Does size matter?

Drogzola

I was just wondering whether our players seem so much smaller than the other teams? I know football isn't rugby but I cant seem to notice that we loose a lot of physical battles. We have a couple of players that punch above their weight class, like Terry and Essien but we have players that have the heart but no weight in the shoulder to shoulder battle.

We have a couple of players who are strong like Ivanovic, Drogba and Mikel but is that enough?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to previous Chelsea sides, we're no longer overpowering/outmuscling the opposition, especially in the midfield (which is honestly where I think we're missing Mikel). On the reverse though, we've a lot more pace about this team on the counter, which seems to be the direction that AVB was taking with the side, getting the ball deep in our own half and moving it quickly up the pitch. Obviously to do that more effectively, we just need a good distributor of the ball in the middle of the park.

Compared to previous Chelsea sides, we're no longer overpowering/outmuscling the opposition, especially in the midfield (which is honestly where I think we're missing Mikel). On the reverse though, we've a lot more pace about this team on the counter, which seems to be the direction that AVB was taking with the side, getting the ball deep in our own half and moving it quickly up the pitch. Obviously to do that more effectively, we just need a good distributor of the ball in the middle of the park.

Mikel is great for breaking up an attack before it gains momentum but Romeu does a good job at distributing the ball quickly. Our back four is what I am worried about as we lack height and strength, Cahill has added it into the squad but I cant help feel we need one more solid back line player. Someone like a Richards.

I've Noticed too how we get so over powered now, even Arsenal overpowered us which is the most embarrassing thing. Ramires, Mata, Mireles and Torres get bullied, Bos n Ash don't cope great either at the other end. When we had Lamps, Ballack and Essien together, we were the bullies and we simply run games.

Yeah

I've Noticed too how we get so over powered now, even Arsenal overpowered us which is the most embarrassing thing. Ramires, Mata, Mireles and Torres get bullied, Bos n Ash don't cope great either at the other end. When we had Lamps, Ballack and Essien together, we were the bullies and we simply run games.

Yeah at times it just seems like we don't have that bully factor and it is a mental factor for teams we play against. Look at Barca and Man City, They have really quick and nimble midfield and attack but their defenders are all big strong and fast, minus Puyol for the fast part.

Well this topic disapointed me.

Size doesn't exactly matter as much as strength. Cristiano Ronaldo is very tall but I bet he isn't as strong as Lampard.

Sorry that it disappointed you.

All that I found was that we lost a large amount of physical battles.

All I am wondering is that is it a physical problem or is it a mental one?

I was just wondering whether our players seem so much smaller than the other teams? I know football isn't rugby but I cant seem to notice that we loose a lot of physical battles. We have a couple of players that punch above their weight class, like Terry and Essien but we have players that have the heart but no weight in the shoulder to shoulder battle.

We have a couple of players who are strong like Ivanovic, Drogba and Mikel but is that enough?

I think Essien is one who has lost much of his power. He seemed invisible on Saturday when a power player could have been useful.

With Drogba we have seen him win far fewer physical battles this year. We aren't a much smaller team just one that isn't fighting as hard.

Dani Alves -> 173 cm

Xavi -> 170 cm

Iniesta -> 170 cm

Alexis Sanchez -> 169 cm

Messi -> 169 cm

These players mentioned above are not really loosing a lot of battles. If we lose a lots of battles, this is not because of our players' physical capacities and abilities, this is only because of the general apathy running the squad.

I think Essien is one who has lost much of his power. He seemed invisible on Saturday when a power player could have been useful.

With Drogba we have seen him win far fewer physical battles this year. We aren't a much smaller team just one that isn't fighting as hard.

I think Essien is like this because he has just come back from injury, so it might take him time to get back into the hard tacking no nonsense player he was.

....but we still have a very strong squad. I think that if there was more confidence in the team we wouldn´t get bullied that much.

Our back four: obviously the wing-backs aren´t very physical, but they aren´t supposed to be anyway. Or CB´s: Terry, Ivanovic, Cahill and Luiz (who is a massive player, using skill and power likewise, he rarely loses a battle, even if he gives away a peno ;) )

Midfield: Oriol isn´t a strong DM but his game is a little different anyway. Mikel is powerful too, I remember when he was totally man marking Rooney out of a game, Ess would be strong if confident and less injured...

so, long story short, we not only have strong players anmyore, it is getting a bit mixed with players like Mata, Oriol, etc. But i think that is what AVB wants.

If you think about it, it´s a real shame that we missed out on Modric. He would be the perfect player in midfield to distribute the balls. Oriol does that, sort of, but not as attacking minded as Luka but certainly more diagonal than Mikel.

Dani Alves -> 173 cm

Xavi -> 170 cm

Iniesta -> 170 cm

Alexis Sanchez -> 169 cm

Messi -> 169 cm

These players mentioned above are not really loosing a lot of battles. If we lose a lots of battles, this is not because of our players' physical capacities and abilities, this is only because of the general apathy running the squad.

But look at the quality of those players and compare them to ours. And even then, Barcelona struggle against strong Italian/German/English sides with good physicality.

But look at the quality of those players and compare them to ours. And even then, Barcelona struggle against strong Italian/German/English sides with good physicality.

True. But my point was more, if size does matter, then Barça should struggle against everyone, since five of their starters (and key players) are small in size and weight. It is not the case, and despite their small size, they can cope with physical challenge. On the other hand, despite having a team composed of relatively big and tall players, we seem to lose physical battles against anyone.

Dani Alves -> 173 cm

Xavi -> 170 cm

Iniesta -> 170 cm

Alexis Sanchez -> 169 cm

Messi -> 169 cm

Yeah the players mentioned all have exceptional feet and get out of most situations with skill or a dive hehehehe