The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

That reaction is ridiculous IMO. There were only 7 possible opponents and 3 of them (Barca, Madrid, and Bayern) would be extremely difficult and 2 more (Dortmund and Juventus) would be very hard as well. Malaga and Galatasaray were the easy draws but they only had a 28.6% chance of getting one of those teams. It's not like there were 7 possible draws and 6 of them were against mediocre teams and they got Barcelona. Arsenal, ManU, and Milan got unlucky in the draw last stage because there were a lot of mediocre teams still around but this is the CL quarter-finals, it should be difficult.

That reaction is ridiculous IMO. There were only 7 possible opponents and 3 of them (Barca, Madrid, and Bayern) would be extremely difficult and 2 more (Dortmund and Juventus) would be very hard as well. Malaga and Galatasaray were the easy draws but they only had a 28.6% chance of getting one of those teams. It's not like there were 7 possible draws and 6 of them were against mediocre teams and they got Barcelona. Arsenal, ManU, and Milan got unlucky in the draw last stage because there were a lot of mediocre teams still around but this is the CL quarter-finals, it should be difficult.

It's not ridiculous. Some teams just don't want to play against Barcelona..

I think out of all the Quarter-finalists, only Madrid and Juventus would have caused Barcelona serious problems...

Bayern and Dortmund can beat most teams...but over 2 legs, Barcelona would probably be too strong for them..

It's not ridiculous. Some teams just don't want to play against Barcelona..

I think out of all the Quarter-finalists, only Madrid and Juventus would have caused Barcelona serious problems...

Bayern and Dortmund can beat most teams...but over 2 legs, Barcelona would probably be too strong for them..

I don't know. I think Bayern is maybe the best team in Europe right now. They've conceded 10 goals in 25 matches. Barcelona have actually been in relatively pretty poor form recently. Barcelona is a great team, but they're not unbeatable, they are quite vulnerable defensively, and they certainly aren't vastly better than a number of other teams still alive in the CL.

I don't know. I think Bayern is maybe the best team in Europe right now. They've conceded 10 goals in 25 matches. Barcelona have actually been in relatively pretty poor form recently. Barcelona is a great team, but they're not unbeatable, they are quite vulnerable defensively, and they certainly aren't vastly better than a number of other teams still alive in the CL.

Mostly due to Barca not having a fucking manager for a couple months now. And people say it's a walk in the park to manage Barca...

Their performance against Milan was possibly the best I've seen from them since 2011, no matter how shit Milan were.

I don't support this, "Bayern is the best team in Europe" trend at all. I despise both clubs and I wished they both drew each other, but Barca is still easily the best team in Europe.

I'm still unconvinced about Bayern in Europe because...they almost screwed up against a weakened Arsenal team. Complacency will hurt them.

Barcelona is still the best team in Europe...even though they aren't favourites for the UCL trophy this season.

Mostly due to Barca not having a fucking manager for a couple months now. And people say it's a walk in the park to manage Barca...

Their performance against Milan was possibly the best I've seen from them since 2011, no matter how shit Milan were.

I don't support this, "Bayern is the best team in Europe" trend at all. I despise both clubs and I wished they both drew each other, but Barca is still easily the best team in Europe.

I disagree. They had a great performance against Milan but...they were bad in the first leg and the second leg, they dominated for the first 20-30 minutes but still gave Milan plenty of chances on the counter. (And Milan is hardly a European powerhouse this year). I think Barcelona is as good as anyone in Europe, but they also are definitely not the team they were a few years ago. Some of it is a lack of a manager, but I also think it's more. They are predictable offensively and if you can shut down the centre of the pitch, you can limit them. Against us last season, yes, they were unlucky, but by the end of the second leg, despite being up by a man, they had run out of ideas. If you are an organized team like Madrid or Juventus or Bayern, I definitely see Barcelona as beatable. Their defenders are also vastly overrated. I don't think any of them are all that good but years of never conceding possession and not having to defend has people thinking they are world-class (and I think Valdes is not all that great either).

