The loan market

Tomo

Something that has not been very kind to us in recent years and with Sturridge we saw just how benefitial loaning a player to the right club can be.

With Courtious, Kalas, Bruma and hopefully (touch wood) McEachran to add to that list shortly it looks like we are starting to get it right but Kakuta and Van Aanholt are examples of the loan system going badly wrong.

Kakuta may aswell have stayed on our bench in the last year or so and would not have been worse off infact he would probally be better off as atleast he was still training with world class players even if he wasn't playing (no disrespect to Fulham or Bolton).

Courtious so far we seemed to have got right, he is shining at Athletico Madrid and after a couple of years there the plan is to bring him into the premierleague and loan him here before bringing him into our first team squad. Hopefully a similar course of action is happening with Bruma.

Kalas is shining at Vittese and getting rave reviews, maybe he will get a loan at a premierleague club next season?

But back to the original point of the subject we need to start getting our loan moves right for our players more often than not and we should put a clause in the loan contract which means they wont suffer like PVA or Kakuta did.

We should either offer a fiancial incentive to the club we loan our players too if they start a certain amount of their games (75%of them perhaps) or put a clause in that we can re-call them if they don't start say 4 games on the trot.

If we can't find them a premierleague move we should start them lower down. Say League One and if they shine their try and find them a Championship club then a premierleague club then all off a sudden we have a player ready to play for Chelsea, a but like Spurs did with Caulker (loaned him to Yeovil, then Bristol City then Swansea).

But us as a club should try and take steps to prevent our loans going tits up like Kakuta's and Van Aanholt's did.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that has not been very kind to us in recent years and with Sturridge we saw just how benefitial loaning a player to the right club can be.

With Courtious, Kalas, Bruma and hopefully (touch wood) McEachran to add to that list shortly it looks like we are starting to get it right but Kakuta and Van Aanholt are examples of the loan system going badly wrong.

Kakuta may aswell have stayed on our bench in the last year or so and would not have been worse off infact he would probally be better off as atleast he was still training with world class players even if he wasn't playing (no disrespect to Fulham or Bolton).

Courtious so far we seemed to have got right, he is shining at Athletico Madrid and after a couple of years there the plan is to bring him into the premierleague and loan him here before bringing him into our first team squad. Hopefully a similar course of action is happening with Bruma.

Kalas is shining at Vittese and getting rave reviews, maybe he will get a loan at a premierleague club next season?

But back to the original point of the subject we need to start getting our loan moves right for our players more often than not and we should put a clause in the loan contract which means they wont suffer like PVA or Kakuta did.

We should either offer a fiancial incentive to the club we loan our players too if they start a certain amount of their games (75%of them perhaps) or put a clause in that we can re-call them if they don't start say 4 games on the trot.

If we can't find them a premierleague move we should start them lower down. Say League One and if they shine their try and find them a Championship club then a premierleague club then all off a sudden we have a player ready to play for Chelsea, a but like Spurs did with Caulker (loaned him to Yeovil, then Bristol City then Swansea).

But us as a club should try and take steps to prevent our loans going tits up like Kakuta's and Van Aanholt's did.

hell we are the club who loaned out Crespo and Sheva and I believe paid part of their wages.

If Van Aanholt stays at Chelsea he'll be a backup because Bertrand is our future #1 left back.

I remember seeing Ryan play for Reading (younger brother supports Reading) and i said to myself this guy is class and has to make it with us, it just had to be i was at The Bridge to witness his debut a year and a half later also :D

• Loan has improved for Chelsea then compare to past seasons, so that's good that the club are finding right places for the youngsters.
  • Now the FA needs to just let team like Chelsea have a B to play the championship, so we can mold our talents better like Barcelona does. Reserve will never get us there. Loaning is great but so shall having more competition for our younger players at completive level.

Don't think the club could have predicted how badly Bolton would be doing this season, Coyle is still a good man-manager. I suppose his loan was unfortunate in the sense that Bolton were in need of form and weren't prepared to play a loanee with little premier league experience.

I'm still getting my head around PvA's disaster however, don't see why we'd have loaned him to Wigan if they were prepared to play Figueroa at LB anyway. Again, may be due to the fact that they had a bad start to the season and weren't prepared to risk it.

Of course we could loan players to lower league clubs, but if you consider Bertrand, we now have an extremely talented, experienced left back who is unable to get any chances in the first team, and too experienced to go back on loan to anywhere but a top-10 club.

Turns out our club is making correct development/progression of youth talents more difficult than they should be.

I'm still getting my head around PvA's disaster however, don't see why we'd have loaned him to Wigan if they were prepared to play Figueroa at LB anyway. Again, may be due to the fact that they had a bad start to the season and weren't prepared to risk it..

PVA started the first few games in his Wigan loan then Martinez just mysteriously decided to drop him out of the first team picture altogether. My mate who's a Wigan fan said he played well and could not understand the decision either.

Loans are great for developing players and help players gain experience, however I always get a bit twitchy incase the player falls in love with the loan club and wants to stay. I pray that doesn't happen to McEachran!

