Does size matter?

Drogzola

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry that it disappointed you.

All that I found was that we lost a large amount of physical battles.

All I am wondering is that is it a physical problem or is it a mental one?

Don't be sorry, I thought it was about more manly 'things'. If you catch my drift.

I think our players just aren't committed.

But look at the quality of those players and compare them to ours. And even then, Barcelona struggle against strong Italian/German/English sides with good physicality.

You're completely right. Inter Milan proved that if you can bully Barca enough you can break them.

*ignores innuendo, reluctantly*

Yes it does, in the Premier League. Not saying everyone needs to built like Drogba, Lukaku, Rooney etc. But there must be some work on body strength especially in central positions like striker, attack mid, defensive mid & centre back. Out wide it's not so important because less body weight can give you better speed which is why the likes of Ron, Alves etc can get away with it.

The obvious case here is of Josh McEachran. He's far too under-built at the moment to come with the demands that are required for him to play at the level we all want him too. Of course, he's very young so it's not like he's not going to change in the next 2 years, but I'm sure coaches are telling him to spend more time in the gym and alter his diet so that he can grow.

Not saying it's everything because you do have the exceptions like Messi & co who can adapt, but I believe in the PL (especially) you do need to be able to hold your own. Not necessarily by being built as an ox, but just have upper body strength to hold off some defending players.

Look no further than Meireles when it comes to that. Some people are blinded by his thuggish look, he'll shy away from a lot of one-on-ones.

Yeah I agree, He seems to shy away from everything! We should stop signing players from Liverpool. :no:

True. But my point was more, if size does matter, then Barça should struggle against everyone, since five of their starters (and key players) are small in size and weight. It is not the case, and despite their small size, they can cope with physical challenge. On the other hand, despite having a team composed of relatively big and tall players, we seem to lose physical battles against anyone.

Ah fair point, misunderstood your point :D Agree with you though, but I can only assume they've been instructed to play less physically? Because let's face it, even the likes of Malouda and Torres are actually very strong, but they are just bouncing off defenders at the minute.

Read a report that avb's trainings are not as intense as previous managers. He's done away with numerous activities that made us the almost fit team in the league. That's where our problem is. It's not size, but I understand where your coming from when u think that. It's the actual fitness of

Read a report that avb's trainings are not as intense as previous managers. He's done away with numerous activities that made us the almost fit team in the league. That's where our problem is. It's not size, but I understand where your coming from when u think that. It's the actual fitness of Our players.