I disagree. They had a great performance against Milan but...they were bad in the first leg and the second leg, they dominated for the first 20-30 minutes but still gave Milan plenty of chances on the counter. (And Milan is hardly a European powerhouse this year). I think Barcelona is as good as anyone in Europe, but they also are definitely not the team they were a few years ago. Some of it is a lack of a manager, but I also think it's more. They are predictable offensively and if you can shut down the centre of the pitch, you can limit them. Against us last season, yes, they were unlucky, but by the end of the second leg, despite being up by a man, they had run out of ideas. If you are an organized team like Madrid or Juventus or Bayern, I definitely see Barcelona as beatable. Their defenders are also vastly overrated. I don't think any of them are all that good but years of never conceding possession and not having to defend has people thinking they are world-class (and I think Valdes is not all that great either).

Yet last year towards the end of the year they lacked a pure finisher. Messi was racking up goals left and right, but Villa's absence gave them no presence of a player just to put the ball away. It's been hurting them throughout their campaign. If they are predictable offensively then how have they had so much success in the past years if not being able to cope with? Their past few games was down to management which is how they were so condensed and narrow. Iniesta/Cesc out wide is always going to cause damage but limit their width. I've always said Barca are better when Iniesta/Cesc/Xavi are not on the pitch together. At the Camp Nou, they played to their strengths and tweaked their tactics which got them their victory in such a performance. Not to mention Barca's off the ball pressure causes the highest amount of pressure to the opposition and tend to fail in keeping possession, hence Barca having so much of it. Which I am fully expecting that happening to Bayern.

I do agree however about their defense in exception to Alba and Puyol. You put pressure on them, you expose them. Madrid has learned this through trial and error. They are beatable, but they are still the best team in Europe and 100% justifiable.

Yet last year towards the end of the year they lacked a pure finisher. Messi was racking up goals left and right, but Villa's absence gave them no presence of a player just to put the ball away. It's been hurting them throughout their campaign. If they are predictable offensively then how have they had so much success in the past years if not being able to cope with? Their past few games was down to management which is how they were so condensed and narrow. Iniesta/Cesc out wide is always going to cause damage but limit their width. I've always said Barca are better when Iniesta/Cesc/Xavi are not on the pitch together. At the Camp Nou, they played to their strengths and tweaked their tactics which got them their victory in such a performance. Not to mention Barca's off the ball pressure causes the highest amount of pressure to the opposition and tend to fail in keeping possession, hence Barca having so much of it. Which I am fully expecting that happening to Bayern.

I do agree however about their defense in exception to Alba and Puyol. You put pressure on them, you expose them. Madrid has learned this through trial and error. They are beatable, but they are still the best team in Europe and 100% justifiable.

I agree with you about Fabergas/Iniesta/Xavi combo. All of them are fantastic players but in football you need more than just talent and I think Fabergas actually imbalances the squad. (Which I think is a similar problem that we're having but on a lower scale). It's one of the many problems of some teams having too much money. Fabergas is an elite player and would be running most teams in the world, but in Barcelona, he's probably best used as a squad player. I think Alba is incredible going forward but a little lightweight defensively. He's still be the defender I'd choose from them. Puyol at this point is a lot like Terry IMO. Still a very solid defender and a leader but he's really slow and if Barcelona weren't so dominant in controlling the ball, he'd be exposed by quick forwards. (He's also missed a lot of time over the past 3 years.)

LMAO at people underestimating Juve :lol: Juve are favorites to go through, they play the perfect style of football to counter Bayern.

Not really, dont let your love blind you mate! :D

Bayern has a slight advantage...

Not really, dont let your love blind you mate! :D

Bayern has a slight advantage...

Not judging by my love for Juve at all, but Juve have a better defense and more importantly a better midfield while Bayern have better wingers and both teams have a shit attack. I won't go on about it, but you'll see it in the match.