I don't believe such a clause exists that requires a club to play the players we loan out. Maybe a friendly, verbal, warning that if the club feels they aren't progressing they will pull the plug. We saw this with Van Aanholt and Kakuta. Sometimes it's not the clubs we loan them out to, but the players themselves.

Everyone thinks Owen Coyle is a god, and he deserves the respect he has gained because of what he did with Sturridge & Wilshere. The problem in the past was, the club didn't keep a proper tab on the situation of the loaned players. I believe André has gone to lengths to change this because this is the first season I've seen the club cut short some loan spells.. So it does show they're paying more attention this time around.

We've developed a good relationship with Vitesse. They've turned into our feeder club and are doing us a great service. This is a crucial part of developing good loan destinations because if the club we're loaning to has some assurances of the quality they're receiving they're likely to look after the players a lot more.

The Premier League has it's duty too. They've made strides to stop young kids moving sooner than they should, not they have to make the reserve league a lot more competitive. André has lobbied for the B-team system, afaik. This proposal must be backed by all 20 league coaches.

I don't believe such a clause exists that requires a club to play the players we loan out. Maybe a friendly, verbal, warning that if the club feels they aren't progressing they will pull the plug. We saw this with Van Aanholt and Kakuta. Sometimes it's not the clubs we loan them out to, but the players themselves.

Everyone thinks Owen Coyle is a god, and he deserves the respect he has gained because of what he did with Sturridge & Wilshere. The problem in the past was, the club didn't keep a proper tab on the situation of the loaned players. I believe André has gone to lengths to change this because this is the first season I've seen the club cut short some loan spells.. So it does show they're paying more attention this time around.

I read a piece about Courtois today, saying that he spoke with AVB about his loan and was asking for it to be extended. Good to hear that the manager is taking personal interest in/speaking to players out on loan.

I read a piece about Courtois today, saying that he spoke with AVB about his loan and was asking for it to be extended. Good to hear that the manager is taking personal interest in/speaking to players out on loan.

Yes, exactly. Courtois returned to Cobham over the Xmas period so Chelsea could do tests on him and results showed good progression in his skills. This was unheard of in previous administrations at the club.

It just goes to shows that everything André is doing will be a long-term benefit.

We've developed a good relationship with Vitesse. They've turned into our feeder club and are doing us a great service. This is a crucial part of developing good loan destinations because if the club we're loaning to has some assurances of the quality they're receiving they're likely to look after the players a lot more.

The Premier League has it's duty too. They've made strides to stop young kids moving sooner than they should, not they have to make the reserve league a lot more competitive. André has lobbied for the B-team system, afaik. This proposal must be backed by all 20 league coaches.

Didnt know about that, its really encouraging to hear....But dont see 20 other coaches backing it though :cry:

I personally think Coyle and Bolton are overrated in their handling of youngsters. Sturridge and Wilshere, fair enough they did well but they are two very good players and would have done well wherever they went. Kakuta and Weiss, two players who have talent but need more work came back from Bolton having essentially wasted 6 months of progression.

I personally think Coyle and Bolton are overrated in their handling of youngsters. Sturridge and Wilshere, fair enough they did well but they are two very good players and would have done well wherever they went. Kakuta and Weiss, two players who have talent but need more work came back from Bolton having essentially wasted 6 months of progression.

I am agree about Sturridge. I am 100% convinced that if Ancelotti would have given him playing time, he would have shined exactly like he did at Bolton.

I say we should stop sanding our non-english youth players to english clubs, because clearly they have no interest of playing them. Intended or untended prejudice but clearly they are not given a fair chance.

Posters here mention our rivals most successful loan transfers; Wilshere, Walker, Welbeck, and Cleverley. Sturridge was our most successful loan transfer, and it seems to me only english players are given a fair chance on loan in England.

Can anyone name a few or even one non-english player that thrived on a loan to another english club?

This season our most successful loan stories are Kalas, Courtois, and Bruma. Pretty sure none of them would've gotten a chance at a english club.

I say we should stop sanding our non-english youth players to english clubs, because clearly they have no interest of playing them. Intended or untended prejudice but clearly they are not given a fair chance.

Posters here mention our rivals most successful loan transfers; Wilshere, Walker, Welbeck, and Cleverley. Sturridge was our most successful loan transfer, and it seems to me only english players are given a fair chance on loan in England.

Can anyone name a few or even one non-english player that thrived on a loan to another english club?

This season our most successful loan stories are Kalas, Courtois, and Bruma. Pretty sure none of them would've gotten a chance at a english club.

I think you're absolutely right. That's why I believe Kakuta will excel now that he's gone back to his home land.

interesting thought.... haven't thought about it like this before

• Loan has improved for Chelsea then compare to past seasons, so that's good that the club are finding right places for the youngsters.
  • Now the FA needs to just let team like Chelsea have a B to play the championship, so we can mold our talents better like Barcelona does. Reserve will never get us there. Loaning is great but so shall having more competition for our younger players at completive level.

AVB claims English football's structure needs a revamp... or the national team will suffer

and

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9026600/Brazilian-teenager-Piazon-heads-Chelseas-next-generation.html

B)