The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

1 hour ago, Jason said:

On paper at least, they do have decent players as backups. But really though, what choice do they have? They aren't going to suddenly throw a team of young players in - they probably aren't ready or good enough - and Solskjaer playing a strong team in every competition is not sustainable (e.g. Lindelof picked up an injury against us and then aggravated it at Bournemouth, McTominay suffered an injury yesterday and is now a doubt for the weekend). Last night's result aside, they have been scraping past teams by the odd goal in the cups as well. 

I have never watched pizen play so I don't know whether a weaker lineup is good enough to beat them. But usually team in epl use combination player that don't play last Sunday + young player in league cup n europa, Ole on the other pretty much play full team.

I understand in europa league because right now it is there best avenue to CL but they played full team in league cup 

Where is Chong, greenwood, James, Gardner, Phil Jones, matic. 

37 minutes ago, communicate said:

I have never watched pizen play so I don't know whether a weaker lineup is good enough to beat them. But usually team in epl use combination player that don't play last Sunday + young player in league cup n europa, Ole on the other pretty much play full team.

They played Partizan Belgrade, not Viktoria Plzen, if that is what you thought. :P United have largely played the same core XI with few changes here and there from game to game.

38 minutes ago, communicate said:

I understand in europa league because right now it is there best avenue to CL but they played full team in league cup 

They played a strong team against us because it was us, a big team. Their XI at the Bridge was stronger than when they played Rochdale in the previous round.

vs Rochdale
Romero, Wan-Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo, Fred, Pogba, Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Greenwood

Subs - Williams, Mata, James

vs Chelsea
Romero, Lindelof, Maguire, Rojo, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Fred, Williams, Lingard, James, Rashford

Subs - Martial, Pereira, Young

10 hours ago, communicate said:

It is clear what is United priority this season. Ole has been playing a very strong team in europa and in league cup. 

Obviously he is not gonma qualify for CL otherwise.

I am rooting for Wolves tho. They always show sublime fighting spirit in Europe, they clearly cherish the occasion.

Btw that Slovakian goalie they played yesterday made some mad saves...Dominik Greif...till only 22 and had kept a cleansheet in half of his professional games so far..maybe worth a bid

1 hour ago, Jason said:

They played Partizan Belgrade, not Viktoria Plzen, if that is what you thought. :P United have largely played the same core XI with few changes here and there from game to game.

They played a strong team against us because it was us, a big team. Their XI at the Bridge was stronger than when they played Rochdale in the previous round.

vs Rochdale
Romero, Wan-Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Jones, Rojo, Fred, Pogba, Pereira, Lingard, Chong, Greenwood

Subs - Williams, Mata, James

vs Chelsea
Romero, Lindelof, Maguire, Rojo, Wan-Bissaka, McTominay, Fred, Williams, Lingard, James, Rashford

Subs - Martial, Pereira, Young

Lol my bad. Yup, 

When I saw their lineup against us, I was surprised. Even against big team usually team play bench + youngsters in early stage of league cup, because basically no team want to get deep in this competition, just look at pool vs arsenal. 

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Lol my bad. Yup, 

When I saw their lineup against us, I was surprised. Even against big team usually team play bench + youngsters in early stage of league cup, because basically no team want to get deep in this competition, just look at pool vs arsenal. 

Klopp has never taken the domestic cups seriously. Emery has always played a mixed XI in the cups.

And TBF, we did play a strong team in every cup game last season under Sarri.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Klopp has never taken the domestic cups seriously. Emery has always played a mixed XI in the cups.

And TBF, we did play a strong team in every cup game last season under Sarri.

I honestly don't remember us playing full team in league cup or europa in early stage. Hazard usually come of the bench which is fine. I remember Cesc start most games with ruben who at that time was not our starter. 

1 minute ago, communicate said:

I honestly don't remember us playing full team in league cup or europa in early stage. Hazard usually come of the bench which is fine. I remember Cesc start most games with ruben who at that time was not our starter. 

Point is, we never played a team of full of kids. We always still put out a strong team similar to what Solskjaer is doing now. IIRC, only Ampadu and CHO - in terms of young players - were used by Sarri. 

Just now, Jason said:

Point is, we never played a team of full of kids. We always still put out a strong team similar to what Solskjaer is doing now. IIRC, only Ampadu and CHO - in terms of young players - were used by Sarri. 

That is true that we didn't play kids but we played player that didn't play last Sunday or not in first 11.

With Ole, he pretty much played his key player Martial, Rashford, Maguire, Mctominay, awb in league cup and Europa. That is what surprises me. He can always start Lingard, greenwood, chong/James up top rather than Martial Rashford. 

26 minutes ago, communicate said:

That is true that we didn't play kids but we played player that didn't play last Sunday or not in first 11.

With Ole, he pretty much played his key player Martial, Rashford, Maguire, Mctominay, awb in league cup and Europa. That is what surprises me. He can always start Lingard, greenwood, chong/James up top rather than Martial Rashford. 

As I said, they don't have the best of squad depth. Shaw, Dalot have been injured IIRC. Lindelof got injured at the weekend. Jones is just bad. Lingard has featured here and there but like Jones, he's useless anyway. Says a lot if Solskjaer isn't even bothered about playing them in these cup games. Greenwood has played in their Europa League and League Cup games (except against us). Chong is a right winger and I don't know what's the situation with him. James is also a winger and has been one of their main starters in the league.