'll be getting much time in the first team. Lewis Baker was playing with U21s less than 24 hours after making his debut for us against Derby IIRC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Anyone else thinking we should try pulling off an Alaba-like development with Ake? They're pretty similar in their playing styles with Alaba being the more offensive gifted one and Ake playing it safe more often. Not saying they're on the same level of potential but I see many similarities between the two. Also, I doubt Ake's gonna make it as a DM or as a CB (due to his size and stature) here, so instead of seeing him go out on loan for 2 or 3 years and then selling him why not try him in that LB spot? He's played there already for the Youths and it's not like we have any better prospects at LB anyway.

Anyone else thinking we should try pulling off an Alaba-like development with Ake? They're pretty similar in their playing styles with Alaba being the more offensive gifted one and Ake playing it safe more often. Not saying they're on the same level of potential but I see many similarities between the two. Also, I doubt Ake's gonna make it as a DM or as a CB (due to his size and stature) here, so instead of seeing him go out on loan for 2 or 3 years and then selling him why not try him in that LB spot? He's played there already for the Youths and it's not like we have any better prospects at LB anyway.

As much as that would be nice, it's not going to happen under Mourinho especially in a season he and us are under pressure to win things.

As much as that would be nice, it's not going to happen under Mourinho especially in a season he and us are under pressure to win things.

Yeah, sure! I was thinking more about the long-term anyway. But it'd be a great move IMO to tell Ake that we want him to become our long-term LB solution so he knows what the plan with him in the future is. It would be benefitting for both parties.

This is what I was thinking this season, as he really impressed me at LB for the youth and he has also been starting at LB for the Dutch U21s in their recent games. He would do well there but it looks likely we'll either sign a new LB and/or PVA will come back and be back-up (to a new LB or Azpi). Hopefully a loan next season should be a bigger clue as to where his best position is.

This is what I was thinking this season, as he really impressed me at LB for the youth and he has also been starting at LB for the Dutch U21s in their recent games. He would do well there but it looks likely we'll either sign a new LB and/or PVA will come back and be back-up (to a new LB or Azpi). Hopefully a loan next season should be a bigger clue as to where his best position is.

He's a great utility option, but I can see us recalling Van Aanholt, flogging him to some other club and then loaning Ake to Vitesse to play at left-back.

He doesn't offer as much going forward as PVA but he's a far more rounded player than he was at the same age.

• 1 month later...

Cole signed for AS Roma, PvA and Bertrand is likely to leave too. Do you think that Aké could be our second-choice LB? He started against Wimbledon and Wycombe and he was quite good. We have Filipe and Azpi so there is no reason to buy another LB. He'd be a homegrown player if he stayed.

Edit: I know he is a CB/DM but I don't think he would get a chance to play there. A defensive allrounder like Essien would be great in the squad though.

I honestly think his future is at LB. He's just too small to make it in central midfield, let alone at center back. He's got all the technical ability and tactical awareness to play LB. And I know it's only preseason, but he really impressed me in those two matches at LB so far.

But stay with the squad this year? I honestly doubt it. I think most likely he will go out on loan, probably to Vitesse.

Cole signed for AS Roma, PvA and Bertrand is likely to leave too. Do you think that Aké could be our second-choice LB? He started against Wimbledon and Wycombe and he was quite good. We have Filipe and Azpi so there is no reason to buy another LB. He'd be a homegrown player if he stayed.

Edit: I know he is a CB/DM but I don't think he would get a chance to play there. A defensive allrounder like Essien would be great in the squad though.

Doubt it, i think this for season atleast Azpi and Luis will be the full backs and if Luis picks up a knock Azpi will switch to the left and Ivan comes into the right.

Mou is building his foundation from the back and have his defence build an understanding so i think he will go for a versatile group of 6 (JT, Cahill, Ivan, Zouma, Azpi, Luis) rather than 2 in each position per se. Its a risk but having 8 first team defenders is pointless when we won't rotate there often, 2 of them would see no game time whatsoever.

Maybe that's why Romeu's contract got extended incase of defensive emergency as well as midfield back up. Ake has a good future for us, but i think he will go on loan this term.