AVB "is" right about B Teams

chrismada9

One question I'd like to ask, is "Could English B teams really boost our chances of England winning a World Cup?"

A few weeks ago, Andre Villas-Boas spoke about a possible set-up, where English 'B-Teams' from some of the country's biggest clubs would be introduced in order to establish and bring up some of England's freshest and brightest talents. These teams would compete in the lower leagues such as the Coca-Cola Championship so that some of our youth players would have more of a chance to compete on a much bigger and broader stage, rather than just play against reserve sides. The stupid idiots at the F.A. slammed the idea almost immediately, but I just want to take this opportunity, to iron out some reasons why I support AVB in this idea.

First, and foremost, is that it would rapidly improve English youth development! If you take Real Madrid and Barcelona for example, you tend to see players coming through their B sides, and lasting a hell of a long time at their respective clubs, gaining recognition, and thus representing their national side, and becoming key players. Take Andres Iniesta for example! Back in 2003, he was recognised as a huge talent at Barcelona. Back then, there were players like Eto'o, Ronaldinho and Xavi to help Iniesta along. The same is happening to Busquets (bar the incredible play-acting)... these key players underlined in this article have also been a part of Spain's success on the international stage in recent years, winning the Euros in 2008, and the World Cup in 2010... part of the success comes through experience, and some of Spain's B teams provide that, especially when the younger players take on some of the older, more experienced players in order to understand their game!

One other key factor in the idea of B sides in England, is that it would benefit the international side greatly. The idea, is to give Capello a headache... more talented players mean more hunger to want to represent their country in later years... with this in mind, it will give some of our young talent, something to work for. Right now, we're st a stage, where some of our young, raw talent get stale by sitting on the sidelines, getting no action at all.. so what do we do about it? We loan them out to Championship clubs, hoping they will get a game or two... sometimes, these clubs are at a strong stage of the season, and they have no space for loaned players to just come into their team and change anything. Instead, they get the same treatment, sitting on the sidelines, then what happens when they come back... you guessed it... more bench warming!

B sides can change this drastically. A team of young, hungry players are guaranteed weekly league games on the big stage, and thus, getting more recognition, meaning a possible place in the national side. The more of a headache Capello has, the more chance we have of building a powerful England team in the future... if you compare that with the idea of being singled out while on loan at a Championship club because the manager is happy with the current eleven that he plays every week, that's one hell of an improvement.

Spain are doing it, German sides are doing it.. hopefully when Dale Jennings rids the ankle injury he has, he can become the next Michael Owen at Bayern Munich, while playing for the club's second team. England have the chance of doing it as well because we have so much talent to show.. so why not set up a whole team of young adversaries who have bright futures, to go out there every week, against experienced professionals, and show us all what they've got! You never know, Capello could pick us a winning World Cup side in 2014 using this idea!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But what about those Championship, League 1, League 2 etc teams?

They work so hard for where they go, in the league there are some quality players. Look at Grant Holt. Before Norwich picked him up, he was at some League 2 team or something and through hard work he's become noticed. It's a fear that B-teams will hamper the progression of players in these lesser clubs, it'll take away some of that competitive glamour & make those guys disillusioned.

But what about those Championship, League 1, League 2 etc teams?

They work so hard for where they go, in the league there are some quality players. Look at Grant Holt. Before Norwich picked him up, he was at some League 2 team or something and through hard work he's become noticed. It's a fear that B-teams will hamper the progression of players in these lesser clubs, it'll take away some of that competitive glamour & make those guys disillusioned.

I can definitely see your arguement from your point of view! There are some wonderful clubs out there that nurture certain players really well such as Swansea, Bolton, Villa and, as you say, Norwich! Trouble is, people like Grant Holt aren't younger than some of the raw talents we should be nurturing more thoroughly! Holt is a fantastic player, I won't take that away from him, but he's 30, and I don't see him boasting as many years as some of the other young talents knocking about!

---

Another reason that I forgot to mention in the article above on having B Teams, is that a lot of the bigger teams would find it ten times easier to follow the homegrown rule, because they would be able to select the best English talents from their B teams, and then register them as homegrown since they would have played there for a couple of years, and would have gained valueable experience in the process!

I can definitely see your arguement from your point of view! There are some wonderful clubs out there that nurture certain players really well such as Swansea, Bolton, Villa and, as you say, Norwich! Trouble is, people like Grant Holt aren't younger than some of the raw talents we should be nurturing more thoroughly! Holt is a fantastic player, I won't take that away from him, but he's 30, and I don't see him boasting as many years as some of the other young talents knocking about!

