• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright lads.

IDN28501

Severe Weather Warning

for damaging winds

for people in the Metropolitan, South Coast, Illawarra, Hunter and Mid North Coast forecast districts

Issued at 4:12 pm EST on Friday 10 August 2012.

Weather Situation

DAMAGING WINDS ALONG COASTAL PARTS OF NEW SOUTH WALES.

A low pressure system is centred over the Tasman Sea, and a high pressure system near Adelaide. A vigorous south to southwesterly airstream is being generated between these systems, enhanced by the movement of a low pressure trough along the New South Wales coast today.

Damaging winds averaging over 60 km/h, with gusts in excess of 90 km/h, are forecast for coastal parts of the Sydney Metropolitan, South Coast, Illawarra, Hunter and Mid North Coast forecast districts this evening.

At Molineaux Point (Sydney), a wind gust of 115 km/h has been recorded today. Elsewhere, gusts of 91 km/h at Kiama, and 96 km/h at Montague Island, have been recorded.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should:

• Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
  • Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
  • Keep clear of fallen power lines.

For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.

The sky is fucking incredible right now. A very dark, blackboard like grey colour- but the sun's still shining. I've never seen it this colour before.

528586_442328619144519_1057071493_n.jpg

Stay Safe Cap! Hope it passes quickly!

Thanks a lot :wub:

It's quietened down a little bit, maybe 50km/hr winds now rather than 70. Which is good because at 70 there's a chance of the roofs of houses getting ripped away. The weather people are saying it'll get worse tomorrow, and there's been a power outage (apparently a power pole was uprooted) in a suburb about 10km away from mine.

Died right down no to just 35km/h... but that doesn't mean much. It's almost never windy at night, I'm sure it'll pick up again tomorrow back into the 60s.

The coast is taking a battering though. Anything navy or blood red you see in this chart is greater than 90km:

32857e24fd6f956698692038a3c5e67b.png

They've cancelled aeroplane traffic at the airport and in the central NSW area.

Its calm now, thankfully the storm blew itself out with very little damage.

We had a gust hit 115km/hour; the fastest recorded wind in the city in 26 years.

Parts of the city did get hit pretty bad though:

roof729-620x349.jpg

roof2729-620x349.jpg

boat729-620x349.jpg

7e8ba0ff9be5398f2d4f602b38b85dc5.png

53d4c5a31ada50ed4a4d2f62ae5856a0.png

A bus got blown off course, onto the power pole. Lucky there was no one walking on the side of the road...

So glad it's over. When we were in Memphis we had to deal with violent thunderstorms and tornado warning. We hand a few go very near the house but thankfully never close enough to do damage. One summer we hand to seek shelter almost ever other evening from the storms it was crazy and I wouldn't want to wish that kind of stress on any one! Take care!

Summer seems to be over here, was fun while it lasted. Every day it's 15 degrees celsius at most and almost every day it rains. Day by day it's only going to get worse and in a couple of months it's going to be cold as fuck and snow up to my balls everywhere. <_<

Meh typical Scottish summer. Rainy days for at least a third of the summer then the rest is either hot and sunny or sunny and slightly windy, perfect weather for me tbh. :D

Actually it's pretty much the same here and that's not what is bothering me tbh. I'm more pissed off thinkin about what it's going to be like in a few months and I get all moody in advance.

If you thought you had your winter time bad in Scotland, you haven't seen anything yet. Winter in here is about as bad as it gets, think about Siberia and you'd be pretty close. :(

Actually it's pretty much the same here and that's not what is bothering me tbh. I'm more pissed off thinkin about what it's going to be like in a few months and I get all moody in advance.

If you thought you had your winter time bad in Scotland, you haven't seen anything yet. Winter in here is about as bad as it gets, think about Siberia and you'd be pretty close. :(

When its winter here its usually terrible too. Maybe not quite Siberia bad but still bad haha.

Met a family from Finland today. They moved here two weeks ago... poor things are miserable in the heat and humidity! It is 35 today but feels like 45. YUCK! The air is so think you feel like you almost need to swim! :(