---

Another reason that I forgot to mention in the article above on having B Teams, is that a lot of the bigger teams would find it ten times easier to follow the homegrown rule, because they would be able to select the best English talents from their B teams, and then register them as homegrown since they would have played there for a couple of years, and would have gained valueable experience in the process!

I agree with all your points, as a Chelsea fan.

But as a neutral for both England & English Football, I think it's an (as dave30 said) arrogant idea. It just seems like the 'big boys' flexing their muscles around in the lower divisions because they can't be asked to handle their youth progression in an accurate manner.

While I agree something must be done in the reserve league & youth league, this solution seems like it will ruin the structure of English league. I think the Championship is like the most watched 2nd division in World Football (not too sure if that's still true or not).

I agree with all your points, as a Chelsea fan.

But as a neutral for both England & English Football, I think it's an (as dave30 said) arrogant idea. It just seems like the 'big boys' flexing their muscles around in the lower divisions because they can't be asked to handle their youth progression in an accurate manner.

While I agree something must be done in the reserve league & youth league, this solution seems like it will ruin the structure of English league. I think the Championship is like the most watched 2nd division in World Football (not too sure if that's still true or not).

Yer completely agree just imagine how the fans of those teams would feel. And im pretty sure the Championship as crazy as it sounds is 3rd most watched league full stop after the Prem and la liga.

long before the idea of squads became the vogue the structure for reserve team football was excellent , The reserve teams were exactly that: a Club's B team Of course even further back there were no bench warmers ,,,now there SEVEN ,,, at least 4 of whom wont get any playing time.

As to the youth team the move should be towards an European League ,,expensive but might be less wasteful than the current set up

as a neutral for both England & English Football, I think it's an (as dave30 said) arrogant idea. It just seems like the 'big boys' flexing their muscles around in the lower divisions because they can't be asked to handle their youth progression in an accurate manner.

You say something like that, but at the end of the day, compare the Premier League with the Championship, and you'll find that some of the teams in the Championship, are able to concentrate more on the game, rather than bitch to the referee about getting fouled, or trying to play for a free kick. That's why I tend to think that most of the time, the Championship matches are more enjoyable to watch in terms of player competition. Players in the Championship don't give a shit about all that so-called "play-acting"... they are out there to compete for a place in the Premier League. They want to play in the top flight more than anything, and, as a result, this gives the players, something to play for, which helps them concentrate more on improving their game. Premier League players I find sometimes, are more interested in playing for a free kick, argue with the referee, or conduct a bit of play-acting sometimes.

While I agree something must be done in the reserve league & youth league, this solution seems like it will ruin the structure of English league.

You're right there! I think it would disrupt the lower leagues, and I concede, that would be the reason why something like this would be a silly idea! ... however, one way to solve that, would be the possibility of having more teams included in each division, so for example... have 26 teams in the Championship rather than 24.. 26 in League 1 and so on...

If they can't stick B teams straight in the lower league's they need to do something, either one of two things.

Restucture the reserve league and make it a "B" league, have it the same set up as the 4 league's in England a "B" premier, championship,league one, league two with promotion, relegation the lot, communicate with Uefa and have a reserve's champions league across europe, maybe even have a "B" domestic cup aswell, in that way it will be competitive and teams will fight for these places, that way reserve players will be more ready for top level compeititon. Also their will be more and more matches.

another idea

David Moyes wanted to put a Everton "B" side in the conference, and was told the highest level he could do ws some local league and it would take 11 years minimun to get Everton "B" in the conference, he declined that idea but he should have accepted it and in 11-15 years he would be reaping the rewards. Even if our "B" team has to start near the bottom the "B" team could earn a place at a higher level that way.

Either way the reserve system has to be changed.

Good read, but how does it fit in with the B team idea?

Only that quoted part. Link to an article was there so you would know where it's from. :D

My point was that also clubs from those leagues could benefit from this.

For example Scott Sinclair was very important in Swansea's promotion last season.

Only that quoted part. Link to an article was there so you would know where it's from. :D

My point was that also clubs from those leagues could benefit from this.

For example Scott Sinclair was very important in Swansea's promotion last season.

Ah, fair do's!

True. But it's also a fear that the B teams might outshine such individuals and they would be forgotten about.